The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

The place to discuss everything US election related.

WW
WW Update

Leave it to the US networks to be celebratory or triumphalist.

It's not about being triumphalist; it's about being lively and interesting, and reflecting the historic nature of what just happened.

This isn't the equivalent of Obama being elected - a historic moment for sure. The historic part is Kamala Harris becoming Vice President - the speech she is making now is the bigger moment to my mind than the exact moment the BBC decides to call the election for yet another old white man.

The most historic part of all this is Donald Trump -- a right-wing populist whose words and actions steered the United States and the world in a completely new, unprecedented direction -- losing power after just one term and the profound consequences this change in leadership will have.
WW
WW Update
From Denmark, bits and pieces of TV2's coverage of the U.S. election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6e42fcRSQ0

And here's the same from DR:

BK
bkman1990 UTV Newsline
Coldplay's A Sky Full of Stars was used in Biden's Fireworks celebrations. I'd say they're already delighted with that song being used.

It was a great speech by Biden after watching it on CNN in the small hours of the morning. It was full of hope & full of promise that the U.S. will finally be coming back towards a new beginning & a new future. Well done to Biden. Well done to all who voted for him.
SC
scottishtv Founding member Central Reporting Scotland
Phew! Finally switching off the coverage after 5 days... thanks for the quality time together:

EDIT: Who am I kidding? Meet The Press and State of the Union are on in just a few hours...
RK
Rkolsen World News
Coldplay's A Sky Full of Stars was used in Biden's Fireworks celebrations. I'd say they're already delighted with that song being used.

It was a great speech by Biden after watching it on CNN in the small hours of the morning. It was full of hope & full of promise that the U.S. will finally be coming back towards a new beginning & a new future. Well done to Biden. Well done to all who voted for him.

Certainly felt like it was a new beginning I went to DC and it was so energetic.
mark posted:
Despite everyone knowing a call could come at any moment and the fact that the result had been obvious for quite a while, it seemed to take MSNBC by surprise...

I think there was trouble, they were anchoring from home and at one point their IFB’s went out.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
BK
bkman1990 UTV Newsline
Wow. Oh wow. That was some great reaction from Don Lemon on CNN about why he is happy to be an American since hearing about the election of Joe Biden & Kamala Harris tonight. It was a really wonderful & refreshing moment to watch it unfold on screen. Chris Coumo was also in agreement with him when he was with his daughter as soon as the results were announced in NYC. Well said guys.
Last edited by bkman1990 on 8 November 2020 4:22am
RO
rob Founding member Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
Jon posted:
That video also misses out the awkward long pause where they’re waiting for something to happen.

You can see that here...

TV Live - The home of TV presentation.
LE
Lester Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
rob posted:
Jon posted:
That video also misses out the awkward long pause where they’re waiting for something to happen.

You can see that here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXY3geOFlIY

Toe curling! I've watched a lot of the BBC coverage and that satellite delay in the Washington studio is a regular cause of awkward delay, talking over each other etc.

The announcement seems to have been made with less experienced news presenters here. The guy in London is especially bad, rabbit caught in the headlight etc.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I assumed the gap was an opt point? Did BBC One break into programmes for the announcement?
Write that down in your copybook now.
UT
UTVLifer Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
rob posted:
Jon posted:

You can see that here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXY3geOFlIY

Toe curling! I've watched a lot of the BBC coverage and that satellite delay in the Washington studio is a regular cause of awkward delay, talking over each other etc.

The announcement seems to have been made with less experienced news presenters here. The guy in London is especially bad, rabbit caught in the headlight etc.

To be honest it seemed that most of the UK teams were rabbits caught in headlights: the BBC were slow, clearly weren't expecting the result when it did come so had the 'B Team' on air and the delays between London and Washington were just awkward when trying to call the election meanwhile on Sky, Adam Boulton couldn't get his words out properly
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
I assumed the gap was an opt point? Did BBC One break into programmes for the announcement?

In short no, scroll back to the top of page 61
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
BA
bakamann London World News
CNN's Election coverage proper seems to be over now, because it looks like CNN International is now producing their overnight broadcast, but with CNN USA anchors.

I find it weird though that CNNI has to hook-up with CNN USA, just to broadcast their self-produced program.

Formerly theBlockerPH

Newer posts