The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
Steven in the glass box again this morning. Surprising considering they’ve been trailing Kay as in Washington all week. In actual fact, she only did 3 days. Interesting that the unpopular Kay Burley graphic from earlier this week hasn’t resurfaced. Have to say, I really like Steven. Particularly his pairing with Gillian. Would like to see him teamed up with Kay sometime. I imagine that would be an interesting dynamic Very Happy

I don't think she'd want to share the limelight.
Glad that PowerPoint slide seems to have been dumped.
TVViewer256 and mediamonkeyuk gave kudos
CW
CraigWills
Steven in the glass box again this morning. Surprising considering they’ve been trailing Kay as in Washington all week. In actual fact, she only did 3 days. Interesting that the unpopular Kay Burley graphic from earlier this week hasn’t resurfaced. Have to say, I really like Steven. Particularly his pairing with Gillian. Would like to see him teamed up with Kay sometime. I imagine that would be an interesting dynamic Very Happy

Nick Quraishi did the Early Rundown today as a result which I think is probably a first.

I have to say as well I’m not sure Kay’s show from Washington has really been warranted, to stand there for 3 hours, looking freezing, during what is the early hours 3am-6am (2am-5am next week). It’s added very little in my opinion and considering she’ll need to be off for two weeks when she does arrive back in the UK; I’m not sure it’s worth her missing two weeks of shows. I’d have sent another anchor, to co-anchor the breakfast show (Sally Lockwood is already there or even someone like Gamal or Isabel), allowing Kay to stay in Westminster, especially considering the UK news agenda is still pretty busy.
mediamonkeyuk and Meridian AM gave kudos
SJ
sjhoward
It’s added very little in my opinion and considering she’ll need to be off for two weeks when she does arrive back in the UK; I’m not sure it’s worth her missing two weeks of shows.

Maybe the home setup with the desk has been installed chez Kay? Then she wouldn’t have to be off for a fortnight on her return.
ME
mediamonkeyuk
More Sky News home studios coming soon, seemingly. This time with physical set!

Does that show the new box less logo on screen or is it just the glare making it less obvious?
MA
Meridian AM

Nick Quraishi did the Early Rundown today as a result which I think is probably a first.

I have to say as well I’m not sure Kay’s show from Washington has really been warranted, to stand there for 3 hours, looking freezing, during what is the early hours 3am-6am (2am-5am next week). It’s added very little in my opinion and considering she’ll need to be off for two weeks when she does arrive back in the UK; I’m not sure it’s worth her missing two weeks of shows. I’d have sent another anchor, to co-anchor the breakfast show (Sally Lockwood is already there or even someone like Gamal or Isabel), allowing Kay to stay in Westminster, especially considering the UK news agenda is still pretty busy.

Yeah, I don't understand why they think it's important to have her (or anyone) standing in Washington at 3am to read links and conduct DTL interviews with people in the UK. Most of her programme turns out to be UK news, anyway.
I'm sure the average viewer really won't care whether she's reading the news from Washington, Westminster or her bedroom. (Especially as everyone is so used to seeing people on TV talking from their homes these days).

I can understand them discussing the US election outcome more next week when it happens. But I think this week, and overall, the majority of UK viewers are more interested in the busy domestic news scene and the virus.
Last edited by Meridian AM on 30 October 2020 11:36am
VA
valley
More Sky News home studios coming soon, seemingly. This time with physical set!

Does that show the new box less logo on screen or is it just the glare making it less obvious?

Just the glare.
VA
valley

Nick has done it before - I couldn’t tell you when, but I’ve seen him on air with the Early Rundown.
Perhaps it’s Kay’s choice to be out there? I do agree that it would make more sense to have a co-anchor of some form - Kay in Washington for “world” stories and then whoever is doing the Early Rundown in Osterley does more local stories (as they are staying in the Glass Box until 10 anyway as the standby presenter) would make sense to me.
:-(
A former member
To be fair, the next week will probably shape the news agenda for the next few months and years.
DE
derek500
It’s added very little in my opinion and considering she’ll need to be off for two weeks when she does arrive back in the UK; I’m not sure it’s worth her missing two weeks of shows.

Maybe the home setup with the desk has been installed chez Kay? Then she wouldn’t have to be off for a fortnight on her return.

Won't she get a professional exemption from the 14 day quarantine? Sports people are going back and forth between the UK and other countries. I'm sure Kay's still been doing her Telegraph travel column.
TV
TVViewer256

Won't she get a professional exemption from the 14 day quarantine? Sports people are going back and forth between the UK and other countries. I'm sure Kay's still been doing her Telegraph travel column.

Not sure - Nigel Farage (who is there as a 'journalist' for the Telegraph) said on GMB this morning that he would have to quarantine.

And before we start the arguments about whether Nigel Farage is or isn't a journalist, he's there on journalistic dispensation by the Telegraph, meaning he would abide by the same rules as the other journalists going to the US.
VA
valley

No, I don’t think she will. Kay was only doing her Telegraph column to places which were on the list of travel corridors, if I remember correctly.
SK
skynewsfreak
New Sky News logos are now being used across the Sky website

Newer posts