TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
Cold Open
Just wondering if ITV may take Utv's birthday to implement any changes any thoughts on this as we already have the main itv dog on screen now anyway so would not be hard to carry the process on.

I doubt that their 61st birthday will have anything done, especially since they did nothing for their 60th.

Did their 60th at least get a passing mention during that day's main UTV Live bulletin (I'm sure that the 59th did), or literally no acknowledgement whatsoever?
JK
JKDerry
Just wondering if ITV may take Utv's birthday to implement any changes any thoughts on this as we already have the main itv dog on screen now anyway so would not be hard to carry the process on.

I doubt that their 61st birthday will have anything done, especially since they did nothing for their 60th.

Did their 60th at least get a passing mention during that day's main UTV Live bulletin (I'm sure that the 59th did), or literally no acknowledgement whatsoever?

I can't remember any mention at all. Probably it did get a mention on the news bulletin and that was it. Times have changed at UTV since 2016.
PF
PFML84
It was mentioned on the news bulletins on the day and there were new interviews with past and present staff about the channel. After ITV took over they made more fanfare with the documentary charting the history of UTV but not for its actual birthday which seemed strange.
TI
This Is Granada

Julian mentioned the 60th anniversary on 3 daytime junctions (9:25am, 12:30pm then either the 1:30pm or 2pm ident...I can't remember which?) Then we had the UTV Live bulletins throughout the day mention it, with the main UTV Live At 6 showing a fair decent report on Ulster TV's/UTV history.

And that was as exciting as it got for the 60th. Not a mention by Julian on any prime time idents which I thought was a shame.

As for the 61st, I'm expecting nothing.

Still hoping for a Julian/Gillian return to 'The UTV' soon.
KE
kernow
It was mentioned on the news bulletins on the day and there were new interviews with past and present staff about the channel. After ITV took over they made more fanfare with the documentary charting the history of UTV but not for its actual birthday which seemed strange.

They had the "Unlocking Havelock" series in October 2018, just before UTV's 59th birthday.

There was then a series of Rewind with Julian in early 2019.

As previously mentioned, they just had a report on UTV Live for the 60th birthday.

15 days later

UM
UlsterMan123
See attached article

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/old-utv-building-havelock-house-one-northern-irelands-best-known-cultural-landmarks-yet-it-be-flattened-2906900
CO
Cold Open
Even before UTV had vacated, the website of the relevant estate agent was advertising it as a site rather than as a building. Thus rather implying that demolition and redevelopment was always anticipated.

I presume that there are practical reasons why the existing building being adapted for a new purpose isn't seen as a particularly viable or attractive option? (Seemingly ruled out from the outset?)

I'm sure that I won't be alone in hoping (c.f. expecting/requiring/demanding) that whatever new building is erected on the site is named as... erm... "Havelock House".
PF
PFML84
For the last few days, the standard generic ITV News voiceover has been used to introduce UTV Live and not the Northern Ireland one. Carelessness or a hint of changes coming soon...?
TI
tightrope78
Even before UTV had vacated, the website of the relevant estate agent was advertising it as a site rather than as a building. Thus rather implying that demolition and redevelopment was always anticipated.

I presume that there are practical reasons why the existing building being adapted for a new purpose isn't seen as a particularly viable or attractive option? (Seemingly ruled out from the outset?)

I'm sure that I won't be alone in hoping (c.f. expecting/requiring/demanding) that whatever new building is erected on the site is named as... erm... "Havelock House".

It's a very ugly building in a prime residential area near the city centre. The original building has had various nondescript extensions added to it over the years. The Royal Society of Ulster Architects described it as having "no architectural merit" so its demolition is no surprise.
MM
MMcG198
The BBC is reporting that the plan to demolish UTV's old HQ has been rejected:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54987691
JK
JKDerry
Havelock House currently has three television studios still there I presume, just closed up. Studio 1 at 2,500 Sq Ft, Studio 2 at 1,600 Sq Ft and a smaller 1,000 Sq Ft studio - couldn't they be refurbished and used by independent productions, keep the building and use part of it for television, and the rest converted into apartments, like they did on a much larger scale at Television Centre in London.
BR
Brekkie
These television studios just seem to have a way fighting back.

Newer posts