TV Home Forum

Christmas TV 2020

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
And any "average viewers" who might care enough to attribute names to them would make similarly straightforward, logical choices, such as "Rings", "Slinky", "Furry Thing", and "Paint".
One of the 1991 idents was called Paint.
GL
Gluben
Asa posted:
Agreed, except for BBC2. As well as showing all previous years' idents, they usually add a new one to the mix.

There's only been two years of the current idents though, so not much of a precedent. Hope I'm wrong - if they're determined to run it for a month again, they need another news-safe ident otherwise it's just Glamourous over and over. (Not that I'm complaining much, all their Christmas idents are stunning)

I only say that because they started doing it with the Personality 2s in 2001, 2002 and 2003. In 2004, they just re-used the previous three and didn’t add a new one. Then 2005 was a single new ident as before, then 2006 just re-used that one. It was worse in 2007 when they did just recycle the same ident each year (and the 2011 one later). Even worse when they dubbed it with Christmas “carols”.

But yes, the Curve idents are so brilliant that I actually don’t mind re-using them and adding a new one, so long as they’re consistent and don’t just decide not to add a new ident one year.
AR
Argybargy
I personally don't expect to see a new Christmas ident on BBC Two this year. There are already 4 festive versions of the Curve idents, one of which (the tinsel ident) only made its debut last year. If they did decide to add a new one, that'd be five in total- and I can't recall there being a time when they've ever shown 5 different idents over one Christmas season.
Last edited by Argybargy on 13 November 2020 1:38pm
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Old and new episodes of the Vicar of Dibley to be shown this Christmas on BBC One.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6058/vicar-of-dibley-in-lockdown
JA
james-2001
Looks like they're basically just zoom monologues then?

I guess proper episodes wouldn't be the same now half the cast are no longer with us.
DE88, DJ Dave and Meridian AM gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
Although there is one of the secondary characters that will be appearing.
You'd suspect, to say the line at the start "you are on mute".. Rolling Eyes
JO
Jonwo
I imagine they'll be paired with the repeats they're going to be showing from next week then aired as a compilation.
BH
BillyH Founding member
For a show so recent it's a bit astonishing that there's only four main cast members still alive, one of which has advanced dementia and is confined to a nursing home. It's similar to about three quarters of the Dad's Army cast passing away in the five or six years after the last episode aired.
JA
james-2001
Or indeed the fact most of the cast of Last Of The Summer Wine, even from the final series 10 years ago, are no longer with us.

That's what happens when you have a cast with a lot of older actors in though... but then Roger Lloyd-Pack and Emma Chambers weren't that old.
BR
Brekkie
It is a quarter of a century old with a largely elderly cast, so not that surprising really.
JO
Jonwo
I was surprised to find out that James Fleet is only 9 year younger than Gary Waldhorn,
JK
JKDerry
The Vicar of Dibley was a real warm hearted sitcom for me. Loved it a lot, especially the specials in Christmas 1999 leading over the millennium.
Si-Co and Meridian AM gave kudos

Newer posts