TV Home Forum

New Sky channels: Crime, Comedy, Documentaries, Nature

Sky Documentaries, History and Nature now launched (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JL
J. Lyric
Hey Lyric, some new logos have dropped on the Sky logo site.
Somehow they made a new one for Sky+ which is a surprise to know they still have Sky+ around in 2020.

These have been on there for months - not really new.

The Talk and Soundbox logos were there for months - the Plus and Q logos are new.
RD
rdd Founding member
I’ve seen the new Sky Q logo on billboards. A bit surprised at the Sky+, it hasn’t been promoted in that format for a good many years (even before Sky Q, it was really “Sky+HD“). I’ve still never seen a Sky Q box in a commercial premises (not that I get to visit many these coronavirus times!) and I gather that Sky+HD is or was still the preferred format for commercial installs due to Sky Q needing a broadband connection.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
rdd posted:
I’ve seen the new Sky Q logo on billboards. A bit surprised at the Sky+, it hasn’t been promoted in that format for a good many years (even before Sky Q, it was really “Sky+HD“). I’ve still never seen a Sky Q box in a commercial premises (not that I get to visit many these coronavirus times!) and I gather that Sky+HD is or was still the preferred format for commercial installs due to Sky Q needing a broadband connection.

Sky Q does not need a broadband connection. Still dish based. For the on-demand stuff broadband yes. For watching linear, no.

It needs a new LNB on the dish, and presumably replacement distribution hardware/boxes on the wall for communal systems since it has six tuners.
MA
Markymark
rdd posted:

Sky Q does not need a broadband connection. Still dish based. For the on-demand stuff broadband yes. For watching linear, no.

Yes, I think possibly the only use of the broadband connection as far as satellite viewing is concerned, is the initial pairing of the viewing card ? In the good old days 20 years ago, the internal modem would spark up and 'call home', but in both cases the card could be activated without any return path, by ringing Sky and getting them to send the authentication packet over the satellite (which happened anyway for every subscriber on a data carousel , (if you left the box switched completely off for over a month, the card would lose its authentication rights because it had missed the periodic refresh)
JL
J. Lyric
Sky VR has become "Sky Worlds"
----
----
WH
what
Sky VR has become "Sky Worlds"
----
----

Yikes. That’s almost as terrible as “BBC Sounds”.
JF
JetixFann450
Sounds like an MMO video game where you travel across different Sky areas just to uncover the lost golden remote or something.
JL
J. Lyric
It's part of a new thing called "Sky Immversive"
----
https://www.sky.com/pages/sky-immersive

9 days later

PF
PFML84
Sky Cinema Disney is being renamed to Sky Cinema Five Star Movies but will retain some Disney movies in the beginning until their contracts expire. What an awful name for the channel.
KE
kernow
Sky Cinema Disney is being renamed to Sky Cinema Five Star Movies but will retain some Disney movies in the beginning until their contracts expire. What an awful name for the channel.

I wonder if Channel 5 will have anything to say about that name? They might not be very happy about it!
LL
Larry the Loafer
I hope so. Anything to stop that terrible name making it to air.
RD
Roger Darthwell

It's a pity that Sky has decided not to renew it's contract with Disney to be honest.....

Newer posts