TV Home Forum

Morning Live

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
JAS84 posted:
ybe they're waiting for Oneness to be disposed of? The ONE in the One Show logo is always the same as the BBC One logo. That's why it changed after the initial pilot run (the circles idents had launched in the meantime) and hasn't changed since.

Yes - The One Show logo is a version of the BBC One logo (the ONE in the title refers to the channel). The One Show also uses BBC One's channel typeface for most of its on-screen graphics.

The studio design changed significantly in 2014 when the studio moved from White City to New Broadcasting House - but the trademark green sofa and skeletal coffee table designs were retained (though physically replaced) The White City studio had a lot of fabric, wood and initially fake breeze-block elements, whereas the move to New Broadcasting House introduced the current light box and sliding perspex panel window treatments.

The current sofa design is a variant of the sofa introduced during the Summer 2008 studio refresh. When the show launched it had a very different set of sofas (one green corduroy, one blue velvet ISTR)

Here is the original London studio design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li-8UEYhZdo

It must be a big job to reset everything for the evening performance?

Less so than turning around a regular studio from one show to another, as The One Show elements remain in place behind the Morning Live set by the look of it.
DP
DPE123

The mosaic columns and wooden furniture elements very much nod to TV Centre reception (aka 'Stage Door' in the final years of BBC ownership)

All somewhat ironic... This Morning comes from TV Centre with a set designed to look like they're still on the South Bank, meanwhile Morning Live comes from NBH with a set design based on the old TVC? It's like they all wish they never had to move!
WH
Whataday Founding member
I could be wrong but the door looks similar to those in the older parts of Broadcasting House. I kind of get the feeling that the set has been based around the art deco feel of some parts of the building in the 30/40s, then added some plants and furniture.

Correct.

Cando and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
DJGM posted:
This screengrab of a wide shot of the studio from early into the first show, I notice that fake front door on the left, I'm not sure if that's supposed to look as if it's the front door of a house or the front door of a pub! This wide shot looks (to me at least) like they've converted a closed-down pub into a TV studio! It does make the studio look bigger that it really is though.

I'm not sure if it's been tweaked for the programme but there is genuinely a door to the outside there. Having stood outside the studio in the past for the One Show I've seen them use it during the programme for a feature that was happening on the plaza.

It's perhaps interesting to note from that screen capture you can see the 'one' letters in the window along with some of the coloured strips, both of which are partially hidden by the set when viewed straight on.
NG
noggin Founding member
Ratings for Tuesday :

BBC One
0600-0915 Breakfast 1.4m/39.2%
0915-1000 Morning Live 1.4m/26.3%
1000-1100 Homes Under The Hammer 1.2m/22.4%

ITV
0600-0900 GMB 0.7m/21.1%
0900-1000 Lorraine 1.1m/21.7%
1000-1230 This Morning 1.3m/23.9%
Alfie Mulcahy and bilky asko gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member

I'm not sure if it's been tweaked for the programme but there is genuinely a door to the outside there. Having stood outside the studio in the past for the One Show I've seen them use it during the programme for a feature that was happening on the plaza.

It's been dressed for the show - previously it was visually just a functional double fire-exit door with frosted glass.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Was just about to say there's normally a modern glass door there but it looks very convincing (and a good copy of the old reception and Radio Theatre doors) so thanks Noggin for explaining. Definitely an attempt in the set to integrate with Broadcasting House, which explains the other mid-century influences in the set, and can also see what others have said about the TVC tiles and White City House.
Last edited by Blake Connolly on 28 October 2020 11:49am
NG
noggin Founding member
Should add that Morning Live is very close in ratings terms to Rip Off Britain Live that was broadcast the previous week (from the same studio). I think BBC Breakfast leading into a live consumer/current affairs/light factual show works well for the channel.
JO
Johnr
I’ve realised by watching a lot of BBC daytime why it’s so successful, and it’s one sentence

‘Find out later what happened!’

Doesn’t quite work on Nick Knowles 999 ripoff ‘Close Call’ when the subject contributes as a talking head to the piece throughout mind!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Johnr posted:
I’ve realised by watching a lot of BBC daytime why it’s so successful, and it’s one sentence

‘Find out later what happened!’

Doesn’t quite work on Nick Knowles 999 ripoff ‘Close Call’ when the subject contributes as a talking head to the piece throughout mind!

Also doesn't work if the subject ended up in a situation they could have died from, especially if they've been setting their own scene beforehand, so its obvious they're not dead, or if they are its a doppelgänger.
PA
Parker
I have a bit of time to watch daytime tv at the moment and I do like this show. The presenters have great chemistry and it comes across on screen. The set reminds me of the original Liverpool This Morning Studio with similar clutter Very Happy It is nice to see the window used for its proper purpose. The One Show has that much clobber in front the window it could be broadcast from anywhere.
I agree with DPE 33. its ironic the BBC are providing quality production studios at TVC pretending to be the same thing for ITV.
SW2, DJ Dave and DeMarkay gave kudos
NI
nigel
I’ve watched the show since Monday and have to say, I’m enjoying it very much.
Yes, it has echoes of the early “This Morning” set wise and I would say content wise (before TM went tabloid).
Both presenters and experts have a great rapport and it’s a very enjoyable and informative 45 minutes.
I really hope after the eight week run, the Beeb make this a permanent feature and extend it to at least an hour thirty each day.

Newer posts