The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Emmanuel Macron is speaking to France from a green screen. Even more impressive is the Élysée has their own on-screen graphics!
AN
Andrew Founding member
I don’t think this is how you spell Police in French

BBI45 and London Lite gave kudos
BB
BBI45
I don’t think this is how you spell Police in French

Ich denke, dass das spanischen Wort ist.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Appears World Business Report is getting its slot back temporarily at 0530 on BBC One from 9th November

Nice, probably only difference would be name, there's business news at that time now
BR
Brekkie
Seems the BBC's ignorance towards social media leaves them pretty much the only UK news organisation not reporting on the English National Lockdown tonight - no mention on the news channel or website, though I guess it may have featured in The Papers as it's been leaked to two papers. Indeed surely the point of a paper review slot is for your own journalists to follow up a breaking story and verify it, but thanks to the new draconian rules even if the BBC's political editor gets confirmation she can probably not mention it now until she can appear on air, which is unlikely to be till the morning.
Last edited by Brekkie on 31 October 2020 1:02am
MA
Meridian AM
Seems the BBC's ignorance towards social media leaves them pretty much the only UK news organisation not reporting on the English National Lockdown tonight - no mention on the news channel or website, though I guess it may have featured in The Papers as it's been leaked to two papers. Indeed surely the point of a paper review slot is for your own journalists to follow up a breaking story and verify it, but check thanks to the new draconian rules even if the BBC's political editor gets confirmation she can probably not mention it now until she can appear on air, which is unlikely to be till the morning.

This is why I continue to stick with Sky News (and CNN for international news). Sky were all over it and the paper preview was good to listen to.
TM
TMD_24
Think the leak got to the PM a bit. Absolute chaos. Good luck to the BBC trying to facilitate it if the announcement clashes with Strictly.

UT
UTVLifer
Seems the BBC's ignorance towards social media leaves them pretty much the only UK news organisation not reporting on the English National Lockdown tonight - no mention on the news channel or website, though I guess it may have featured in The Papers as it's been leaked to two papers. Indeed surely the point of a paper review slot is for your own journalists to follow up a breaking story and verify it, but thanks to the new draconian rules even if the BBC's political editor gets confirmation she can probably not mention it now until she can appear on air, which is unlikely to be till the morning.

It was pretty ridiculous last night with BBC not saying a thing about the national lockdown even after all the other broadcasters have. Someone needs to take another look at this bizarre social media rules

How the BBC, ITV and Sky etc cover this week will be interesting with these new lockdown restrictions coming at the worst time for the broadcasters (of course it's needed for public health) for example ITV News has all 3 main News at Ten anchors in the states and it feels like the BBC is just sending everyone to cover the election which could drag on
MA
Markymark
On the other hand, I've been getting a bit fed up with all broadcasters reporting what newspapers have been 'reporting', even in the case of the more 'nut job' papers who often print speculation rather than leaked facts, that risk becoming self fulfilling prophecy.

I know the broadcasters always preface any such stories with '. ..The Daily Lobster is reporting this morning that...... .' but it still has the subliminal effect of people thinking that's what they've just said 'on the telly' so it must be true.
CM
cmthwtv
It's confusing and annoying that we tend to first hear about new restrictions not from central government, and rather through the papers. News organisations are then stuck on what to report leading to confusion amongst the general public.
TIGHazard and Meridian AM gave kudos
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Think the leak got to the PM a bit. Absolute chaos. Good luck to the BBC trying to facilitate it if the announcement clashes with Strictly.

4pm today ...
TM
TMD_24
Yup just seen. Still causes a problem for the BBC as it will clash with the end of Wales V Scotland. Guess that'll be rushed to BBC Two if needed.

Newer posts