TV Home Forum

BBC One Breakdown

Major Technical fault before Panorama - Video on page 11 (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I didn't know there were so many TV Forumers these days! Seriously, though, we should have a membership drive. It looks as though there are lots of geeks out there.

New Recruit Code of Conduct: 1) Loathe Oneness. 2) Praise the founding members regularly. 3) Eat breakfast only between 6am and 9:25am. 4) Wonder why Local TV is still going. 5) Loathe Oneness. 6) Contribute to every breakdown thread going to inflate it to 17 pages after 24hrs. 7) Do not enter into discussion about the TVS archive. 8 ) Loathe Oneness. 9) Clean bird crap off the BIG MOIRA statue in the garden. 10) New recruits must successfully be able to drink coffee every day at 11 at Hyacinth's house without spilling a drop or breaking a cup, as applicable.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I didn't know there were so many TV Forumers these days! Seriously, though, we should have a membership drive. It looks as though there are lots of geeks out there.

New Recruit Code of Conduct: 1) Loathe Oneness. 2) Praise the founding members regularly. 3) Eat breakfast only between 6am and 9:25am. 4) Wonder why Local TV is still going. 5) Loathe Oneness. 6) Contribute to every breakdown thread going to inflate it to 17 pages after 24hrs. 7) Do not enter into discussion about the TVS archive. 8 ) Loathe Oneness. 9) Clean bird crap off the BIG MOIRA statue in the garden. 10) New recruits must successfully be able to drink coffee every day at 11 at Hyacinth's house without spilling a drop or breaking a cup, as applicable.

Surely Tea would be more appropriate for the best China.
DB
dbl
2m EastEnders fans watching half an episode of Panorama there from 8pm!

And they were very vocal about it on Twitter Very Happy
AS
Asa Admin
Showing the filler in Wales sent everything to cock here and like I said created a rod for their own back (Eastenders starting later than Network and the messy crash in after it)

I'm not sure it would have been that bad though? The YouTube video shows the briefest flash of the WILTY titles before the breakdown slide, so presumably had the junction worked, it would have been perfect timing.

One of the rare occasions we had credits -> ident -> next programme, which is obviously quite normal over on ITV.

Given Wales were due to show EE at the same time as Network, I'm guessing they wouldn't bother sourcing it earlier. In normal circumstances there would be absolutely no point. I suppose they could start looking at doing it maybe for flagship programmes in order for the nations to run as independently as possible, but then yesterday's events don't happen every day.

It's always funny seeing the number of people that get their phones out and take a picture of the breakdown slide and post it on Twitter.
TC
TonyCurrie
Wales got EE in the nick of time. Here's an edited version of what occurred.
https://youtu.be/0P-_I6ghgpA
:-(
A former member
Announcer hoping for 'calm and quiet' tonight.
TI
TIGHazard
Well I suspose if anyone here really wants to know what happened, they could file a Freedom of Information Act request, like someone did after the 2007 BBC Radio Incident.

http://www.lamont.me.uk/broadcast/
HA
harshy Founding member
Standard UK broadcast bitrate and codec for HD show delivery - as per DPP AS11 - is 100Mbs AVCi100. Add on to that the 1.15Mbs per track bitrate requirement for 48k/24bit PCM uncompressed audio tracks (usually 4 or 16 for stereo and 5.1 shows - so ~4.5 to 18Mbs for audio)

Rule of thumb = 1GB/minute (i.e. 1GigaByte per minute - though it's a bit less for stereo)

So a BBC 30 minute show (~29 minutes) with a standard 2 minute line-up and clock will be around 30GB, and an hour long show will be around 60GB, in HD. This may increase if there are textless elements (often another few minutes on the end) tacked on to the end of the delivered programme.

