TV Home Forum

Under-appreciated pres

An antidote to Oneness (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CC
CCFG
Yeah the lanterns ident was beautiful but it only lasted a few weeks which was a shame.

I agree, that and Dodgems are probably my favourite idents from that set, I've always found that set to be hit or miss.
BR
Brekkie
These always suffered for not being the cake and they were not as good of course, but for what they were the text based CENTRAL and Carlton idents weren't too bad.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It might be controversial but I think the cakes had started to run their course by then. The final textured single colour cakes were in my opinion not as good as the previous batches

Those CENTRAL idents were before their time, and would fit in very well these days when many companies have logos that are just a word in a clean font
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I prefer graphical idents. I liked this set when I lived in Carlton Central:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0NApwjR0mY

I adored these.
I loved the fact that they were designed with continuity in mind, something that seems to have disappeared in recent years. The form ups were all different, but all idents had a perfect cue for the announcers and a simple looped filmed of the stars rotating.

I still love this set even 20 years later, and the New Year's Day variation:

But I've said it before, this is my all-time favourite variation from that package:

I don't think any presentation package since these were retired gets close to them. A lot of presentation since then seems relatively safe and/or bland. It's a shame really.

With regards to under-appreciated pres, BBC Learning Zone package was pretty good and still looked it many years later - as late as 2015 there was the Learning Zone still proudly sticking to the 1997 style long after everything else on the BBC had effectively dumped it.

This package lasted best part of just under 18 years, nothing else has beaten it in terms of continuous length. I think the current BBC Four "style" from 2005 is still going, but not in its original form.
UT
UTVLifer
BBC One Rhythm and Movement 2002. Almost everyone hated it at the time but compared to Oneness it is great
SP
Spencer
BBC One Rhythm and Movement 2002. Almost everyone hated it at the time but compared to Oneness it is great

Compared to Oneness, Channel 3 North East looks pretty amazing.
UT
UTVLifer
I prefer graphical idents. I liked this set when I lived in Carlton Central:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0NApwjR0mY

I adored these.
I loved the fact that they were designed with continuity in mind, something that seems to have disappeared in recent years. The form ups were all different, but all idents had a perfect cue for the announcers and a simple looped filmed of the stars rotating.

I still love this set even 20 years later, and the New Year's Day variation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknXZ3qROsU

But I've said it before, this is my all-time favourite variation from that package:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvoUbAH66es

I don't think any presentation package since these were retired gets close to them. A lot of presentation since then seems relatively safe and/or bland. It's a shame really.

With regards to under-appreciated pres, BBC Learning Zone package was pretty good and still looked it many years later - as late as 2015 there was the Learning Zone still proudly sticking to the 1997 style long after everything else on the BBC had effectively dumped it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EhKljecwhA

This package lasted best part of just under 18 years, nothing else has beaten it in terms of continuous length. I think the current BBC Four "style" from 2005 is still going, but not in its original form.

Just think about all the BBC Two rebrands that Learning Zone surpassed - the original end to the 1991 2's, The personality twos, Windows on the World and just made it into the 1991's revival in 2015
UT
UTVLifer

Compared to Oneness, Channel 3 North East looks pretty amazing.

Just about anything looks amazing compared to oneness...I still can't believe 18 years on that the BBC didn't prepare a serious/emergency ident given what happened in Day 2 of the rebrand. Since then, I think, every new look for BBC One (and Two) have always had a sombre ident from Day 1.

Another under-appreciated presentation would be the 2008 pink BBC Three idents
RD
rdd Founding member
It has to be appreciated I think that for most people at the time the big crime the 1999 Carlton identity made was to ditch the Central and Westcountry brands. Had it only been rolled out as a new look in London it probably would have been hailed as one of the best on-air looks an ITV station had in years and superior to the Hearts (so toned down from what we now know to be the superior original execution). But any consideration of it on its own merits was completely lost by the crime of doing away with the regional brands.
RI
Richard
rdd posted:
It has to be appreciated I think that for most people at the time the big crime the 1999 Carlton identity made was to ditch the Central and Westcountry brands. Had it only been rolled out as a new look in London it probably would have been hailed as one of the best on-air looks an ITV station had in years and superior to the Hearts (so toned down from what we now know to be the superior original execution). But any consideration of it on its own merits was completely lost by the crime of doing away with the regional brands.

The thing that I always found strange about that rebrand is that continuity was still based in the regions (well Carlton Westcountry’s remained at HTV, but you know what I mean). They could have made them more localised without losing much brand identity.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think the Carlton 1999 look could have looked good with the Central or Westcountry name, as opposed to bringing them all under one banner. But of course its far easier to make one batch that just says Carlton and roll it out across three regions than make one that says Central and another that says Westcountry... Of course you had the situation at one point where HTV ended up with a hybrid collection of both packages - Carlton animations and "corporate" hearts.

Of course it could easily have gone the other way, and Carlton regions ended up with the full hearts package used by the GMG regions as that was probably the original plan. Which in comparison was relatively dire compared to what Carlton eventually went with.

The hearts on their own wasn't too bad a presentation package, though I felt it looked better outside of the channel idents, and when they introduced the hearts ECP package in 2001, that looked pretty neat as well. Yes it was heavily based on what American networks were doing at the time and had been doing for years, and after they got rid of that package it still floated around on the network in off-peak programming.
AndrewPSSP, DE88 and Si-Co gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Ok so here’s a controversial opinion. I didn’t think the Carlton stars idents were all that. I found them very corporate and soulless.

Newer posts