The Newsroom

More Scandals & Sexual Harrasment at FOXNEWS

Ed Henry, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Howard Kurtz all accused in latest court filings

MO
Mouseboy33
But Fox crazy train is on a track by itself.
I'm here to give you something to talk about! You're Welcome.
https://youtu.be/1g18oiI2WIU
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight
Nobody is denying that Fox is completely off their rocker when it comes to propagandising Trump, but I still believe that MSNBC still has their part to play in sugar coating the Democrats.

MSNBC sugar-coating the Democrats??? Are you sure you're watching MSNBC, cos that doesn't sound like MSNBC. Over the years, MSNBC has actually attacked the Democrats when they've done something worth being attacked for. Individual Democrats have also been in the firing line when they've been in the wrong. The difference is that Fox News just attacks the Democrats with poorly written propaganda that has little to no basis in reality most of the time. MSNBC have attacked politicians of both parties, when they've been in the wrong, it's just that Republicans are far more in the wrong, than the Democrats are. But MSNBC doesn't sugar coat what either side does.

Quote:
The point still stands that Fox and MSNBC are still the worst for each party while with the exception of HLN, the cable 'news' channels are far from impartial and have taken sides with either Trump or the Dems, which makes America particularly bad for impartial tv news sources, so you end up with a polarised audience who isn't getting accurate information, instead relying on Fox or MSNBC for biased news depending on where you stand.

Except that cable news is the least watched of all the television news output. More people watch the PBS Newshour every day, than watch most hours of cable news. The three main network news bulletins are watched by over 21 million people each week. Cable news can't even dream of such figures. When it comes to TV news, cable news is much lower down the totem pole than you think.
LL
London Lite Founding member London London
Once again I think both cityprod and mouseboy are both missing the overall point I'm attempting to make here.

America has a big issue when it comes to how news is delivered. Those cable networks aren't 'news' channels, they're infotainment bubble networks who's principal aim is to keep those audiences polarised of which FNC and MSNBC are the prime two that are polar opposites editorially. Both have commentators who can't stand anything to do with the other, while the 'news' content is produced with bias.

You then move to the more mainstream network bulletins which are impartial, but are insular by UK standards, where news only happens inside the US border or where international stories are put in the running order that affect American interests.

The local bulletins are as close as it gets to true impartiality, non-biased reporting recently of the Trump/Biden events in their local areas, alongside actual local news and events, while some international stories make it into the in-brief segments.

The fact some people on here defend MSNBC just shows their own political bias instead of watching the content from an impartial point of view, of which I've done when watching US newscasts from an outside perspective.

I say this as someone who would be happy to see Trump go, but I don't want to see Biden get an easy ride either by media outlets.
Last edited by London Lite on 29 October 2020 12:45am
LondonViewer and TheSebastian gave kudos
SE
seamus
I agree with a great deal of what you said, but I'd like to point out that local bulletins are NOT necessarily impartial.

The largest affiliate group, Sinclair, regularly airs must-run right wing opinion segments and anti-vaccine content. Here's a pretty chilling example of how this plays out:

LL
I agree with a great deal of what you said, but I'd like to point out that local bulletins are NOT necessarily impartial.

The largest affiliate group, Sinclair, regularly airs must-run right wing opinion segments and anti-vaccine content. Here's a pretty chilling example of how this plays out:

I've been fortunate that I haven't watched a Sinclair station newscast as when I've flicked across them, I've found the on-screen graphics to be cheap and tacky, a bit like the Fox-lite propaganda demonstrated above.

I've watched bulletins on Nexstar, Scripps and Tegna owned stations mainly which are nothing like this.
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight
Once again I think both cityprod and mouseboy are both missing the overall point I'm attempting to make here.

Well, you need to explain it better, because you have made so many errors on a factual level, that it's undermined any point you've been trying to make. Saying MSNBC and FOX are two sides of the same coin is a factual error. It's not a difference of opinion, it's factually wrong.
Quote:

America has a big issue when it comes to how news is delivered. Those cable networks aren't 'news' channels, they're infotainment bubble networks who's principal aim is to keep those audiences polarised of which FNC and MSNBC are the prime two that are polar opposites editorially. Both have commentators who can't stand anything to do with the other, while the 'news' content is produced with bias.

Again, you are making a factual error here. Yes, your broad point, that America has an issue with how news is delivered, has some merit, and is pretty close to the truth, but you undercut that, by claiming that MSNBC is the polar opposite to FOX. That's because there is no exact polar opposite to FOX, unless you count The Choice, but not knowing a way of seeing that channel, I can't comment on it, but amongst the news outlets I have seen, there isn't a polar opposite to FOX, at least not one that can claim any significant audience.

Now, it would be fair to say that both MSNBC and CNN have both become more like FOX, but the difference in degrees is huge. I don't know how many times I can say this, before you'll understand it, but FOX News routinely lies, on a minute by minute basis. FOX News has made more stuff up in a single week, than MSNBC has ever done. Sure, MSNBC commentators and interviewees have sometimes blown stuff up out of proportion, but never to the amount or scale or frequency that FOX News has done that, and worse.

And then your point that the news content is produced with bias. No news organisation of any kind produces a truly unbiased newscast. Every newscast has some level or degree of bias, even if it's just a case of prioritising local stories over national or international ones. That's still a bias. Back in the 1970s, BBC News had an Industrial Relations Correspondent. There is no Industrial Relations Correspondent currently in BBC News. That's a bias against those kinds of stories. To say news content is produced with bias, is like saying that rain is wet and the Pope is a Catholic.

Quote:
You then move to the more mainstream network bulletins which are impartial, but are insular by UK standards, where news only happens inside the US border or where international stories are put in the running order that affect American interests.

