The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

With added Impeachment 2.0 (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
I wish we had both CNN and CNN International on the EPG so we could choose between the two when the latter isn't simulcasting with the former.
AndrewPSSP, itsrobert and BBI45 gave kudos
IN
Interceptor
I agree with others, the BBC coverage has overall been quite sub-par, certainly once Andrew Neil had left there was little to tune in for. I've mostly been flicking between Sky and CNN for the last few days. I get why the BBC couldn't stay in election mode indefinitely but it was certainly to their detriment.

I happened to load up the CNN stream a few seconds before they called the race, then put Sky News on the telly - I think Sky probably outdid them.
WW
WW Update
The Beeb’s faux balance too had been on full display - other channels have been almost immediate in pointing out there’s no evidence for Trump’s claims but BBC will often read out what he’s made (as if it’s reasonable) and take ages to call a spade a spade.

Some have suggested that the BBC's political coverage, as a result of domestic political pressure, has drifted somewhat to the right -- or at least in a conservative direction -- in recent years. I wonder if those of you who watch the BBC every day share this impression?
BF
BFGArmy

Dare we say it one of the few times you might’ve wanted Aaron Heslehurst or Alice Baxter doing the news to liven it up a bit from the Beeb’s end.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
To be fair though, I found myself watching the BBC News at Ten last night and they really do excel at packaged reports pulling together all the loose ends and putting everything in perspective. I liked the US domestic coverage, but after hours of endless detail county-by-county, it was good to see the broader picture.

In addition, I've found Clive Myrie's longer-length reports from the States really insightful: (Part 1 and Part 2 on iPlayer).
Last edited by scottishtv on 7 November 2020 10:50pm
SC
I wonder if those of you who watch the BBC every day share this impression?

North America Editor Jon Sopel doesn't get sucked into the grandstanding of some covering the White House. I think his coverage has been fair to Trump, he has asked questions of the president in the past, and will quickly point out his lies during his reporting. I think he strikes a good balance of a Brit in Washington simply reporting what they see - which is presumably what the BBC wants.

It's certainly not the breathless shock and horror at every tweet you've seen a lot over the years, particularly from the US cable networks.
MA
Meridian AM

Dare we say it one of the few times you might’ve wanted Aaron Heslehurst or Alice Baxter doing the news to liven it up a bit from the Beeb’s end.

BBC One's sleeping cat ident is livelier than these two delivering this huge global news moment.
Last edited by Meridian AM on 7 November 2020 10:58pm
WW
WW Update
Perhaps the BBC's announcement was so subdued because of this tongue-in-cheek remark by Biden earlier today: Very Happy

AJB39 and London Lite gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
To be fair though, I found myself watching the BBC News at Ten last night and they really do excel at packaged reports pulling together all the loose ends and putting everything in perspective. I liked the US domestic coverage, but after hours of endless detail county-by-county, it was good to see the broader picture. In addition, I found Clive Myrie's reports from the States really insightful (Part 1 and Part 2 on iPlayer).

Too many packaged 'news bulletin' style reports and a lack of live rolling news.
SC
Too many packaged 'news bulletin' style reports and a lack of live rolling news.
I think you've made your feelings clear.
OM
Omnipresent
A powerful close to RTE's news bulletin today:

BK
bkman1990
A guy from Chicago celebrating Biden's win has just said "F*ck you Trump" on CNN.
London Lite and james-2001 gave kudos

Newer posts