TV Home Forum

BBC One Breakdown

Major Technical fault before Panorama - Video on page 11 (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
NC now on the generic filler with Network coming into the junction shortly.
OV
Orry Verducci
WMD posted:
Though we have seen fairly recently an evening where Cardiff took Belfast output (including NI branding) until the NI pres director was able to set up a Wales-branded service from Belfast - even including a ‘nos da’ in an Irish accent!

It was Coding and Mux (in England) who switched NI on to Wales output. Wales themselves didn't have the feed from NI available to them. In fact Wales didn't have any anything at all as they had no power, hence NI's appearance.

The procedures C&M follow only allow them to do this in an emergency situation when black or bars would go out otherwise. If a nation has control of playout and is providing output, even if it is the fault slide, then C&M aren't allowed to switch it out.

Therefore it couldn't have been done tonight as the nations were in full control of their output.
CH
channel4squares1
Normal generic announcement in East Midlands although a split second was shown with the subtitles symbol.
UK
UKnews

All of this mess on Wales could have been avoided if they did as I've suggested and joined forces with N.I. between 8:05pm - 9:00pm to keep the show on the road in 2 out of the 4 Nations.

I’ve not worked in playout, but do have career long experience on live radio and TV news coverage in studios and on location.

What you ‘could have’ done is very different to what you ‘can do’ in any given situation, especially when your sole focus is to try to rectify a situation and / or keep things going.

Procedures and plans are useful to know or have close at hand, but in the end those involved have to make the best decisions they can under pressure.

Unless you know the exact circumstances, nature of the fault / problem or were there are the time, you have no basis for coming up with a fantasy schedule of what “could have” been done.

Especially when writing a forum post after the event whilst sitting at home.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
How is it now only 6 minutes down? Have I missed something where time was re-gained?

Also am expecting a "Tonight at 10:06" from Huw tonight Wink

Normal "tonight at ten" from Hew
DV
dvboy
How late is everything now then? i have no idea why but i was expecting BBC World News to appear lol

About five minutes.
AndrewPSSP, Rexogamer and harshy gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
Nice designed VT clock though.

Classier than the one that appeared on ITV Meridian during their technical problems this evening?

(Not my Twitter account, by the way)

AN
Andrew Founding member
The fact EE started 10mins late but the Ten only started 5 mins late shows how many trailers they must show these days, and they didn’t drop them all, lots were still shown, and a PIF as well.
TC
TonyCurrie
Replying to earlier post re- switching to another nation's output. If playout is impossible from a nation, coding and mux can switch it to another nation but it takes time and spare personnel to then play out the 'lost' region's idents.
OV
Orry Verducci
I’ve not worked in playout, but do have career long experience on live radio and TV news coverage in studios and on location.

What you ‘could have’ done is very different to what you ‘can do’ in any given situation, especially when your sole focus is to try to rectify a situation and / or keep things going.

Procedures and plans are useful to know or have close at hand, but in the end those involved have to make the best decisions they can under pressure.

As someone who has worked in playout, I completely second this. You just do what you can in the situation with what quickly comes to mind when you're under pressure. Quite often it involves all the planned procedures going out the window.

It's only after you've got everything back up and running and have time to think about it you realise/remember the 20 different ways you could have dealt with it better or avoid the situation, and kick yourself for not thinking about it at the time.

You just have to write it off as a bad day in the office, learn from the experience, and carry on.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It does always seem to be Delroy who cops for the breakdowns that turn into a farce. He was announcing when BBC Two lost Springwatch and then the Coast standby had to be pulled off air because of a sound problem.
TI
This Is Granada

All of this mess on Wales could have been avoided if they did as I've suggested and joined forces with N.I. between 8:05pm - 9:00pm to keep the show on the road in 2 out of the 4 Nations.

Unless you know the exact circumstances, nature of the fault / problem or were there are the time, you have no basis for coming up with a fantasy schedule of what “could have” been done.

Especially when writing a forum post after the event whilst sitting at home.

Its not a 'fantasy schedule', its what N.I. did which Wales might have/could have done to 'Keep calm and carry on".

Wales created a rod for their own back by playing the filler which then messed up joining Network for Eastenders.

I'm assuming Wales had their own copy of Eastenders seeing as they were the last to start tonight's ep.

So Wales and N.I. both had a copy of Eastenders, so at 8:05pm both could have played it as planned. This would have given Wales thinking time till 8:30 to work out what to show at 8:30pm as they could not play Panorama directly themselves or opt into the N.I. feed showing it.

Showing the filler in Wales sent everything to cock here and like I said created a rod for their own back (Eastenders starting later than Network and the messy crash in after it)

Newer posts