TV Home Forum

BBC One Breakdown

Major Technical fault before Panorama - Video on page 11 (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
Probably unrelated to the Breakdown, but why did NE & Cumbria opt out to show Angels of the North when Network is showing a double bill of it now after the news. And it’s even the two episodes before the episode that NE&C shown earlier which seems a bit backwards.
JT
jolly turnip
What did Scotland do? Or were they with network?
WM
WMD
What did Scotland do? Or were they with network?

Stayed with network throughout the breakdown, so non-Scotland-branded apology slides and network CA. Unusual.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm confused by the Wales breakdown into WILTY. My only guess is that it didn't appear on the Clean Feed as expected and Al didn't have the dirty network feed routed to the desk?
NI
nigel
The breakdown slides are worse than in the 70’s and 80’s now.
No music and not even a menu of “Programs this evening on One”.

Bring back the Tom and Jerry standby tape!
DB
dbl
nigel posted:

Hmmm...maybe a little unfair, this was a few years ago.

Tonight's clearly was a massive fail and the priority was just to get things going again.
JA
JAS84
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/bbc-one-technical-difficulties-force-4707402
CB
ChipperBird
dbl posted:
nigel posted:

Hmmm...maybe a little unfair, this was a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHAn5NykYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcbpI0hu2-o

Tonight's clearly was a massive fail and the priority was just to get things going again.

The 2017 breakdown didn't play out like that for everyone - was this a regional one? As I remember it playing out without a slide or CA to hide the playlist constantly going back to that weird "Breaking News" sting that looks like an awkward mock (was it ever actually used outside of this Breakdown?)

I do remember that evening the usual BBC News graphics winked in and out and they eventually switched to pre-recorded stuff till they could hand to BBC World early.

But I'm assuming that generally the BBC would anticipate that any issue these days would normally be fixed quick enough that you don't really need the archive music on standby or would be awkward to put on if it's fixed in seconds. At least we always have archives of the old ones with that comfy Muzak eh?
IS
Inspector Sands

I'm assuming Wales had their own copy of Eastenders seeing as they were the last to start tonight's ep.

So Wales and N.I. both had a copy of Eastenders, so at 8:05pm both could have played it as planned. This would have given Wales thinking time till 8:30 to work out what to show at 8:30pm as they could not play Panorama directly themselves or opt into the N.I. feed showing it

You said yourself that you assume they had their own copy of EastEnders.... the fact the they didn't play it at the scheduled time would seem indicate they didn't otherwise they would... Occams Razor

Taking what Northern Ireland was doing, as has been explained, isn't as easy as you suggest. Technically it's not that difficult, but it needs to be arranged and set up.... and that's probably going to be low priority compared to what's going on in network BBC1

Finally you assume that Belfast knew right from the start of the incident exactly what they were going to do. Both them and Cardiff were almost certainly doing the same things and having the same thought processes in that 20 or so minutes they had between realising how long the breakdown was and the end of their local programmes.
Could well be that one got lucky and the other didn't

As had been said, it's all very easy suggesting what should have happened hours after the event from your bedroom
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's all well and good having a slide prepared for if an incoming live show fails to make it on air. If the breakdown is due to the pres suite itself having problems there isn't much you can do.

That was one of the benefits of the old suites at TV Centre that the announcer could do a lot more during a breakdown, but that did mean employing announcers who were capable of that technically.

That said I think the music is still controlled by the announcer, so there is no technical reason not to have gone to that earlier.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
It does always seem to be Delroy who cops for the breakdowns that turn into a farce. He was announcing when BBC Two lost Springwatch and then the Coast standby had to be pulled off air because of a sound problem.

I can’t find any clips to confirm as they’ve all long since been deleted, but I think it was Delroy on announcing duty during the Euro 2008 breakdown caused by a thunderstorm over the IBC in Vienna when they opted to relay 5 Live comms over the breakdown slide.
MA
Markymark
WMD posted:
None of the Nations has a feed from other nations. The timings tonight are totally screwed up and until Panorama ended, nobody knew by how much. Playout needs stuff programmed into it along with timings. Believe me, this was a major incident and nobody has time to go and look for the Northern Ireland playout director's number and try to get lines booked after office staff have gone home!!? 😀

Though we have seen fairly recently an evening where Cardiff took Belfast output (including NI branding) until the NI pres director was able to set up a Wales-branded service from Belfast - even including a ‘nos da’ in an Irish accent!

Yes. Presumably the re routing of Belfast to the Wales Tx chain was performed at the CCM centres?

Isn't there a contractual compliction anyway because network playout is farmed out to Erricson, but the nations are 'in house'?

And do we know (without breaking any NDAs of course😉) whether any DR measures were applied last night?

Newer posts