TV Home Forum

Blackadder

Scheduled Saturday night on BBC One (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
The policy appears to be, show one series and plug the rest being on iPlayer. It’s not just comedy, they did it with showing he first Line of Duty as well

Yeah that’s what I meant by a one and done airing. They did that with My Family as well.
TV
iloveTV1
Jonwo posted:
The policy appears to be, show one series and plug the rest being on iPlayer. It’s not just comedy, they did it with showing he first Line of Duty as well

Yeah that’s what I meant by a one and done airing. They did that with My Family as well.

Ah ok my apologies. Although, I expect at least one my family Christmas special to air this year.
JO
Jonwo

Ah ok my apologies. Although, I expect at least one my family Christmas special to air this year.

I don't think the BBC are that desperate that My Family will air over Christmas.
TV
iloveTV1
Jonwo posted:

I don't think the BBC are that desperate that My Family will air over Christmas.

My Family - Christmas Special 2003; Sixty Feet Under - Tuesday 8th December - 8.30pm - BBC One
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:

My Family - Christmas Special 2003; Sixty Feet Under - Tuesday 8th December - 8.30pm - BBC One

If I was being picky, that's not over Christmas.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:
Jonwo posted:

If I was being picky, that's not over Christmas.

Probably a bit late for the people who've already put their trees up.
SP
Spencer
Jonwo posted:
In a way, what happened with Blackadder II is very similar to what happened to Star Trek II as the first in the series were expensive projects that did okay business and nearly didn't get a renewal/greenlight and in both cases, making things cheaper and pared back means they were able to make the overall product a lot better plus the original creator/writer dropped out of the creative aspect and new writers brought in.

If anyone's interested in the history of Blackadder, I'd thoroughly recommend listening to What's Funny About... Blackadder from BBC Radio 4 Extra. They talk a lot about the problems with the first series, and how it narrowly managed to be recommissioned, albeit on a much tighter budget.

The rest of the series is really good too – especially the episodes on W1A and The Thick of It.
BE
benriggers
Would be good to find out ratings-wise how it's doing against the other 4 terrestrial channels. I think when it was last shown on BBC1 in 2002, it got 4-5 million viewers. Though in this day and age not expecting the viewing figures to be big.
Last edited by benriggers on 23 November 2020 5:12pm
CA
Cando
The episode on the 14th got 2.5m iirc
BH
BillyH Founding member
There was a fairly high-profile repeat of all four series on BBC2 in 1998-1999, which was especially notable as it included the rarely seen first series - many years later my brother was surprised to find out they were from the 1980s as he assumed it was a new series at the time, particularly as Back & Forth arrived the following year.

That was a fantastic time for the 9-10 year old me to discover some classic comedy, they also repeated The Young Ones and Bottom during that time along with a limited run of Python airings to commemorate the 30th anniversary. It was also around the time of the 8th series of Red Dwarf, which even though is commonly called the worst series it was good to get some new episodes during that time.
SW
Steve Williams
There was a fairly high-profile repeat of all four series on BBC2 in 1998-1999, which was especially notable as it included the rarely seen first series - many years later my brother was surprised to find out they were from the 1980s as he assumed it was a new series at the time, particularly as Back & Forth arrived the following year.

That was a fantastic time for the 9-10 year old me to discover some classic comedy, they also repeated The Young Ones and Bottom during that time along with a limited run of Python airings to commemorate the 30th anniversary. It was also around the time of the 8th series of Red Dwarf, which even though is commonly called the worst series it was good to get some new episodes during that time.

Yes, they did repeat the entire Blackadder series during 1998, starting with Christmas Carol getting its first repeat for a decade (so it was the first time I'd seen it) and then, as you say, the first repeat of series one for many years. Again, this was the first time I'd seen it, having already seen the other three, so I couldn't get into it at all and abandoned it after after two episodes. What was particularly interesting about that run is that, as it was 35 minutes long, all the programmes for the rest of the evening started at five and 35 minutes past the hour - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1998-01-16#at-21.00
A friend of mine on Twitter suggested that was the only time the news has ever been delayed due to an overrunning comedy show, rather than the other way round.

There was another repeat run of all the Blackadder series in the summer of 1990, on Sunday nights on BBC1. Series 1-3 were all shown pre-watershed and, given it was shown during the World Cup, some episodes of Blackadder II, including Beer, went out at 7.15 which seems demented. The repeat of Series 1 was to coincide with it being released on video for the first time, and I have a Radio Times where someone complains that they'd just bought it and they could have just taped it off the telly.

The Python repeats you mention in 1999 were particularly interesting because it involved the Pythons picking their favourite episodes, and Terry Gilliam picked the last ever episode, which I believe hadn't been repeated on the Beeb since 1975 and was certainly the first time I'd seen anything from the final series. Terry Jones picked the Cycling Tour from series 3 which was also quite exciting to me as the previous Python repeat run in 1994-95, the first time I'd seen it, gave up in the middle of series 2 (as had the previous repeat run in 1989-91).

The Young Ones repeats in 1998 were a bit notorious because they were new edits of the show, cut down from 35 to 30 minutes. Despite being personally supervised by Paul Jackson I know a lot of fans were unhappy about them as they lose quite a few of the most famous and popular sequences from them.

1993 was a notorious summer for the Beeb because there'd been an accounting cock-up which meant they had to lose a big chunk out of the programme budget, and so there were loads of repeats that summer, even more than usual in summer in those days, and they got loads of complaints, but I thought it was a great summer because, at the age of fourteen and just getting really interested in alternative comedy, they repeated loads of it. I remember that summer it got to the stage where there were alternative comedy repeats every night across BBC1 and BBC2 - I remember it was KYTV, French and Saunders, Canned Carrott, A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Alas Smith and Jones, in that order. The Smith and Jones ones were particularly interesting as they went right back to series 1 in 1984, and like French and Saunders and Fry and Laurie, it was the first time I'd seen those.
DE88, UKnews and BillyH gave kudos
RD
rdd Founding member
I would have thought the 7th series of Red Dwarf, in which Chris Barrie left the series for four episodes, was widely regarded as the worst. (Or Back to Earth maybe).

One particularly Blackadder repeat I vividly remember was on the night of the 1997 UK general election, in which they aired the election themed “Dish and Dishonesty” from Blackadder the Third. Guest star the late Vincent Hanna.

Newer posts