The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
They’ve all been good, didn’t realise Yalda Hakim had so much knowledge on the United States.
DE
deejay
Couldnt they just keep that static shot and Ros at the screen so no need for the staff with the handhelds?

They could but the handheld camera stuff is part of the style of the programme and as I say, it requires a separate gallery to the one used for standard news bulletins. (And OS needs careful rehearsal for Ros to know how all the graphics elements for the touchscreen have been built, so it isn’t the kind of show that can just go to air directly from a gallery that’s been in use all day for other stuff.) This requires an extra gallery team, and that’s not currently possible within the limits of staffing allowed in the building. If there are no guests and no camera ops then it wouldn’t need a floor manager, but one is required for safety when there are so many people working in that space normally.
lxflyer, Steve in Pudsey and harshy gave kudos
UN
Universal_r
I have actually been pretty impressed with the BBC’s coverage over the last few days. Yes it’s a bit slower than other networks and the delivery of the result today was awful, but hats off to katty Kay(and all the team)who have done some amazing work this week, she seems to be on every time I switch on the tv!. I really like that they’ve gone double headed for the majority of the evenings over the last week, I think it’s worked really well. It’s also been nice to see a lot more of the Washington bureau it’s a great looking studio!

Also, studio E being used for the overnight simulcast.
CM
cmthwtv
I have actually been pretty impressed with the BBC’s coverage over the last few days. Yes it’s a bit slower than other networks and the delivery of the result today was awful, but hats off to katty Kay(and all the team)who have done some amazing work this week, she seems to be on every time I switch on the tv!. I really like that they’ve gone double headed for the majority of the evenings over the last week, I think it’s worked really well. It’s also been nice to see a lot more of the Washington bureau it’s a great looking studio!

Also, studio E being used for the overnight simulcast.

I agree as well. I am not normally hooked to the BBC when it comes to developing story as they always like to renew the same information every 15 minutes or so rather than flow more like a rolling news channel - interviewing and analysis etc but these last few days have been hooking.
HA
harshy Founding member
Couldnt they just keep that static shot and Ros at the screen so no need for the staff with the handhelds?

They could but the handheld camera stuff is part of the style of the programme and as I say, it requires a separate gallery to the one used for standard news bulletins. (And OS needs careful rehearsal for Ros to know how all the graphics elements for the touchscreen have been built, so it isn’t the kind of show that can just go to air directly from a gallery that’s been in use all day for other stuff.) This requires an extra gallery team, and that’s not currently possible within the limits of staffing allowed in the building. If there are no guests and no camera ops then it wouldn’t need a floor manager, but one is required for safety when there are so many people working in that space normally.

Is it possible to at least modify the template in studio e so at least it gets the scenic shot at the beginning and end like a standard bbc world news bulletin ?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Is there a reason for doing OS from the desk rather than standing either at the catwalk or one of the screens next to the desk? Not to use it in an interactive way, just so it looks more like the standard look of the programme?
UN
Universal_r
So BBC news seems to have gone back in time😂 this just played out on the news channel.
JF
JF World News
Does Katty & Christan get temporarily rebranded as '100 Days' on 20 January and we start the cycle again
JO
Josh
"Temporarily", he said.
RD
Roger Darthwell
So BBC news seems to have gone back in time😂 this just played out on the news channel.

This is when BBC News branding was at it's best! I hope they go back to it ASAP!
AR
Archie

Gill Sans has arisen from the dead! Wink
RN
Rolling News
Video doesn’t seem to work, what happened?

Newer posts