The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
nigel posted:
DTV posted:
Studio B is finally seen Very Happy like it never disappeared.

Although Studio B is probably one of the my favourite news sets ever, I'd be fine to lose it on a regular basis if they are still going to bring it out for special occassions.

Can’t see why it couldn’t be used for Question Time in its present form instead of hiring an outside studio.
I know that is from another budget, but open it out to outside let’s and raise some revenue.
It could quite easily have been used in a non-news way for It Takes Two for a couple of months.
Better to have revenue coming in than for months standing empty.

Because it's gallery is not standard, it's built around Mosart, which gives Mentorn a much smaller pool of freelance Directors/Vision Mixers to choose from.
AL
AaronLancs
nigel posted:
DTV posted:

Although Studio B is probably one of the my favourite news sets ever, I'd be fine to lose it on a regular basis if they are still going to bring it out for special occassions.

Can’t see why it couldn’t be used for Question Time in its present form instead of hiring an outside studio.
I know that is from another budget, but open it out to outside let’s and raise some revenue.
It could quite easily have been used in a non-news way for It Takes Two for a couple of months.

Because it's gallery is not standard, it's built around Mosart, which gives Mentorn a much smaller pool of freelance Directors/Vision Mixers to choose from.

Also holding Question Time in Studio B would be counter productive to its remit. It is a show that - in normal times (non-Covid) - gets the pulse of the voice of the "common man" to a tailored policital panel from around the various regions of the UK with a varied range of panellists unique to the areas visited. Basing it in Broadcasting House's Studio B would center it in an entirely London-centric 'opinion pool'. A futher question to ask, would Mentorn or the BBC really, really, really pay for a regional audience and guests to move en masse to London just to use the studio for one day. I think not. So when things pick back up eventually, it would make more sense for the show to return back to as it has been since its inception.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
To be fair, Nigel did say "in its present form", I don't think he was proposing it as a long term option.
DT
DTV
nigel posted:

Also holding Question Time in Studio B would be counter productive to its remit. It is a show that - in normal times (non-Covid) - gets the pulse of the voice of the "common man" to a tailored policital panel from around the various regions of the UK with a varied range of panellists unique to the areas visited. Basing it in Broadcasting House's Studio B would center it in an entirely London-centric 'opinion pool'. A futher question to ask, would Mentorn or the BBC really, really, really pay for a regional audience and guests to move en masse to London just to use the studio for one day. I think not. So when things pick back up eventually, it would make more sense for the show to return back to as it has been since its inception.

Also probably pertinent to mention that Studio B, although larger than the other NBH studios, is still small in TV terms. When they did Question Time from TVC, they used TC6 which is roughly 2.5x bigger than Studio B. No way you could fit in B.
JF
JF World News
DTV posted:

Also probably pertinent to mention that Studio B, although larger than the other NBH studios, is still small in TV terms. When they did Question Time from TVC, they used TC6 which is roughly 2.5x bigger than Studio B. No way you could fit in B.

The other issue B has been set up for Global Questions for months
HA
harshy Founding member
DTV posted:

Really that was somewhere within broadcast house surely?
RK
Rkolsen
DTV posted:

I thought Global Questions was in the theater?
DT
DTV

I thought Global Questions was in the theater?

A few recent editions have come from Studio B. Not sure of the need for a big cardboard backdrop in front of an LED videowall though?
DA
Dave Founding member
It’s nice having the clock on screen rotating between the time zones - would be a good permanent addition to BBC Word.
MA
Meridian AM
Dave posted:
It’s nice having the clock on screen rotating between the time zones - would be a good permanent addition to BBC Word.

Wouldn't it make it less consistent for viewers and create more work for them to remove it when they are simulcasting with the UK channel though?
The clock on CNN International rotates between GMT and CET and works OK. But I wouldn't say it's essential or adds anything, apart from yet more onscreen text!
The time is also readily available to viewers via phone, EPG, traditional clocks, watches, etc.
And there are also broadcast delays when watching via satellite or online, etc, so never fully accurate to the second - something I find now, with BBC News always a few seconds behind Sky News on Sky Q.
I believe BBC World already puts the local time onscreen during live location interviews anyway.
HA
harshy Founding member
I’d like to see the that feature on bbc news channel where the lives aren’t coming from the UK.
AndrewPSSP, Jory and Matthew_Fieldhouse gave kudos
UN
Universal_r
No bbc news at 6 on the news channel this evening, outside source instead. When was the last time this happened?

Newer posts