TV Home Forum

Bobby Ball has died

JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
Miranda was in for one or two series and Tim had left a few series before the change. I do think it misses Katy Wix though.

It’s not really a family sitcom either, apart from first series after they changed the set up it’s mainly just the adults that feature anyway. Most of the plots and scripts could have featured in the previous setting quite easily. You sound like someone who’s watched one episode of the new version and decided you don’t like it anymore.
iloveTV1, Meridian AM and Brekkie gave kudos
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
It’s still the same characters and the same type of humour, just a different setting. I enjoy it as much now as I did before.
AS
Ash101
Agree about Katy Wix. Wonder if they’d be tempted to bring her back now?

Because surely the other set of parents won’t really work in comedy value now without Frank to chalk and cheese the dynamic.
LL
London Lite Founding member London London
I've watched a few of the second generation Not Going Out episodes and they're not on a par with the original.

Don't get me wrong, Lee Mack is a fab writer and plays the part well, but it's not the same when it was Lee playing a singleton, although Bobby Ball was a welcome addition.
BK
bkman1990 UTV Newsline
Oh no. It's sad to hear that he died of Covid-19.

I might have recalled seeing him in Heartbeat some years ago as a kid when I was watching it on UTV in the 90's. But more recently old video recordings of him appeared in a music video with Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds called Black Star Dancing. The 1st time I saw that music video was on Channel 4 F1 highlights programme a few years ago. I watched the video on Youtube after that programme. Bobby Ball is in there wearing a tuxedo somewhere in the video. I think those clips are from the 1970's. Bernard Manning is in it as well. I also remember that the old Granada logo appeared at the tail end of the video.

Here is that music video that has Bobby in it.

May he RIP. Sad
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
I remember watching the very first episode, hating it and not returning until they repeated the second series (just before the third I guess) and loved it - so much in the first episode with Lucy is brilliant. I then went back to the first series and actually appreciated it a lot more.

The dynamic has certainly changed where a lot of the flirty behaviour has now been replaced with bickering - standard comedy marriage material I guess. I think the last Halloween episode was the first one I switched off before the end. I did enjoy the live Christmas special though with bits like Sally's fluffed lines (maybe deliberate, but I like to think not).

Lee tried the family sitcom didn't he with a pilot of Everybody Loves Raymond but it never got picked up. Maybe coercing Not Going Out into that format was the best/only option.

An interesting comment from David Jason on Breakfast yesterday on how shows, particularly sitcoms, are expected to instantly be successful now. Good luck to anyone trying to create a mainstream, multi-camera sitcom these days.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
The Wheel Tappers and Shunters social club was indeed a 70s variety show, and that's where those clips are from. And it was made by Granada.
LL
The Wheel Tappers and Shunters social club was indeed a 70s variety show, and that's where those clips are from. And it was made by Granada.

It was a staple of the Men and Motors channel.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Asa posted:
An interesting comment from David Jason on Breakfast yesterday on how shows, particularly sitcoms, are expected to instantly be successful now. Good luck to anyone trying to create a mainstream, multi-camera sitcom these days.

I just think of Cheers when I hear this. By today's standards it would have been axed after a few episodes because of how poorly it rated, but instead they gave it a chance and it ran for 11 years, then span off Fraiser which ran for another 11 years. Makes you wonder how many potential successful long runners have been thrown away in recent years because they weren't instant successes.
LL
Asa posted:

I just think of Cheers when I hear this. By today's standards it would have been axed after a few episodes because of how poorly it rated, but instead they gave it a chance and it ran for 11 years, then span off Fraiser which ran for another 11 years. Makes you wonder how many potential successful long runners have been thrown away in recent years because they weren't instant successes.

The market has changed since the likes of Cheers were given a chance to mature. The networks are competing against the SVoD services and even more cable channels compared to the 80s and 90s.

I've watched The Connors, the Roseanne spin-off and while I personally don't think it's that good compared to the previous show, it's been recommissioned, so as long as the numbers work for the network, they'll carry on unless the ratings really tank.
IS
Inspector Sands
Jon posted:
I think you’re being a bit pedantic about the title of the show. It’s still very much the same cast and show with the storyline just having progressed.

Though there's only one original cast member still in it.

I only got into it after the female leads changed so the old ones with Miranda and the American actress seem very odd.

Quote:
It’s not like Still Open All Hours or Yes Minister either, where there is an easy fix with the name.

True, they'd have had to have gone down the Man About The House/Robins Nest route of essentially starting again with some of the same characters in a different 'sit'
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 31 October 2020 7:08am - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands

That video is great, I'd forgotten about that. The archive footage looks great, they did an excellent job of grading it and bringing it up to that condition

Coming back to Cannon and Ball, they had an unfortunate introduction to TV. They were meant to be part of the disastrous Bruce's Big Night show. They were promoted as being on it but got dropped from every episode. Then they were given their own series but it started just before the big ITV strike in 1979.

https://www.tvcream.co.uk/its-saturday-night/11-together-well-be-ok/
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 31 October 2020 8:27am

Newer posts