TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PL
plymouthbloke1974
So would the switch of playout providers for UKTV be visually seen on-screen? Presumably this kind of thing happens in the dead of night. Was there any downtime?

I remember Challenge and Living TV went off air for a few hours when Sky took over the broadcasting of these channels.. but that was more a change of ownership.
JA
james-2001
I think most of the UKTV channels show teleshopping overnight, so the switch probably took place during that. Not that anyone watches it.
DB
dbl
So would the switch of playout providers for UKTV be visually seen on-screen? Presumably this kind of thing happens in the dead of night. Was there any downtime?

It happened this morning, and it was fairly seamless. The channel DOG disappeared for a few minutes and re-appeared when SES kicked in. They're both running the same TX schedule, as UKTV would have to send a schedule twice to both providers.
Last edited by dbl on 29 October 2020 12:38pm
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

When I've been involved in that sort of thing before, whether a change of provider or simply moving from one bit of kit to another, they would be duel-running for some time and should be frame-accurate to the same schedule so the switch should be pretty seamless. Sometimes you'd have to throw up a cue dot or different bug or something like that just to be sure the switch has taken place.
bilky asko, FBC and dbl gave kudos
FB
FBC
Sometimes you'd have to throw up a cue dot or different bug or something like that just to be sure the switch has taken place.

Maybe that’s why the DOG disappeared for a few minutes before the switch? They took it off on the ‘old’ feed and kept it on the ‘new’ one?

So, DOG = done?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Watching GOLD HD on NOW TV, the DOG appears to have shrunk and the upscaling of The Good Life has improved compared to yesterday.
VM
VMPhil
The 4:3 DOGs are bit too far towards the middle of the screen for my liking (on Gold and Drama anyway).
PF
PFML84
All the DOGs appear to have moved a little further into the image compared to where they were previously. Not much, but to people with keen eyes such as ourselves, it is noticeably different. Some have also changed size too, but smaller so that's a good thing.

I thought this move was to allow trailers and promos to go out in HD? Break bumpers on GOLD are still SD upscaled.
Last edited by PFML84 on 29 October 2020 4:03pm - 2 times in total
DB
dbl
Break bumpers on GOLD are still SD upscaled.

This is what happens when you have an external agency rebrand a channel, they'll charge pretty pennies to get the masters, so it's cheaper to upscale for now.
MM
MMcG198
dbl posted:
This is what happens when you have an external agency rebrand a channel, they'll charge pretty pennies to get the masters, so it's cheaper to upscale for now.

Or, to look at it another way...when a channel doesn't retain copies of masters they paid for and presumably were supplied with.
VM
VMPhil
The 'Subtitles' graphic now seems to be a uniform Gill Sans across all the channels. I think previously they used a different typeface for each channel.
KU
Kunst
Wait, they still use the subtitles tag?

Newer posts