TV Home Forum

Bauer rebranding 53 stations to The Hits/Greatest Hits

The majority of its acquisitions last year (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
BBI45 posted:
I'm currently on holiday in Cornwall, and have been listening to Pirate FM. Is it just me, or do some of the jingles sound like remixes from the GHR package?

They do. Lincs FM also uses some GHR imaging.
PL
plymouthbloke1974
Radio Plymouth just signing off for the last drive time..... not sure if there are any shows over the weekend as there tends not to be when a station changes over....

RadioPlymouthDriveSignoff
Last edited by plymouthbloke1974 on 30 October 2020 7:15pm - 3 times in total
LL
Ipswich 102's Facebook has changed to GHR.
JO
Josh
Does the modern "emergency tape" still exist as a tape? Or is it a more modern digital solution these days, since I dare say most radio station playouts use digital files. Understand of course the backup solution at the transmitter is probably a fail-safe as there is a difference between going off air because (for example) the fire alarm's gone off at the studio and going off because the link to the transmitter has failed.

Not quite the same situation, but for the recent BBC local AM radio transmitter closures Arqiva deployed mp3 players at the transmitter sites for the 'We've gone from this frequency now......' messages.

Surprisingly, those were individually tailored with "you're listening to BBC Radio Somewhere on 1234 mediumwave" messages for each individual transmitter site/frequency. Some of them were amusing - Radio Newcastle had something along the lines of "you can re-tune, or stay tuned and listen to us say this all over again".

Bit late but here is said announcement, breaking the 4th wall!
PL
plymouthbloke1974
Last live programme about to finish on Radio Plymouth (at 11am).

It seems the studio premises will remain for local news/travel and ad sales though. I’ve also noticed on the GHR website there is now a feed called “GHR (Plymouth)” which leads me to believe the news, trails, ID’s etc may be bespoke for Plymouth. I was expecting Radio Plymouth to just become “GHR (Devon)” like the others in the county.... Thumbs up
Last edited by plymouthbloke1974 on 1 November 2020 10:39am
PL
plymouthbloke1974
For anyone interested, it’s switchover day today, and it seems to be a technical bodge-up....

FM: RDS still shows “PLYMOUTH” - programme output is stereo despite my earlier report stating it was mono.

DAB: “Radio Plymouth” is still there, with the same “localised” output as 106.7FM, albeit still in 56k mono. “Greatest Hits UK” is still there as before in 80k mono.

GHR App: GHR Plymouth is just playing the UK-wide feed, so no local news/travel online.

Total mess.
Last edited by plymouthbloke1974 on 2 November 2020 10:41am
CI
cityprod
For anyone interested, it’s switchover day today, and it seems to be a technical bodge-up....

FM: RDS still shows “PLYMOUTH” - programme output is stereo despite my earlier report stating it was mono.

DAB: “Radio Plymouth” is still there, with the same “localised” output as 106.7FM, albeit still in 56k mono. “Greatest Hits UK” is still there as before in 80k mono.

GHR App: GHR Plymouth is just playing the UK-wide feed, so no local news/travel online.

Total mess.

By noon, "Radio Plymouth" became "Grt Hits Plymouth" on DAB. "Greatest Hits UK" became "Reselect G Hits". Also, on the Cornwall Mux, Greatest Hits has been rebadged as "Grt Hits Cornwall".
PL
plymouthbloke1974
I hope they increase the bitrate of the Plymouth version as 56k mono is terrible, unless they’ve swapped the feeds over..... however at least we have FM now.

Now all they have to do is sort the online feed out Smile

EDIT: Apparently according to an email I’ve just had back, the feeds have been updated. GHR Plymouth should now be 80kbit mono and the UK feed is the relabelled one. Online stream is being looked into at the moment as well.
Last edited by plymouthbloke1974 on 2 November 2020 2:26pm
BB
BBI45
EDIT: Apparently according to an email I’ve just had back, the feeds have been updated. GHR Plymouth should now be 80kbit mono and the UK feed is the relabelled one. Online stream is being looked into at the moment as well.

If that was a response from the GHR team, be thankful you got a decent response. I emailed in complaining that the GHR skill on Alexa gave me the wrong area, and I was told to keep saying "Alexa, next" until I found it (about 45 stations later). When I sent another one saying that it takes ages and doesn't save after use, they ignored it.

On another note, the Cornwall station still seems to be using the national jingle set.
PL
plymouthbloke1974
It was an email from the Network Operations Manager. So I’d like to think they’re on the ball! The local feed is still 56k mono on DAB but that might change when the UK feed disappears in a couple of weeks.

EDIT (15:47): Online feed is now playing Plymouth version. Let’s see what happens with Cornwalls feed at 4pm.

EDIT 2 (16:26): Cornwall feed is still the UK version - seeing as the travel news started in Edinburgh and worked its way south Laughing
Last edited by plymouthbloke1974 on 2 November 2020 4:27pm - 4 times in total
MI
TheMike
Has the GHR UK feed in Plymouth switched to Country Hits Radio yet?
LL
In Ipswich, the regional drive presenter in Norwich did a split link calling it GHR Ipswich and Suffolk and mentioned the frequency, welcoming new listeners.

Newer posts