TV Home Forum

ITV stations that lost their franchise

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Was it not the case that TV-am benefited from The Big Breakfast's early success because they sold the advertising for it?

Though that wouldn't have been the case if TV-am had continued into 1993.
JA
(maybe kept the analogue clock still, just to be different) but we'll never know so...

The analogue clock wouldn't have been that different, seeing as BBC Breakfast News were still using one into the mid-90s. Even after the 1993 corporate revamp. I think it was only after the 1997 revamp they went digital.
IN
Interceptor
Was it not the case that TV-am benefited from The Big Breakfast's early success because they sold the advertising for it?

But in the circumstances - it was kind of a win/win for TV-am - enable a competitor which would become a serious challenge to the successor, and take all the revenue during that period when it'd otherwise be competing.
JA

But in the circumstances - it was kind of a win/win for TV-am - enable a competitor which would become a serious challenge to the successor, and take all the revenue during that period when it'd otherwise be competing.

I can't help but think that was a plus of the early days of Channel 4 really, everyone won if a show was popular. The ITV companies got the ad revenue, and Channel 4 got guaranteed money regardless.
DE88 and AlfieMulcahy gave kudos
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
We've discussed this many times, but Thames was in an unfortunate position in that it had owners who didn't really want it. Thorn-EMI would have been happy to sell their stake to Carlton in 1985. As a result of this apathy, it was always going to be in a vulnerable position and would have likely been swallowed up post 1993 (probably by Granada).
It couldn't have been taken over by Granada, as they had LWT already.
GL
Gluben Anglia (East) Look East
I do recall reading Thames got a bit snotty when it came to promos for Carlton's programming, and Carlton were ultimately forced in the short term to do a lot of it on LWT.

Though when you look at some of the stuff Carlton came out with in the early days, you can almost understand it...

With Carlton's original idents, I sometimes wonder if, had they won the Midlands franchise as well, they would've just used the same people and names, but changed the place names. It's not like people could easily do a double-take with this sort of thing in 1993...
NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
I do recall reading Thames got a bit snotty when it came to promos for Carlton's programming, and Carlton were ultimately forced in the short term to do a lot of it on LWT.

Though when you look at some of the stuff Carlton came out with in the early days, you can almost understand it...

With Carlton's original idents, I sometimes wonder if, had they won the Midlands franchise as well, they would've just used the same people and names, but changed the place names. It's not like people could easily do a double-take with this sort of thing in 1993...

The idents and logo were made by Lambie Nairn, as Carlton’s logo didn’t mean anything nor stuck out. So their logo was solely designed after they won the London weekday licence, the idents followed. There’s a good blog about this on TV Ark’s page for Carlton’s idents between 93 and 95. I remember there was an interview with Brian Ely of LN somewhere online, which sets out the background regarding the creation of that package.

Whilst they never made a bid against Central (they owned 20% by this point anyway), they did bid against Anglia and TVS, it would have been interesting to see how they would have adapted their presentation style if they had won either of these franchises.
steve
steviegTVreturns
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member London London

Purely anecdotal, but I do remember only ever seeing this Carlton promo late at night on Thames and not in peak time.

DE88, jonO and Cold Open gave kudos
JA
Clearly Thames were happy enough to allow Ted Roach to appear in that trailer.
IS
Inspector Sands

They'd have had a different logo of course, that T was small for a reason
JF
JetixFann450 Central Reporting Scotland

They'd have had a different logo of course, that T was small for a reason

Obviously so that the logo could easily spell out "London" in break bumpers and the idents themselves

It's sort of why the Carlton logo is usually at the top left:
https://www.tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=118911
Do you even read these?
RT
Run_Telecine Meridian (South East) South East Today
No, the LNN News Betacart was brought brand new and was kitted out with digibeta decks of some flavour or another. I think it may have gone the other way and went to Vintners Park when it was replaced.

The Betacart used in GMTV was an ex- TLS one.Didn't the BetaCart from the news studio at Vinters Park end up there too !?

The LNN Betacart used standard Betacart analogue BetaSP decks but had a component A to D converter for each before a SDI channel output switcher.
When LNN adopted Sony Newsbase server playout the Betacart ended up at Meridian New Hythe in 2001

The TVS Betacart (1989-1990 vintage) was moved from Vinters Park to Meridian's New Hythe studios in 1994.

Newer posts