The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JF World News
DTV posted:
AlexS posted:
Does anyone know why some programmes are called “bbc news” and others are called “bbc world news” on the overnight simulcast.

It is all listed as World News on World. On the UK schedule hours that have been generic bulletins for the past few years are listed as BBC News whereas those hours that were previously named bulletins are listed as BBC World News. This has also been the case over the past couple of Xmas periods so I presume it has something to do with the fact that the schedule for these hours has altered in the period in which it has been more acceptable for the BBC World News brand to be seen in the UK whereas nobody has thought to update the template for 2-4am because they haven't had named bulletins for many a year. With regards to the actual introduction to the bulletin other than the 2am usually having some reference to PBS (although it didn't tonight) the exact wording tends to vary more by presenter than by the time of day other than the midnight hour at weekends usually (but not always) being referred to as BBC World News (presumably because it is the final hour of a shift that is largely world only).

BBC News' listings have always been fairly curious. During the clamshell era, The World Today and The World were always simply listed by BBC World as 'BBC News', while BBC News continued to list the 0500 bulletin as The World Today long after the name was dropped.

The ones listed as BBC World News were Newsday, World News Today and The Briefing, ie branded simulcast programmes which are off-air
Last edited by JF World News on 3 November 2020 2:58pm
MI
TheMike
World Business Report takes over the pre-Covid Business Briefing slots from next Monday ...at 0530 and 0630 UK.

WBR's original pre-Covid slots either side of midday UK time Mon-Fri remain off-air.
UN
Universal_r
Has Rajini Vaidyanathan left the BBC? Because in this tweet she says “former colleagues”

AS
AlexS
Has Rajini Vaidyanathan left the BBC? Because in this tweet she says “former colleagues”

I think she means former in the sense of people she worked with whilst she was in America (a couple of them appear to have left the BBC and none of the on screen people (I have no idea as to the career history of those behind the scenes) who have moved to the US team since she moved across to her current position are included).
UN
Universal_r
Ah yes that makes, thanks.
HA
harshy Founding member
Studio B is finally seen Very Happy like it never disappeared.
UN
Universal_r
On-screen graphics are looking pretty good, a lot better than the ge last year.
NI
nigel
The touch screen has shrunk, looks a bit lost in that area.
DT
DTV

Although Studio B is probably one of the my favourite news sets ever, I'd be fine to lose it on a regular basis if they are still going to bring it out for special occassions.
NI
nigel
DTV posted:

Although Studio B is probably one of the my favourite news sets ever, I'd be fine to lose it on a regular basis if they are still going to bring it out for special occassions.

Can’t see why it couldn’t be used for Question Time in its present form instead of hiring an outside studio.
I know that is from another budget, but open it out to outside let’s and raise some revenue.
It could quite easily have been used in a non-news way for It Takes Two for a couple of months.
Better to have revenue coming in than for months standing empty.
UN
Universal_r
It’s a shame that studio E isn’t being used for the news, instead we’ve got C with that horrible washed out newsroom backdrop.
MO
Moz
It’s a shame that studio E isn’t being used for the news, instead we’ve got C with that horrible washed out newsroom backdrop.

I hate that backdrop. It’s pathetic.
AndrewPSSP, harshy and Universal_r gave kudos

Newer posts