TV Home Forum

Christmas presentation question

How early is too early? (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
I was listening to Heart Breakfast this morning and they've been running this segment for the past few days where if the listener on the phone got 5 Christmas-related trivia questions right, they'd "switch on" Christmas early starting with an hour of back-to-back Christmas songs. Quite an interesting concept which can be seen here:

Obviously this example is radio so may not be the same but what is the earliest/latest a channel has launched their Christmas presentation?
JB
JasonB
The shopping channels have had theirs up since October!
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Greatest Hits and some of the other Bauer stations played an hour of Christmas music this morning.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Well...

I think Magic Radio launched the pop-up 100% Christmas station in August.

While on TV, Sony Movies Christmas launched on 24th September, and Trace Xmas launched 1st October
JO
Jonwo
Channel 5 started their Christmas movies in late October.
BR
Brekkie
Presentation wise I think we've had to surrender to the fact that nowadays it'll be closer to the 1st December than the 24th December, and I think that'll be the same this year. Of course the adverts and movies come earlier, and feels like the music comes earlier and earlier. This year though it does feel like it's being forced upon us earlier in the media in general to supposedly cheer us up.
FA
fanoftv
I think the media are reacting to the audience though, if my social media timelines are anything to go by as a high proportion of friends have already got Christmas decorations up... I don’t blame them after this year, therefore I can definitely see most networks changing to Christmas presentation at the start of December.
CA
Cando
I think the media are reacting to the audience though, if my social media timelines are anything to go by as a high proportion of friends have already got Christmas decorations up....

I've noticed the exact same, I don't think we can blame the media for it.
JO
Jonwo
Cando posted:
I think the media are reacting to the audience though, if my social media timelines are anything to go by as a high proportion of friends have already got Christmas decorations up....

I've noticed the exact same, I don't think we can blame the media for it.

I've been playing my Christmas music playlist since November 1st....
VM
VMPhil
Each to their own, but I'd rather not be sick of Christmas by the time it's actually Christmas, especially this year Smile
DD
DemonDays
The national lockdown ends on 2nd December. With that in mind, I think it makes a lot of sense for BBC1 to repeat last year's strategy ('switching on the Xmas lights' at the end of The One Show) as it'll also be on Lockdown Eve.

We saw in October how businesses were anticipating a second lockdown by trying to start the Christmas rush early. People want something to look forward to. They want the festive season to begin.

There's no chance of a delay this year unless one of the bridges goes down during the next week. And even then, Forth Bridge would only push the Christmas idents back by a couple of days.

It'll be 1 Dec for BBC1, with BBC2 either following on the same time on the 2nd, or updating at the same time
as or after BBC1 on the same evening.
Last edited by DemonDays on 22 November 2020 4:07pm - 2 times in total
JK
JKDerry
Would BBC One not wait until Saturday December 5th to launch their Christmas presentation before Strictly Come Dancing?

Newer posts