TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Kunst posted:
Wait, they still use the subtitles tag?

Yep. Over the start of the programme like ITV.
PF
PFML84
Yes, they were in the same font the channel used for their presentation. Strange they are considered to be needed in this day and age.
Kunst and Meridian AM gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
I’m assuming that they’re not required as channel 4 got rid of theirs years ago, I remember a version in the striped/square logo era, but I don’t remember one after that.
JA
james-2001
It didn't even exist for most of the stripes era I don't think, I think it was gone by 2001.
VM
VMPhil
Historically, UKTV's pres has been influenced by the BBC's - though not nearly as much as it used to be - and they still use the 'Subtitles' tag too.
DB
dbl
Historically, UKTV's pres has been influenced by the BBC's - though not nearly as much as it used to be - and they still use the 'Subtitles' tag too.

Yup!
DB
dbl
dbl posted:
This is what happens when you have an external agency rebrand a channel, they'll charge pretty pennies to get the masters, so it's cheaper to upscale for now.

Or, to look at it another way...when a channel doesn't retain copies of masters they paid for and presumably were supplied with.

Well it did change hands a few times, RED BEE was also doing the Creative stuff before it moved in-house to form UKTV Creative
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Something has been puzzling me for a long while about UKTV.

In an effort to not wake the baby when I first became a Dad, I had the TV volume on very low and put on the subtitles after putting him to bed.

Now, I find it hard not to watch TV without subtitles (except live subtitles which are annoying).

My question is - why do the subtitles on UKTV channels always have a very wide right margin?

TIA.
SP
Spencer
I’m assuming that they’re not required as channel 4 got rid of theirs years ago, I remember a version in the striped/square logo era, but I don’t remember one after that.

This came up in another discussion not so long ago. The Ofcom Code on Television Access Services states:
Quote:
A1.21 Publicity: the word ‘Subtitles’ should be displayed legibly on the screen at the start of the programme.

So Channel 4 is actually in breach of the code by not showing a Subtitles DOG.
MM
MMcG198

Clean Feed published an article on this subject in 2018 - it includes a response from Channel 4 regarding the Ofcom Code.

LINK: https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/354/opinion/are-all-these-subtitles-reminders-really-necessary/
SP
Spencer

Clean Feed published an article on this subject in 2018 - it includes a response from Channel 4 regarding the Ofcom Code.

LINK: https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/354/opinion/are-all-these-subtitles-reminders-really-necessary/

Interesting. I’ve not read that before. So basically C4 are saying they’re following the code, but just not following best practice.
D4
d4ky
My Gold channel 810 is now 4:3 rather than 16:9.

Gold SD has always been stretched so watch that rather than HD but I’ve now noticed as of two days ago that’s stopped? Is it just my sky box or has this changed?

Newer posts