The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
AM160 posted:
Quote:

Technically it's a simple gig. Three presenters in a well lit room, in Central London. Two camera shoot with cuts to graphics and a Zoom client. When you compare it to a 28 camera live football match, or SCD, or X Factor, it's so simple (particularly with 100 or so indentical broadcasts since March), Why do you think my criticism is unjustified?

I think it’s Downing Street that supply the feed as a pool

Might be wrong,,,

No, it’s a broadcaster pool.

Let's start with a blank sheet of paper to try and understand things

1 x Main Camera. (HD SDI)?
1 x Wide Shot Camera (HD SDI)?
1 x Feed from Pres PC (Slides and Zoom) HDMI converted to HD SDI using a 'throw down' prosumer converter?
Audio from PM and 'co presenters' Supplied by No 10?

I get why you can't use a small News van to cover, and I get why you can't rig a flight case rig in the room, (or leave either in position medium term)

All the above feeds really need to be hauled back to an appointed host broadcaster facility, (and not sent in two different directions round London!)

You could even probably compress the whole lot so they fit into a single HD bandwidth link, given the pictures are very undemanding in terms of movement (Plus the same again on a redundant path)

I'm really confused why the combined engineering might of the BBC, ITN, and Sky can't deploy a better solution?
VM
VMPhil
Re: all the talk of people not being able to find the news channel.

HA
harshy Founding member
dvboy posted:
Here's BBC World cutting to the press conference

Wow two flippers on at the same time.
AN
all new Phil
Re: all the talk of people not being able to find the news channel.

Great lead-in for Strictly. They should commission more.
UN
Universal_r
dvboy posted:

Wow two flippers on at the same time.

Well we do know the bbc like their flippers
harshy and Meridian AM gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
dvboy posted:

Crikey, that was rather a sudden cut to the newsreader. Do they not have PIDLE stings on BBC World News anymore? That used to be one of the little joys of BBC World back in the early 2000s - you'd never know when the PIDLE sting would be used to transfer over to breaking news or live coverage. I got lucky once and managed to record one.
harshy and Meridian AM gave kudos
DT
DTV
dvboy posted:

Why are BBC World News cutting to the press conference? I can see why they might edit it down for a report, but there is no real reason for them to cover something that in depth with so little relevance to an international audience. They don't even have the excuse of simulcasting.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I was surprised they didn't specify "British Prime Minister" as seems to be the usual World style
SW
Steve Williams
Re: all the talk of people not being able to find the news channel

Well, indeed. I don't understand comments like this...

A lot of people wouldn't have bothered turning over to the news channel and won't see the important explanations that the PM and his scientists are giving. Staying on One would have captured a lot more viewers for this important moment.
Again, Sky News coverage has been faultless.

Sky News is one channel along from BBC News on the EPG, so if people were able to find it on Sky News, they could find it on BBC News. If it was that important, why didn't Sky put it on Sky One?
Rexogamer, Anthony_1984 and Brekkie gave kudos
MI
Michael
BBC1 leave the Press Conference journalists questions early to go to Strictly??? Wow!

It's really not good for the national broadcaster. How is the dancing show more important than one of the biggest announcements ever, which affects the whole country?? Cutting of the Prime Minister and telling viewers to switch to their (pathetic) news channel to see the rest of it?!! I know Strictly is popular, but surely it could wait!!.

Remember Boris was late because he wanted to watch the rugby. Not BBC's fault he decided to prempt and crash their Strictly slot.
Jonwo, BFGArmy and Meridian AM gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
This is doing the rounds on social media - the BBC Sign Language interpreter reflects the nation's mood after Johnson's speech

JA
JAS84
Re: all the talk of people not being able to find the news channel

Well, indeed. I don't understand comments like this...

A lot of people wouldn't have bothered turning over to the news channel and won't see the important explanations that the PM and his scientists are giving. Staying on One would have captured a lot more viewers for this important moment.
Again, Sky News coverage has been faultless.

Sky News is one channel along from BBC News on the EPG, so if people were able to find it on Sky News, they could find it on BBC News. If it was that important, why didn't Sky put it on Sky One?
Sky News has a higher reach than Sky One as it's on Freeview and Sky One isn't...

Newer posts