Yes, US network bulletins are insular. But so is just about every major national news bulletin across the world, to a greater or lesser degree. I would definitely say that US network news is perhaps one of the most insular, but it has slowly been evolving away from that, granted, it has all the pace of glacial drift, but there has been some slight movement. But again, the network news bulletins are not completely impartial. I would say that CBS News and the PBS Newshour are the closest to true impartiality you will ever find. But ABC News has long had a very slight bias to the right of centre, and NBC News has long had a very slight bias to the left of centre. Neither of these are particuarly pronounced, certainly not when compared to the likes of FOX News, but they are there, just enough to twitch the needle one way or the other.

Quote:
The local bulletins are as close as it gets to true impartiality, non-biased reporting recently of the Trump/Biden events in their local areas, alongside actual local news and events, while some international stories make it into the in-brief segments.

Oh dear. Apparently the whole Sinclair situation didn't register with you. Sinclair Broadcast Group own nearly 200 local TV stations in about 100 local TV Markets. They have long been known for favouring a Conservative viewpoint in their news coverage, and including must-run segments and programmes that have a strong Conservative bias. Even as far back as 1996. Whilst most local news is far closer to unbiased, Fox affiliates and Sinclair owned stations, are two examples of a Conservative bias infecting local news. You have to be careful who you trust when it comes to local news.

Quote:
The fact some people on here defend MSNBC just shows their own political bias instead of watching these content from an impartial point of view, of which I've done when watching US newscasts from an outside perspective.

Well considering that according to various political sites, I am a centrist, I don't think it says much about my biases at all. I think it says more about your lack of understanding the news market in the USA.

Quote:
I say this as someone who would be happy to see Trump go, but I don't want to see Biden get an easy ride either by media outlets.

Well considering Obama didn't get an easy ride from MSNBC, I don't think you have much to fear on that score.
LL
Fox affiliates and Sinclair owned stations, are two examples of a Conservative bias infecting local news. You have to be careful who you trust when it comes to local news.

When did you last watch a Fox owned affiliate? They're NOTHING like Fox News. There's zero Conservative bias in their reporting of the election. It's like watching NBC News over MSNBC.

Fox owned affiliates tend to want to compete on a equal level editorially with the other non-biased stations in their local markets, rather than be a satellite feed of propaganda like FNC.

There's your factual error for someone who claims to watch a shed load of US media in deepest Cornwall.
SE
TheSebastian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHfgU8oMSo

If you think that YouTube video is "chilling" with all the different stations airing the same but localised copy, I would hate for you to see the ITV regional news shared content or listen to a BBC local radio breakfast/drive shows shared political copy. You'd be frozen.

The Sinclair stuff is bland right-ish stories becouse they think it's a market gap to appeal to their audience. As for the vaxx stuff, it's consumer champion type news that used to be uncontroversial.

If a UK broadcaster ran a story that the last 'rushed' vax for a Corona ended up causing serious disability in around 1 in 44,000 recipients and the senior guy at the big Pharma company is now a senior government advisor now pushing for another fast tracked corona jab would that make them a right wing conspiracy peddler?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/10/boy-wins-120000-damages-narcolepsy-swine-flu-vaccine-glaxosmithkline

But you won't see that on Sky News et Al as part of context for why many scientists are cautious over safety protocols.

It's a good rule of thumb that's its worth checking your own bias before seeing it everywhere else.
LL
The Sinclair stuff is bland right-ish stories becouse they think it's a market gap to appeal to their audience. As for the vaxx stuff, it's consumer champion type news that used to be uncontroversial.

Considering the U.S. is built on capitalism at its core, it's no surprise these right-wing 'news' networks and bulletins have a demographic that attracts money. American media has been built with a right-wing bias for years, talk radio in the States has for decades provided a biased viewpoint as the advertising revenue and listeners are ready-made for it.

But what it doesn't have unlike the UK is proper regulation that ensures proper media plurality as I suspect it'd be against the grain where American businesses can make revenue easily unlike the supposed light-touch regulation we have in the UK which ensures the BBC and other broadcasters have to follow regulations such as the reporting of vaccines mentioned above.

There are of course competition laws which stop one group owning more than another, so you see station swap sales, but this is the country where a radio station can change format overnight with no issue to reflect a market change and a tv station can have an editorial agenda with obvious bias.
SE
TheSebastian
I'd add to my last post, imagine the huge fuss when GB NewsTalk "the uks fox news" runs that vax story on 'the Nigel Farage Show' one night in Feb.

Then we can all see that it's not the topic, the facts or the accuracy of the news. It's who's telling it that counts these days.
LV
LondonViewer London London

Quote:
The point still stands that Fox and MSNBC are still the worst for each party while with the exception of HLN, the cable 'news' channels are far from impartial and have taken sides with either Trump or the Dems, which makes America particularly bad for impartial tv news sources, so you end up with a polarised audience who isn't getting accurate information, instead relying on Fox or MSNBC for biased news depending on where you stand.

Except that cable news is the least watched of all the television news output. More people watch the PBS Newshour every day, than watch most hours of cable news. The three main network news bulletins are watched by over 21 million people each week. Cable news can't even dream of such figures. When it comes to TV news, cable news is much lower down the totem pole than you think.

Agree that network numbers often get overlooked in all the chat around these channels, but
PBS Newshour only does around 1m. Cable news does much more. The “news” channels are now outrating general ents & sports channels in overall cable rankings. Increasingly, cable networks are doing better than network during simulcasted events. It will be interesting to see how the election does in the ratings.
Cando, TheSebastian and Ghost gave kudos
CA
Cando London London
Tucker Carlson averaged 5m an episode last month!
London Lite, bilky asko and LondonViewer gave kudos

Newer posts