TV Home Forum

BBC One Breakdown

Major Technical fault before Panorama - Video on page 11 (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
commseng
The switch we used to kill the NICAM for the annual RBS tests would be how the NICAM was cut during the fault conditions, so it would affect the whole country.
It was the glitches that were heard that interested me, the furthest south I think they would have been heard is the Oxford transmitter.
But I have never worked out whether given the fault on the distribution was towards Wales / West if Wenvoe and North Hessary Tor also had issues.
MA
Markymark
The switch we used to kill the NICAM for the annual RBS tests would be how the NICAM was cut during the fault conditions, so it would affect the whole country.
It was the glitches that were heard that interested me, the furthest south I think they would have been heard is the Oxford transmitter.
But I have never worked out whether given the fault on the distribution was towards Wales / West if Wenvoe and North Hessary Tor also had issues.

There were glitches I heard that were close to home, so Oxford derived. There were other glitches while on Wrotham and Rowridge. Whether that was erroneous RDS switching due to the lift conditions, I don't know, but that didn't help. Didn't the feeds (NICAM and telly) to Southampton and Rowridge go via Bristol in the Energis dist era?
MA
Markymark
Out of interest, where on the coast were you? My understanding is that it affected the Midlands all points north and west of there, plus of course the Oxford tx (an RBR of Sutton Coldfield).
The south coast should have been error free. I'm not sure if the problem affected the West, South West and Wales?

Well, that's the thing, started off on Oxford, then a bit of Wrotham/Guildford, then Rowridge (we had gone to Selsey).

Rowridge was definitely on RBS, because the RDS ID had the decimal point. So, and it's not clear from the account, that Rowridge must have had its NICAM feed cut too as part of the measures. The report mentions that neither Wrotham or Rowridge were affected by the drop outs (which makes sense, because the affected equipment was 'north of London', but it seems they must have cut ALL NICAM feeds (except perhaps the feed to Wrotham ?)

I think from what I read that they force it into RBS by taking the NICAM coders out of circuit.

Oxford is an interesting case, it has a second RBS source (Wrotham?) which it can switch to when Sutton Coldfield needs to go into RBS, so Oxford becomes the source for SC rather than its relay.

Maybe that complicated setup is part of why Radio 1 failed to switch over properly at SC?

It did, there is an interlock at SC to avoid howlround, that had to br manually switched. Same for telly with the CP Hannington Rowridge RBS chain!
LW
LWTfan1968
also, for anyone who missed it , the episode of panorama that led to the making of this thread is being shown at a quarter to one tonight
DV
dvboy
also, for anyone who missed it , the episode of panorama that led to the making of this thread is being shown at a quarter to one tonight

on BBC Two with signing
LW
LWTfan1968
dvboy posted:

on BBC Two with signing

yeah, sorry, forgot to mention the channel.
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:

on BBC Two with signing

Surely it's on iplayer isn't it?
LL
Larry the Loafer
dvboy posted:
on BBC Two with signing

Surely it's on iplayer isn't it?

It is. I watched it last night.
BR
Brekkie
Presumably now they seem to take the off air version for the iPlayer rather than the delivered programme as they used too it took a bit longer to get on there.
OV
Orry Verducci
Presumably now they seem to take the off air version for the iPlayer rather than the delivered programme as they used too it took a bit longer to get on there.

I believe both is the answer.

As I understand it programmes are made available immediately after transmission by using the video segments encoded for the live stream, as also used by the live rewind feature. These are then replaced later on by higher quality encodes from the delivered master files if available.

For programmes that aren't live or delivered late, I think they now also take the master files and encode them ahead of time so they're ready to be published straight away.

Newer posts