TV Home Forum

Christmas Adverts 2020

(October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
I'm pretty sure it'll be ditched as soon as its new owners get their teeth into it.

What reasoning do you have to think that? Have they given any indication of how their marketing will change? Genuinely interested as I’m not sure what you’re basing it on.

New owners tend to want to make their mark in normal circumstances and this is a major change of hands as the new owners couldn't really be more different than the old ones.

That, coupled with the fact that the campaign has been very poorly received suggests it'll be gone soon enough.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Personally, I hate the new Asda adverts with that family and the annoying father talking to camera. I hope they do ditch them and change tactics for future ad campaigns. I have to mute that ad when it comes on TV.

This. But 10 times over.

If you pressed mute 10 times, it would be unmuted.

I'll get my coat.
RD
RDJ
Jon posted:
I'm pretty sure it'll be ditched as soon as its new owners get their teeth into it.

What reasoning do you have to think that? Have they given any indication of how their marketing will change? Genuinely interested as I’m not sure what you’re basing it on.

New owners tend to want to make their mark in normal circumstances and this is a major change of hands as the new owners couldn't really be more different than the old ones.

That, coupled with the fact that the campaign has been very poorly received suggests it'll be gone soon enough.

It’s generated discussion. If it annoys/irritates you (as it does me) - it provokes a reaction. That’s gold for advertising agencies compared to ad’s that blend in the background. It’s not going anywhere.
Brekkie and DeMarkay gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
I can't say I find the Christmas ad that annoying or irritating - especially as they seem to have largely dropped the iffy 'Asda fan making his own advert' concept.
Whataday, JetixFann450 and DeMarkay gave kudos
DJ
DJ Dave
tbf the best thing Walmart did was bring back "That's Asda Price" best slogan they have had.
WH
Whataday Founding member
RDJ posted:
It’s generated discussion. If it annoys/irritates you (as it does me) - it provokes a reaction. That’s gold for advertising agencies compared to ad’s that blend in the background. It’s not going anywhere.

I agree in principle, but Asda doesn't really need to fight for brand recognition in that way. Brands that irritate to stand out are generally not supermarkets, and for good reason.

I also agree with Phil that this Christmas advert is nowhere near as bad as the previous in the campaign, now that they've transitioned away from the "fan made" conceit.
JO
Jonwo

I also agree with Phil that this Christmas advert is nowhere near as bad as the previous in the campaign, now that they've transitioned away from the " fan made" conceit .

I never want to see anymore Zoom based or at home ads ever again.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I would have thought Asda would have had a contract with the ad agency before the takeover.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I would have thought Asda would have had a contract with the ad agency before the takeover.

That means little. If Asda weren't happy with what they were getting from the agency (AMV BBDO) they could change it. Asda have their own creatives that work alongside the agency and have full input. Also considering their previous agency (Saatchi & Saatchi) was with them for two years until AMV BBDO took over two years ago, there could be scope for change, potentially.

Worth mentioning AMV BBDO were also responsible for the Sainsburys John Cleese campaign (but later redeemed themselves - some might say - with Jamie Oliver).
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Supermarket Christmas ads have come a long way

I'm not sure what supermarkets get out of these generic ads at Christmas. Did anybody not know that Asda sell turkeys?

If the ads were showing specific special offers, or advertising extended opening hours etc they might be more useful.
JO
Jonny
I agree in principle, but Asda doesn't really need to fight for brand recognition in that way. Brands that irritate to stand out are generally nI also agree with Phil that this Christmas advert is nowhere near as bad as the previous in the campaign, now that they've transitioned away from the "fan made" conceit.

I agree, and I *really* didn't like those new Asda adverts due to their duplicity and general crapness.

This advert is fine. The end shot is actually creative, memorable and fits the brand. We're not in "Ben Miller and his annoying manchild son Tesco family" territory here.
ET
ethanh05
Jonny posted:
I agree in principle, but Asda doesn't really need to fight for brand recognition in that way. Brands that irritate to stand out are generally nI also agree with Phil that this Christmas advert is nowhere near as bad as the previous in the campaign, now that they've transitioned away from the "fan made" conceit.

I agree, and I *really* didn't like those new Asda adverts due to their duplicity and general crapness.

This advert is fine. The end shot is actually creative, memorable and fits the brand. We're not in "Ben Miller and his annoying manchild son Tesco family" territory here.

You're right we're not in that territory. Because we've gone past it.

At least then, I didn't want to punch any of the people involved in it. That bloke in the Asda advert could sit there doing nothing for 30 seconds and he would still be punchable, because the look on his face is always one you want to punch off. And at least the Tesco adverts tried to be funny in some way, even if they weren't.

I'm not sure, but I think the word 'heartbroken' doesn't mean what it usually does when it comes to Christmas adverts in this article:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/asdas-christmas-tv-advert-leaves-22956767

Anyway, Walkers' advert is also out. I can't tell if it's the best or the worst thing I've ever seen.

Newer posts