The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

The place to discuss everything US election related.

MQ
Mr Q World News
From Denmark, bits and pieces of TV2's coverage of the U.S. election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6e42fcRSQ0

And here's the same from DR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7HGKpft9w0

TV 2 chose to host their election coverage from an American-themed diner in central Copenhagen (in the Tivoli amusement park), with a pop-up green screen area for the virtual reality segments. The broadcast continued from there for something like 22 hours (with on-the-hour news updates from the news studio, as shown in the back half of that clip). By contrast, DR constructed a dedicated election set, with a touchscreen off to the side used for analysis of results.

I can also report that Sweden's SVT and TV4 presented election coverage from their usual news studios (though dressed up for the occasion).
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Jonwo posted:
And to think Rudy Giuliani was once Mayor of New York City.

I caught the sitch up Sacha Baron Cohen did on him on the latest Borat moviefilm!

Doubly unbelievable!

Jagshemash!
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Apologies if I missed it but I've seen alot of talk about how good the Sky News sequence was when it was called but don't think I've seen a video. Can only find a square-o-vision version on the Sky website. Who even has a square phone?
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
UT
UTVLifer Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Apologies if I missed it but I've seen alot of talk about how good the Sky News sequence was when it was called but don't think I've seen a video. Can only find a square-o-vision version on the Sky website. Who even has a square phone?

AndrewPSSP, paul_hadley and Brekkie gave kudos
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Jonwo posted:
And to think Rudy Giuliani was once Mayor of New York City.

More than that, he was called 'Americas Mayor' after 9/11

According to a story in the New York Times, the location was probably intentional to get away from interference by Democratic supporters in the city centre.

That's understandable, but the co-incidence of the name of the company sharing a name with a big hotel is either a mistake or someone on the campaign having a laugh

Unless it was a double bluff to get people to protest at the wrong location, Trump was telling people it was being held at the hotel.
BR

Cheers.

In terms of UK coverage Sky were the only ones who really made it feel like a special event, with using their top names really helping. ITV were good on the night and News at Ten has been excellent all week, and I think were the first terrestrial with a newsflash yesterday. Seems though the fall out from a few years back still affects using News at Ten talent on the Evening News and though the reporting was just as good a shame either julie or Tom didn't anchor part of the Evening News. Sending Mary out instead of Julie may have been more beneficial to the Evening News.

The BBC coverage is interesting as it has been notably lacking it's big names other than the swansong of Andrew Neil. Also wasn't a fan of the split screen transatlantic coverage for days on end, but in both cases we can blame the pandemic somewhat and arguably the BBC have been more responsible in not anchoring it all in the US. However in not using the bigger names it feels like the BBC have perhaps used more appropriate names in utilizing their US based presenters and the BBC World team. On the whole though the coverage has felt quite dry.

Beyond that I've only seen snippets of CNN. Have watched bit of Al Jazerra which was very good but fairly low key, and from what I've seen of RT it is shocking it is still on the air.
Last edited by Brekkie on 8 November 2020 12:23pm - 2 times in total
UT
UTVLifer Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Cheers.

In terms of UK coverage Sky were the only ones who really made it feel like a special event, with using their top names really helping. ITV were good on the night and News at Ten has been excellent all week, and I think were the first terrestrial with a newsflash yesterday. Seems though the fall out from a few years back still affects using News at Ten talent on the Evening News and though the reporting was just as good a shame either julie or Tom didn't anchor part of the Evening News. Sending Mary out instead of Julie may have been more beneficial to the Evening News.

The BBC coverage is interesting as it has been notably lacking it's big names other than the swansong of Andrew Neil. Also wasn't a fan of the split screen transatlantic coverage for days on end, but in both cases we can blame the pandemic somewhat and arguably the BBC have been more responsible in not anchoring it all in the US. However in not using the bigger names it feels like the BBC have perhaps used more appropriate names in utilizing their US based presenters and the BBC World team. On the whole though the coverage has felt quite dry.

Beyond that I've only seen snippets of CNN. Have watched bit of Al Jazerra which was very good but fairly low key, and from what I've seen of RT it is shocking it is still on the air.

What fallout effecting NAT talent on the evening news?

Deffo think that the BBC should have used Emily Maitlis who was in the states more instead of some of the lesser known World presenters
BR

Cheers.

What fallout?

They haven't shared the main presenters since Tom was parachuted in.
JA
Jarv Anglia (East) Look East
Cant speak about others as I was watching CNN the whole time, it was fantastic, must admit i'm suffering a Key Race Alert hangover this afternoon!
AM
AlfieMulcahy Meridian (South East) South East Today
Did anyone capture ITVs Newsflash
Hello, I'm using WhatsApp
BR
Rob did on page 60 but it has gone down now. Suspect Trump's lawyers are filing copyright claims on all the calling footage. Very Happy
WA
watchingtv Anglia (East) Look East
Did anyone capture ITVs Newsflash

Rob did on page 60 but it has gone down now. Suspect Trump's lawyers are filing copyright claims on all the calling footage. Very Happy

My contribution is small but you are welcome.

Newer posts