TV Home Forum

Strictly Come Dancing | 2020

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
I just don’t understand the way they’ve gone about this series. Surely it only takes a couple more positive tests for the series to be in jeopardy or at least having to be cut short by a few weeks.

Surely putting everyone in one big bubble was the only sensible option. Sure they may have had to have missed out on some of their first choices and it might have cost a bit more but surely the show is big enough to overcome those two factors.
BR
Brekkie
If everyone is in one bubble though and it somehow did get in that is the whole cast gone though, not just the individuals or partnerships concerned.

Motsi is isolating due to having to return to Germany for an unrelated matter it appears, although I'd have thought as she travels from Germany to here for work she'd have an exemption and she certainly appeared on This Morning a couple of weeks back from her home in Germany then in the studio live on Saturday.

We also don't know if the person Rylan came into close contact with was Katya, and it isn't for us to speculate. If anything it probably shows the protocols are working - they've always been more about it not spreading amongst the cast rather than completely protecting the cast from something they probably can't.

Also now makes sense why they announced 5 in the final - they've likely factored in losing one or two or even three along the way.
Last edited by Brekkie on 12 November 2020 11:45pm - 3 times in total
JA
JAS84
Rylan said it was away from work, so it shouldn't be because of anyone connected to SCD.
DE88, iloveTV1 and Brekkie gave kudos
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Johnr posted:
Well for anyone wanting to see Anton as a judge...here’s your chance!

I'd agree that with Anton being out of the competition it would be an opportunity to having him guest judging for a week or two. Whilst Motsi will be appearing virtually I don't know how she'd be able to properly judge the dances, particularly as it's quite common to see the judges leaning over their desks to look at the dancers feet whilst they're performing.
NG
noggin Founding member
Jon posted:
I just don’t understand the way they’ve gone about this series. Surely it only takes a couple more positive tests for the series to be in jeopardy or at least having to be cut short by a few weeks.

Surely putting everyone in one big bubble was the only sensible option. Sure they may have had to have missed out on some of their first choices and it might have cost a bit more but surely the show is big enough to overcome those two factors.

That would mean contestants had to stop their day jobs - which I suspect wasn't a commitment that people could make.

It would also have meant all crew had to be paid for days they weren't working too, as they wouldn't have been able to do other jobs.

Creating a whole-show bubble is possible with a recorded series like Bake Off, but is next to impossible for a series like Strictly which is weekly.

AIUI the Strictly approach is strict social distancing in studio and ancillary areas, and either the celebrity or the professional living alone for the duration of the series so that they can be part of a support household with their partner's household.

That coupled with frequent testing is the approach being used.

I don't know if Nicola or Katya was the single household in this scenario.

It also goes to show that however careful you may be - it's still possible to catch Covid - and it's still possible to have it without knowing you have got it...
Last edited by noggin on 13 November 2020 12:09pm
DV
DVB Cornwall
And it came to pass ...

Anton du BEAK.

MA
Markymark
Johnr posted:
Well for anyone wanting to see Anton as a judge...here’s your chance!

I'd agree that with Anton being out of the competition it would be an opportunity to having him guest judging for a week or two. Whilst Motsi will be appearing virtually I don't know how she'd be able to properly judge the dances, particularly as it's quite common to see the judges leaning over their desks to look at the dancers feet whilst they're performing.

One of the criticisms levelled at the show by dancing enthusiasts, is that not enough of the contestants' feet are shown ( on TV).
Of course SCD is as much about dancing, as Top Gear is about motoring ! Wink
JO
Josh
What an eventful week...

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I think Anton worked well as a guest judge last night. I'm guessing the interview with Motsi was in part time filling due to Nicola & Katya having to drop out.

One technical change I noticed this year was the camera track along the length of the dance floor where the dancer's now sit. Overall the AR has been an interesting addition, though the house didn't entirely work last night possibly due to the camera moving and/or zooming.

It was slightly amusing when Bill pretended to faint and fell forward, causing a slight 2 metre rule panic. I've no idea what Max said that caused the apology from Claudia.
AN
all new Phil
I've no idea what Max said that caused the apology from Claudia.

“F’ing get in” as they finished their routine at the point their mic was turned on.
BR
Brekkie
"****' get in" at the end of his performance.

I think your pre-conceptions of Anton determine if you enjoyed him. For me he was as bad as I feared he would be and a throwback to the dark days of Strictly when it took itself far too seriously, highlighting why he is usually overlooked when a judges role becomes available. That said though working alongside Motsi rather than instead of her might balance that out much more and make it far less of an issue.

The AR is interesting to say the least and varies from pretty decent to pretty bad. They're clearly having a bit of fun with it though. One thing I don't like though is the video messages in the Clauditorium - they just ruin the flow and aren't something that should be on live TV.
JK
JKDerry
Asa posted:
You do not need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out and deduce that Katya was not keeping within the strict health measures.

This isn't the first time you've stigmatised someone that has had the misfortune to get Covid. Unless you've had some inner knowledge of her whereabouts I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

I have really tried my best on this forum, but it seems the moment I utter a comment, I am slammed by everyone. This is a forum to express opinion, and sadly it seems it is becoming more restricted on what you can say as your opinion. An opinion might be wrong, and I am just expressing it from my own point of view. If we can't do that, then I am saddened.

Newer posts