TV Home Forum

The state of TV fonts

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
Roger Darthwell
a new font that had no reason to exist whatsoever

Except to supposedly save the BBC money.

And you really believe them? I stopped believing that a long time ago, and if you want I can explain you why
JO
Joe

It’s an odd position to take over a typeface.
RD
Roger Darthwell
Joe posted:

It’s an odd position to take over a typeface.

It's not only about a typeface mate
RD
Roger Darthwell
You wanted an explanation, I am giving it to you. The thing is I have a serious trust issue with the BBC, and I am acutely aware with what I am going to say I will probably be accused of being repetitive but I don't care. So this new font was introduced with the excuse to ''save money'' and do you know what the BBC also did 4 years ago using the same excuse? Closing BBC3's TV channel!, but only in 2019 the BBC announced the launch of this BBC Scotland channel with a £32million budget, and I thought to myself...hold on a minute, didn't the BBC explained that BBC3 was closed in order to save £30million due to ''budget cuts'', and I became really angry, because I realized that they lied, they shamelessly lied. So this is more of a trust issue for me, I always think that the BBC shamelessly lied about the closure of BBC3...using the excuse of ''saving money'' and now they want to use the exact same excuse for the introduction of this new font? I don't believe them...and this saddens me. But this is not the end of the story, you see 2 years ago when this font was introduced.....a guy on Twitter which I knew, wrote that a friend of his who works at the BBC revealed to him that in reality the BBC had absolutely no problems to maintain Gill Sans as it's typeface! Thus proving to me that they lied as well on this one, what happened later is that this guy on Twitter later deleted that revelation saying that, just as TheSebastian wrote, that the BBC might have paid for the use of Gill Sans, so I confronted him by asking him if his friend had actually lied to him when he said that the Beeb had no issues in maintaining Gill Sans as their typeface....he replied to me by saying ''Not necessarily''. So I have explained everything now...and I know I am going to be attacked to be this, I will get accused of being repetitive, but I had to get all of this off my chest. My apologies if someone will be offended in any way, and I want to stress this, you guys like the new reith font? That's fine by me, Thank you PS sorry for the long post
KK
KolonelKlink
But this is not the end of the story, you see 2 years ago when this font was introduced.....a guy on Twitter which I knew, wrote that a friend of his who works at the BBC revealed to him that in reality the BBC had absolutely no problems to maintain Gill Sans as it's typeface! Thus proving to me that they lied

Ah well, case closed Rolling Eyes
RD
Roger Darthwell
Quote:
Removed

Thank you very much for what you wrote
RD
Roger Darthwell
But this is not the end of the story, you see 2 years ago when this font was introduced.....a guy on Twitter which I knew, wrote that a friend of his who works at the BBC revealed to him that in reality the BBC had absolutely no problems to maintain Gill Sans as it's typeface! Thus proving to me that they lied

Ah well, case closed Rolling Eyes

What do you mean with this?
DO
dosxuk
The BBC wasted time and money on this new font, while instead they could have used Gill Sans Nova, which is the perfect evolution of Gill Sans, also I don't understand their reasoning of keeping the BBC blocks in Gill Sans, even after that reith font is introduced, but I do respect your point of view

You realise they would have to pay a significant sum of money to licence the use of Gill Sans Nova, on a recurring basis.

There are no licence fees associated with a logo that you own the IP to, so there is no cost to the BBC to carry on using the Gill based blocks. Many companies have logos containing letter shapes from a different font to that they use for writing.

The BBC have calculated that it will save money over time to own the rights to their own font vs licencing them commercially. You may consider that money saving a waste of time and effort but apparently their financial controllers disagree with your expert option.
bkman1990, bilky asko and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
RD
Roger Darthwell
The BBC wasted time and money on this new font, while instead they could have used Gill Sans Nova, which is the perfect evolution of Gill Sans, also I don't understand their reasoning of keeping the BBC blocks in Gill Sans, even after that reith font is introduced, but I do respect your point of view

You realise they would have to pay a significant sum of money to licence the use of Gill Sans Nova, on a recurring basis.

There are no licence fees associated with a logo that you own the IP to, so there is no cost to the BBC to carry on using the Gill based blocks. Many companies have logos containing letter shapes from a different font to that they use for writing.

The BBC have calculated that it will save money over time to own the rights to their own font vs licencing them commercially. You may consider that money saving a waste of time and effort but apparently their financial controllers disagree with your expert option.

In this case please tell me how much money did the BBC paid for the use of Gill Sans in all the years it has been used? If font royalties was the problem then in this case they should have ditched that font years ago already, right? and I have never considered money saving a waste of time and effort, because what the BBC are doing right now is anything but saving money. Still, it's not an issue for me that you like the reith font, everyone is entitled to it's own opinion, I am just stating the obvious
MD
mdtauk

I found it funny that Martin referred to Chadwick as "sober" Very Happy

...I know, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, I just found it funny

I tried to pick wording which was objective and without opinion. Sober fit the bill imo.
Alfie Mulcahy and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
AP
AndrewPSSP
DTV posted:
It's a quick mock-up, but I think a Gill Sans logo would sit quite nicely aside the current BBC News graphics.

In a way, this already happens on the BBC Burmese Service's video bulletins
(On a slightly unrelated note, I've been trawling around all the other services and those that do a video bulletin seem to still be using the 2013 style..
e.g. the Hindi service: *)
Ittr and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
DO
dosxuk

In this case please tell me how much money did the BBC paid for the use of Gill Sans in all the years it has been used

If you'd like to know that, you'll probably need to do a FOI request. I can tell you a licence for a single computer for desktop use only runs around the £300 mark for the family. The sums increase significantly once you start wanting licences that let you embed the font into things.

Still, it's not an issue for me that you like the reith font, everyone is entitled to it's own opinion, I am just stating the obvious

I have not stated my opinion on Reith.

Newer posts