TV Home Forum

Christmas Adverts 2020

(October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Pretty much a perfect advert there - the only issue is that it doesn't have a massive amount to do with Argos, but it's great in every other respect.

Surely it does. They wanted a magic set for Christmas which they'd seen in the "Book of Dreams" and ended up staging their dream magic show.
ET
ethanh05
*sigh*

TK Maxx's effort is much better:
OR
orange
I knew they weren’t going to be up to their usual standards because of the obvious, but god... some of these really are crap - or should i say most, excluding Argos and TKMaxx... (i love how camp the latter is)

Meh-rry Christmas indeed.
JF
JetixFann450
Suppose it wouldn't be Christmas without Aldi and well, they've gone all "Top Gun" on us this year.

And Kev's gone missing again. As you do flying a cockpit with a turkey.
LY
Lynetwork
Loving TK Maxx's little goat. Very and Argos haven't done too bad either with their efforts. Asda's... best left unsaid.

There's still Tesco, John Lewis/Waitrose, Boots and Debenhams to go (if they even have an ad this year), then Sainsbury's usually does theirs after the Poppy Appeal. But an interesting crop of ads so far...
JK
JKDerry
As I was thinking about the Christmas adverts, it got me thinking was BBC One have planned for their Christmas presentation in 2020?

Last year's idents were okay, but in recent years BBC One at Christmas presentation has been lacklustre at times, I wonder how they will deal with Christmas 2020?
GE
thegeek Founding member
Here's Amazon's, which has curiously eschewed the deep letterbox format for what appears to be a 14:9 pillarbox.

It's also clearly American but with all the speech replaced with British voices.
WH
Whataday Founding member
That Asda advert is probably the best one out of that whole sorry campaign. I'm pretty sure it'll be ditched as soon as its new owners get their teeth into it.
JO
Jon
I'm pretty sure it'll be ditched as soon as its new owners get their teeth into it.

What reasoning do you have to think that? Have they given any indication of how their marketing will change? Genuinely interested as I’m not sure what you’re basing it on.
:-(
A former member
Jon posted:
I'm pretty sure it'll be ditched as soon as its new owners get their teeth into it.

What reasoning do you have to think that? Have they given any indication of how their marketing will change? Genuinely interested as I’m not sure what you’re basing it on.

Philomena Cunk doing a voiceover of their offers is surely 200% cheaper and more effective than some bloke with a vaguely grating voice pretending to make a home movie, no?
PF
PFML84
Personally, I hate the new Asda adverts with that family and the annoying father talking to camera. I hope they do ditch them and change tactics for future ad campaigns. I have to mute that ad when it comes on TV.
Personally, I hate the new Asda adverts with that family and the annoying father talking to camera. I hope they do ditch them and change tactics for future ad campaigns. I have to mute that ad when it comes on TV.

This. But 10 times over.

He's got such a smug face.

Newer posts