TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2021 - Netherlands - NPO/AVROTROS/NOS

Ahoy Arena - Rotterdam - 18/20/22 May 2021 (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
How about having Ken Bruce on both BBC One and Radio 2? I've put on Radio 2 commentary instead since Wogan left.

The chances of Ken Bruce going to BBC One is pretty slim. They'd probably opt for Rylan.
BR
Brekkie
There is the argument now that the show is primarily in English they don't particularly need a commentator.
DE
DE88
If/when Graham moves on... why not Laura Whitmore?

She's Irish, and she has previous experience as a Eurovision commentator (doing the 2014 semi-finals alongside Scott Mills).
TG
TG
She also quoted various incorrect "facts" as I recall. Please, not her Smile
DE
DE88
TG posted:
She also quoted various incorrect "facts" as I recall. Please, not her Smile

Well, that *was* six years ago... Wink
SH
Sh1ruba
Wish I could commentate, I know lots about Eurovision and I could greet viewers in the host country's language Wink
DE
deejay
Graham has categorically said he’s not stopping doing his BBC one chat show or Eurovision.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Just watched the TVP Welcome show for Sunday's Junior Eurovision. It looks as if they're going to try something somewhat extraordinary with the performers in their own National Studios being superimposed onto a 'common' virtual stage in Warsaw, for distribution by the EBU. I really can't but think there'll be backup tapes a plenty around. Getting the timings sorted will be phenomenally difficult to achieve. A key concern must be for the young performers too working to cues originated from another country.

We'll see on Sunday.
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 23 November 2020 3:33pm
GO
gottago
Just watched the TVP Welcome show for Sunday's Junior Eurovision. It looks as if they're going to try something somewhat extraordinary with the performers in their own National Studios being superimposed onto a 'common' virtual stage in Warsaw, for distribution by the EBU. I really can't but think there'll be backup tapes a plenty around. Getting the timings sorted will be phenomenally difficult to achieve. A key concern must be for the young performers too working to cues originated from another country.

We'll see on Sunday.

Surely it will all be pre-recorded? The actual entries certainly are. I expect many of the kids will just be sat in a set up similar to what the spokespersons have for their live bits but it will be interesting to see how it's all done.
NG
noggin Founding member
There is the argument now that the show is primarily in English they don't particularly need a commentator.

That's a pretty weak argument though - the commentary from Graham, and Sir Terry before him, is a main reason for some of the audience to watch.

Plus there are boring regulatory reasons to have a commentator on a live event - such as to advise when the UK does things differently (no SMS voting), or when voting elements need to be explained more clearly than the host presenters do.

You'd also need a live commentator for compliance reasons - to apologise for elements in the live show were there to be bad language, nudity or to cope in the case of an interruption etc.

Some years the show without commentary would be horrific. (Watching the 'Eurovision Again' commentary-free reruns on YouTube demonstrates how odd the show would be without commentators - it would be a very niche watch).

When you watch with Graham commentating, it's like watching with a friend - for many it just wouldn't be the same without a commentator.

Rylan would be a very good shout as a replacement. He's a Radio Two face, clearly loves Eurovision, is quick witted and is an experienced live presenter, but lets hope Graham sticks with it for years to come.
Last edited by noggin on 24 November 2020 9:27am

10 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Well this is ‘a thing’

I sense a winner.
AG
AxG
Amazing! Very Happy

Edit: If it was true.

Newer posts