(SD shows - not that they really exist these days - are 50Mbs for video - using IMX50 I-frame only MPEG2 - with the same bitrates for 24 bit audio - though some 16 bit audio - which will require 2/3 the bitrate - may also be in use)

Also MarkyMark you are making an assumption that you can start playout whilst still recording - whilst that's a standard feature in broadcast video servers like EVS - it may not be for integrated 'channel in a box' systems like Morpheus ICE used by Red Bee... (Red Bee use IP 'channel in a box' for both ITV and BBC playout these days - with no separate playout servers, vision and sound mixers, graphics boxes etc. The 'box' does everything internally in the IP domain - playout, DVE, graphics generation, audio mixing and handles the playout automation stuff too)

**EDIT - I believe delayed playout of a recording is a feature of Morpheus ICE, as it can be used for time shift **

Traditionally Red Bee have required 3x the duration of the show to turn around a line recording as a file for delivery to BBC One or Two playout (So for a 30 minute show you were required to start playout to Red Bee 2 hours before transmission). If you missed that slot you had to be prepared to playout live to network down-the-line. This may have been relaxed since I last checked - but that was the rule of thumb programmes usually worked to in deciding whether they could line-feed to lines-record, or had to line-feed live to NC1 or NC2.

What format is this that requires a 30 min programme to be 60gb by the time the viewers receive it it’s no more then 5mbps HD the file size is probably no more then a gig, I am guessing it’s not a transcoded avc hd file?
MA
Markymark
Standard UK broadcast bitrate and codec for HD show delivery - as per DPP AS11 - is 100Mbs AVCi100. Add on to that the 1.15Mbs per track bitrate requirement for 48k/24bit PCM uncompressed audio tracks (usually 4 or 16 for stereo and 5.1 shows - so ~4.5 to 18Mbs for audio)

Rule of thumb = 1GB/minute (i.e. 1GigaByte per minute - though it's a bit less for stereo)

So a BBC 30 minute show (~29 minutes) with a standard 2 minute line-up and clock will be around 30GB, and an hour long show will be around 60GB, in HD. This may increase if there are textless elements (often another few minutes on the end) tacked on to the end of the delivered programme.

(SD shows - not that they really exist these days - are 50Mbs for video - using IMX50 I-frame only MPEG2 - with the same bitrates for 24 bit audio - though some 16 bit audio - which will require 2/3 the bitrate - may also be in use)

Also MarkyMark you are making an assumption that you can start playout whilst still recording - whilst that's a standard feature in broadcast video servers like EVS - it may not be for integrated 'channel in a box' systems like Morpheus ICE used by Red Bee... (Red Bee use IP 'channel in a box' for both ITV and BBC playout these days - with no separate playout servers, vision and sound mixers, graphics boxes etc. The 'box' does everything internally in the IP domain - playout, DVE, graphics generation, audio mixing and handles the playout automation stuff too)

**EDIT - I believe delayed playout of a recording is a feature of Morpheus ICE, as it can be used for time shift **

Traditionally Red Bee have required 3x the duration of the show to turn around a line recording as a file for delivery to BBC One or Two playout (So for a 30 minute show you were required to start playout to Red Bee 2 hours before transmission). If you missed that slot you had to be prepared to playout live to network down-the-line. This may have been relaxed since I last checked - but that was the rule of thumb programmes usually worked to in deciding whether they could line-feed to lines-record, or had to line-feed live to NC1 or NC2.

What format is this that requires a 30 min programme to be 60gb by the time the viewers receive it it’s no more then 5mbps HD the file size is probably no more then a gig, I am guessing it’s not a transcoded avc hd file?

That's emisson level encoding for you.😉

There's no transcoding involved, at least no for linear channels. It's just the HD- SDI station output, 1.485 Gb/s stuffed through an encoder to get a 5 to 15ish Mb/s stream for DVB platforms
TE
Technologist
As @noggin states AS11 DPP the same format as all uk broadcasters
See https://www.bbc.co.uk/delivery/technical-requirements
For Links to the spec and all the other information ....
TI
TIGHazard

Of course not. And it's not just television that does this, cinemas (back when they were open) get the movies delivered on hard drives where a 90 minute film is 700GB. Uncompressed JPEG 2000 images for every single frame, a time code and the uncompressed audio.
JA
james-2001
Doesn't exactly hurt to have the programmes played out in a much higher quality than we're ever going to see them, does it?

Newer posts