TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84

Even if they did, it wouldn't have had the 1997 endcap on it seeing as that didn't even exist until 4 years later. I don't think Pearson owned Thames as early as 1993 either if you're referring to the one that appeared on the UK Gold repeats, so both of these are clearly later additions.

They bought Thames in the middle of 1993, although I don't think 'Pearson Television' as a name and an entity came about until they'd bought a few more TV companies
After they took over Grundy, I assume.
IS
Inspector Sands
JAS84 posted:

Even if they did, it wouldn't have had the 1997 endcap on it seeing as that didn't even exist until 4 years later. I don't think Pearson owned Thames as early as 1993 either if you're referring to the one that appeared on the UK Gold repeats, so both of these are clearly later additions.

They bought Thames in the middle of 1993, although I don't think 'Pearson Television' as a name and an entity came about until they'd bought a few more TV companies
After they took over Grundy, I assume.

and SelecTV
WH
Whataday Founding member
Pearson Plc bought Grundy in 1995 and the original Thames Television became Pearson Television in 1996, with Greg Dyke at the helm and Thames, Grundy etc used as production labels.

Thames and Grundy got their new endcaps in 1997 to coincide with the launch of Channel 5.
DB
dbl
Slight pres tweaks on some channels tomorrow to coincide with the switch to SES. Promos & adverts will now be HD also.
TheMike and Meridian AM gave kudos
MI
TheMike
dbl posted:
Slight pres tweaks on some channels tomorrow to coincide with the switch to SES. Promos & adverts will now be HD also.

Is this why Dave Ja Vu and Yesterday+1 went free-to-air on satellite this month?
DB
dbl
dbl posted:

Is this why Dave Ja Vu and Yesterday+1 went free-to-air on satellite this month?

I'm not sure to be honest.

But the feeds have switched now
PL
plymouthbloke1974
dbl posted:

Sorry I’m late to the party but “switch to SES”? Presume a change of playout provider?
DB
dbl
dbl posted:

Sorry I’m late to the party but “switch to SES”? Presume a change of playout provider?

Yep, RED BEE was the playout provider for UKTV but they recently did a deal with BBC Studios to switch playout
https://www.ses.com/press-release/ses-delivers-video-services-bbc-studios

You'll notice the difference as the promos & adverts are native HD, whereas before it was upscaled due to technical limitations.
JA
james-2001
My recordings of this morning's EastEnders repeats are in stretchyvision, I assume that's got something to do with the playout change.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
dbl posted:

Yep, the channels are now being played out from Munich.
AN
all new Phil
dbl posted:
dbl posted:

Yep, RED BEE was the playout provider for UKTV but they recently did a deal with BBC Studios to switch playout

You'll notice the difference as the promos & adverts are native HD, whereas before it was upscaled due to technical limitations.

Excuse my ignorance, but what technical limitations would mean they can play programmes in HD but not promos and adverts?
DB
dbl
dbl posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but what technical limitations would mean they can play programmes in HD but not promos and adverts?

Yep, similar situation at ITV a few years ago.
https://clearcast.co.uk/uncategorized/hd-adverts-itv/

From what I was told there 'wasn't enough space'.

Newer posts