The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JF World News
NYTV posted:
I do seem to have a lot of curiosity for this one here. How come has OS still been able to air throughout even with the simplified schedule with fewer 'unique' branded shows with many of them currently not airing (i.e The Briefing, Worklife, Global, Impact, etc.) on-air yet OS is an exception?

I could be wrong in saying but I think Outside Source is shown on PBS in the USA. WETA which is one of the PBS affiliates has it in their schedule.

Yes, some of the PBS member stations do clear OS. WETA is the distributor of BBC World/News programming across the member stations.

A few weeks ago I heard during clock changes "Welcome to viewers in the UK, on PBS in America and around the world". But some stations also took World News Today Friday to Sunday as well which is off air. Also branded programmes are not on air in the UK expect Nine/One/Five/Six/Ten, regional sunday programmes, Marr and OS
Last edited by JF World News on 12 November 2020 6:22pm - 4 times in total
MI
TheMike
I do seem to have a lot of curiosity for this one here. How come has OS still been able to air throughout even with the simplified schedule with fewer 'unique' branded shows with many of them currently not airing (i.e The Briefing, Worklife, Global, Impact, etc.) yet OS is an exception?

Outside Source, Focus on Africa and World News America are all sold to other broadcasters, therefore they remained on air.

BBC World News is a commercial operation and with the channel also suffering from less ad sales alongside other international broadcasters, it simply can't afford not to keep these programmes going.
AR
Archie
I do seem to have a lot of curiosity for this one here. How come has OS still been able to air throughout even with the simplified schedule with fewer 'unique' branded shows with many of them currently not airing (i.e The Briefing, Worklife, Global, Impact, etc.) yet OS is an exception?

Outside Source, Focus on Africa and World News America are all sold to other broadcasters, therefore they remained on air.

BBC World News is a commercial operation and with the channel also suffering from less ad sales alongside other international broadcasters, it simply can't afford not to keep these programmes going.

Alright then, I guess. Thanks for your input on this.
RB
RedButton

I understand but does it really cost to add the branding of World Buisnees Report instead of airing a generic BBC World News? I mean, the content is the same. They only have to change the templates that surely are pre-automoted from before. They don´t even have to use studio B.
IT
Ittr
Has anyone else noticed that the robotic cameras haven't been operating as they usually do, in both Studio C and E, today, or is this an intentional change?
AR
Archie
Ittr posted:
Has anyone else noticed that the robotic cameras haven't been operating as they usually do, in both Studio C and E, today, or is this an intentional change?

No, as far as I'm aware I haven't seen anything that's changed within the robotic cams that make the way they operate different to how they normally would, unless if I might have missed something and that happened earlier during today in the past hours. I watched the 8pm NC bulletin and it all seems to be operating fine. If so, then what precise issue was going on with the camera systems?
UN
Universal_r
Can’t say I’ve noticed anything either, I’ve only watched outside source and the 8pm bulletin though.
Edit: found this shot on the 6 which is a bit odd(apologies about the quality)
It was also used on the 10.
Last edited by Universal_r on 12 November 2020 10:38pm - 2 times in total
Alfie Mulcahy and Hadrien gave kudos
MI
m_in_m
That just looks like a potentially new shot or one that isn't used very frequently. Was this manually operated - it seems perfectly timed or can they enter who long a transition should take?
AR
Archie
Seems like that Outside Source had slightly adjusted their static shot for a brief moment in the last few minutes before they were going to finish off for the hour.

RK
Rkolsen
I know I mentioned lack of weather on North American feed (possibly just my cable company). I rewound the past few days of when it’s daytime in the UK and only ever see a global weather forecast at the end of the hour. I assume either BBC GN, it’s distributor (AMC) or Comcast has been selling ad space.
UN
Universal_r
Seems like that Outside Source had slightly adjusted their static shot for a brief moment in the last few minutes before they were going to finish off for the hour.

Is this the first time the shot has been changed from the usual shot in studio C? Why do they not use the screens on the catwalk to make it closer to normal?
DH
DH33
Can’t say I’ve noticed anything either, I’ve only watched outside source and the 8pm bulletin though.
Edit: found this shot on the 6 which is a bit odd(apologies about the quality)
It was also used on the 10.

Same report on the 10 had the same shot

Newer posts