TV Home Forum

Frank Bough RIP

(October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
This shows Frank wasn’t totally out of favour in 1996. Appearing on Mike Neville’s last Look North in a link up from Pebble Mill in Birmingham. So was still doing work for the BBC even then.

IS
Inspector Sands
Wonder what he was there doing on that day? there's nothing in Genome for him around that time except Shooting Stars (which almost certainly wasn't made in Birmingham)

Of course he might have been in Birmingham doing work elsewhere and the was just the nearest BBC studio
SW
Steve Williams
The frustrating thing about Frank's fall from grace is that it was at a time when once you burned your bridges, that was it. Yet a decade later, Richard Bacon was allowed to return as a rehabilitated person and came back more successful as a 5 Live presenter.

Yes, although when Richard Bacon dies, despite his obvious successes elsewhere in his career, it will still be a case of "Blue Peter Drugs Man Dies" (much like Richard Whiteley saying that when he went it would be "Ferret Man Dies"). I don't think the Beeb obit was particularly disrepectful, it's a fact his career came to an abrupt end because of scandal and it would be ridiculous not to mention that. On Breakfast yesterday both Ron Neil and Nick Ross made a point of commending the show on its report, and every other media organisation has mentioned it prominently in their reports.

Will Wyatt talks about Bough's departure, because he was Head of Factual Programmes at the time and hence responsible for Holiday. The initial decision was that his position was untenable at the moment and so they'd drop him from the next series and then see how it went. Initially they discussed that through the presenter Bernard Falk, who Bough had suggested as an intermediary, and Wyatt says that during the discussions Falk was eager to point out that if it was decided to get rid of him, Falk was available to take over, Wyatt saying "Frank clearly chose his friends as well as he chose the parties he went to". Eventually Wyatt arranged a meeting with Bough and said he couldn't carry on for now, and though Bough disagreed "he was not fighting as vigorously as he could or I expected him to", and Wyatt got the impression Bough was pretty much resigned to it.
SP
Spencer
Wonder what he was there doing on that day? there's nothing in Genome for him around that time except Shooting Stars (which almost certainly wasn't made in Birmingham)

Really, he should be credited as 'Frank Boff' for that appearance.
IS
Inspector Sands

Really, he should be credited as 'Frank Boff' for that appearance.

Or Frank Bow as Vic pronounces it on one occasion.

Here's Nick Ross and Esther Rantzen talking about Frank on Breakfast yeaterday
NYTV, DE88 and Spencer gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Of course he might have been in Birmingham doing work elsewhere and the was just the nearest BBC studio

Possibly this? https://www.pebblemill.org/blog/eat-your-words-photos-by-lynda-kettle/

I can't immediately find a reference for which month Mike Neville left the BBC in.
Markymark and Inspector Sands gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross

Will Wyatt talks about Bough's departure, because he was Head of Factual Programmes at the time and hence responsible for Holiday. The initial decision was that his position was untenable at the moment and so they'd drop him from the next series and then see how it went. Initially they discussed that through the presenter Bernard Falk, who Bough had suggested as an intermediary, and Wyatt says that during the discussions Falk was eager to point out that if it was decided to get rid of him, Falk was available to take over, Wyatt saying "Frank clearly chose his friends as well as he chose the parties he went to".

Not quite a curious choice with Bernard 'has a great idea here for a programme' Falk as he was presenting Breakaway on Radio Four at the time. So Bough's thinking was if he had to take a self induced 'rest' from the series, it would be in good hands. He and Falk had worked on Nationwide of course.

Obviously, Bernard being parachuted into Holiday never happened, but Falk ended up fronting a television version of Breakaway for Channel 4 a year or so later.

Side point. The line about choosing friends and parties, was a brilliantly droll line by Wyatt.
OM
Omnipresent
In her autobiography, Fern Britton paints a pretty awful picture of Frank's behaviour behind the scenes on Breakfast Time, particularly towards women. I wonder if that might explain the muted response.

Selina Scott has written a feature for today's Sunday Times on what it was like to work with Frank, which also refers to Fern's experience. Frankly, she doesn't hold back that he was quite unpleasant to work with.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/selina-scott-on-frank-bough-a-tv-legend-but-frankly-a-nightmare-to-work-with-dtzf6fncv

Quote:
Things started to go wrong from the beginning. After accepting the BBC offer I was invited by Frank to meet him and his wife Nesta at his Thames-side home.

He collected me in his Ford saloon to have tea in his kitchen. The omens seemed good. We chatted amiably and all seemed to have gone well. Shortly afterwards he gave an interview to the Daily Mirror explaining his reason for inviting me over: “I wanted to see if I liked her.” He was making it clear to his BBC bosses that it had been an audition and that if he didn’t like me, he would have a strong say in my future at the BBC.

This approach was confirmed when Fern Britton, a young reporter from regional television, arrived on the show. She too was “auditioned” by Frank in a dark corner of a restaurant.
Night Thoughts, Castries and London Lite gave kudos
MA
Markymark
It's a little odd that no sign of a tribute programme has emerged yet (?)

It might be because such a show will inevitably have sports clips, which would require lots of advance paperwork to clear, I recall David Coleman's programme took a while to appear?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Possibly going to keep the Sports Department's tribute for the Sports Personality show, which he was associated with for a long time?
CA
Castries

Selina Scott has written a feature for today's Sunday Times on what it was like to work with Frank, which also refers to Fern's experience. Frankly, she doesn't hold back that he was quite unpleasant to work with.]

Indeed, she gives him a (justified) kicking - the whole piece is incredibly critical. Puts the official limited reaction to his death in context.
IS
Inspector Sands
It's a little odd that no sign of a tribute programme has emerged yet (?)

It might be because such a show will inevitably have sports clips, which would require lots of advance paperwork to clear, I recall David Coleman's programme took a while to appear?

I wouldn't expect there to be one really, he hadn't been on TV for about 25 years and was long out of the public consciousness.
Night Thoughts and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts