TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89

DE
DE88 UTV Newsline
JAS84 posted:
Maybe BBC One will do something similar to their current idents - people doing Christmas stuff on their own? It'll need to either be home filmed like the lockdown Oneness idents, or animated. Reusing any from the last few years is a no-go.

Honestly, I expect channels to go all out this year. I think it’ll be earlier than ever. Similarly we’ll see people decorating earlier than ever. It’s been a miserable year and people want escapism.

Christmas idents in November...

Matthew Harris, AKA Applemask, hasn't been impressed by BBC1 and 2 launching their Christmas looks in the first few days of December in recent years (when Sprout Boy and "Two two two, two two two, two two two two two..." launched bang on the 1st in 2015, he said that it "effectively detonated the entire concept of anticipation"). Truth be told, I don't expect him to be any more impressed if any channel launches their look *before* the 1st, no mattter what the situation is then...
"What is two plus two?" "Rather more than three." "Yes, but can you be more specific?" "The Belgians."
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Ah, it was 2015. I was looking for those for my Christmas post but couldn't find them so had to go with Oneness instead.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.

83 days later

CY
cylon6 London London
I'd just like to say that I'm annoyed Intense hasn't been used for trailers yet and Thought Provoking was only used once for a short trail for Front Row late in 2018.

Sort it out!!!! Very Happy

15 days later

LW
LWTfan1968 Recently warned World News
There's no BBC TWO Channel of the Year logo this time... not a big fan of the idents as a whole (TSW's original ident is better animated than a couple of them, and some have unsettling noises)
I think the reason I don't get replies is because I'm 5 hours behind most of the forum.
BR
not a big fan of the idents as a whole

How on earth did you get past security? Laughing
AndrewPSSP, JamesLaverty1925 and Rexogamer gave kudos
LW
not a big fan of the idents as a whole

How on earth did you get past security? Laughing

__ Laughing __/
I think the reason I don't get replies is because I'm 5 hours behind most of the forum.
Rexogamer and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
NA
natwel27 Meridian (South East) South East Today
It's bizarre how they haven't promoted the Channel of the Year success this time round. Though I'd rather nothing at all than a dodgy effort like that awful tracking they had during the Window on the World era (I don't see how they could mess up this time around however).
LW
thats supposed to be me shrugging, by the way
AndrewPSSP, Rexogamer and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
BR
These idents are too nice for unnecessary unscreen junk. They've mentioned it verbally in some junctions but TBH if you are truly deserving of the award, which BBC2 certainly are, then it shouldn't need mentioning that often.

One thing that could work though if they get it right is have it in a sting interupting the ident, so open the ident up as in the trailers and to reveal an animation declaring them Channel of the Year, then close it and play the ident as normal.
LW
These idents are too nice for unnecessary unscreen junk. They've mentioned it verbally in some junctions but TBH if you are truly deserving of the award, which BBC2 certainly are, then it shouldn't need mentioning that often.

One thing that could work though if they get it right is have it in a sting interupting the ident, so open the ident up as in the trailers and to reveal an animation declaring them Channel of the Year, then close it and play the ident as normal.

Honestly, this wouldn't be a problem if they realized that they could put "Channel of the Year" in small text under the BBC TWO logo like the BBC TWO Northern Ireland one that's been used since 2015.
LW
I also love some of Wikipedia's excuses for some of the idents: "Celebratory 27 September 2018 – present A multicoloured firework theme makes up the sides of the 2 curve, inspired by Firecracker from the 1991 set . Often used for entertainment, sport and music programming." Oh yes because a 2 being damaged by firecrackers definately inspired someone at Superunion to create an ident with fireworks. Totally.
DD
DemonDays Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I also love some of Wikipedia's excuses for some of the idents: "Celebratory 27 September 2018 – present A multicoloured firework theme makes up the sides of the 2 curve, inspired by Firecracker from the 1991 set . Often used for entertainment, sport and music programming." Oh yes because a 2 being damaged by firecrackers definately inspired someone at Superunion to create an ident with fireworks. Totally.

I do feel the current lot maybe don't exist without the likes of Optics, Diary, and Cooper Cut-Out.

The association with Firecracker, however, is decidedly flimsy.

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic