TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
I assume he was paid less once it went daytime (IIRC he did both a primetime run and a daytime series). £2000 for a 100 episode run would be £200k, perhaps for 25 days work at 4 episodes a day. I suspect Alexander Armstrong and Richard Osman get less, and Bradley Walsh and possibly Ben Shepherd get more.

We know in 2008/9 Carol Vorderman was on around £1m for Countdown, and then the budget was slashed to £100k when Rachel Riley came in, and that's for around 240 episodes a year.

According to Vorderman herself, it was £900,000 a year, with a 90% pay cut offered to £90,000 a year as part of the negotiations.

see here ……..

NEWS on WALESONLINE.CO.UK
20-Oct-2020 @ 01:04

EDIT: In another interview, she says that she was paid three times as much as Richard Whiteley.

see here ……..

PODCASTS on TODAYFM.COM
20-Oct-2020 @ 01:11
Last edited by bilky asko on 20 October 2020 1:11am
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
DE88 posted:
It *must* have happened that Nicky, Bradders, John and/or Paul landed on Bankrupt, right? (Or, indeed, Lose A Turn or Free Spin.)

In an update to this (aka an episode I've just seen go out on Challenge), Bradders did the final spin and it looked like it was going to land on a Bankrupt. A "helping hand" was duly applied to push it on slightly in this case to the 400.
JA
JAS84

EDIT: In another interview, she says that she was paid three times as much as Richard Whiteley.
I wonder if that's partly because she was originally just doing numbers, and only started doing the letter tiles later. Did she inherit the letters girl's wages (basically doubling her pay) when she started doing both jobs?

9 days later

NJ
One of the most interesting things about shows such as Price is Right you can see how much things have changed electronics and price wise, its like a little time capsule. The other day a 1996 episode had a tag price for a complete computer system, CRT monitor, printer, in white (as was the trend at the time) with an asking price of over £1200 and the major selling point was it had a CD unit, although the CD thing has sort of gone full circle Smile

I dare say Supermarket Sweep is similar, offering prices at typical 90s prices, most of which have been eclipsed when you go into Lidl today and see how cheap they can knock it all out for.
MarkT76, DE88 and SuperSajuuk gave kudos

53 days later

NJ
Challenge has a wonderfully varied schedule this week which consists of a whopping total of... three programmes. Up until 5am on Boxing Day you can probably guess what the main programme is (for 17hrs a day), and the other two are Bullseye and an episode of Weakest Link at 4am.

Sometimes I wonder why this horse of a channel is still running. It's beginning to make the Virgin days of the channel look like a haven.
BR
Brekkie
Such a shame when I suspect they have pretty much annual Christmas specials from many of their regular shows and could offer a pretty varied festive nostalgia fest.

I love The Chase but find an hour a day on ITV to almost be overexposure, never mind 17 hours.
TI
This Is Granada
Challenge is a complete and utter turn off for me this week and next too.

My routine of Wheel of Fortune at Lunch, Bruces PIR at 3pm, Weakest Link at 5pm all gone. So are my eyeballs from the adverts too take note Challenge/Sky!

It's a relief tbh to get some respite from those god damn Sky VIP/Idris Elba sponsors.

I have however set the pvr for The Weakest Link at 4am as its the last 5 eps of Series 10. The whole of Series 10/120 eps have been on Challenge since September 2019 till now (so 15 months or so) in the 6pm/7pm/4pm/5pm/4am slots, so the whole of series 10 has had about 6 full playouts....just wish Challenge would buy some more different eps.
DE
DE88
I have however set the pvr for The Weakest Link at 4am as its the last 5 eps of Series 10. The whole of Series 10/120 eps have been on Challenge since September 2019 till now (so 15 months or so) in the 6pm/7pm/4pm/5pm/4am slots, so the whole of series 10 has had about 6 full playouts.... just wish Challenge would buy some more different eps.

Well I'm still willing to bet that Challenge will be closed by the end of 2021.

That reminds me to go to the 2021 Predictions thread...
IN
Interceptor
Such a shame when I suspect they have pretty much annual Christmas specials from many of their regular shows and could offer a pretty varied festive nostalgia fest.

I love The Chase but find an hour a day on ITV to almost be overexposure, never mind 17 hours.

Clearly the expectation isn't that viewers will watch non-stop The Chase, the hope is that they'll be able to catch viewers channel hopping with their most popular programme.

I agree that it's an incredibly lazy bit of scheduling, and it's dull for those of us who enjoyed the rest of their output, but ultimately the job is to drag as many eyes as possible to the screen... they've done similar marathons over public holidays before so they must work.

42 days later

TI
This Is Granada
'New to Challenge' from Monday 8th Feb is Series 1 of Tenable.

Challenge/Sky once again buying a show that's already shown to death on other channels anyway (just like Pointless/Chase). If only Challenge could get Tipping Point then it would have the full house of shows already shown far too much on other channels anyway (W's currently get that covered with how much Tipping Point it shows Rolling Eyes)

I'd rather Challenge get things like early eps of Weakest Link/Gladiators/Deal/Golden Balls rather than the boring 4some (Chase/Pointless/Tipping/Tenable).
NJ
There is probably nothing to stop Challenge buying Tipping Point if they really wanted to (not withstanding the fact W have it), but they obviously don't want it. Or they were caught napping and W got in there first.

Challenge have had all of what you list, even in these Sky owned days. Whether they still have them is anybody's guess.
BR
Brekkie
Tenable doesn't really get shown anywhere near as much as the other ITV quizzes. It's only shown at weekends if they have an extra hour to fill, is off air everytime ITV try out another show and doesn't have a regular celebrity series filling hours too, so it is probably a good buy for Challenge as more often than not they'll likely be the only channel showing it, unlike The Chase or Pointless which are available 6-7 days a week in their original homes.

Newer posts