The Newsroom

Wales Today Central Square launch

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Watching tonight more for the news than the studio kind of highlighted how well the studio actually works.
GE
thegeek Founding member
A question about the reporting Scotland 2014 set. was the lunchtime bulletin of that day a green screen of the Clyde

It was a big telly, rather than a green screen.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Seems they're getting more creative using the space that overlooks the atrium. In tonight's Wales Today they ran a Q&A feature about Wales' firebreak lockdown:

Some of the fixtures and fittings came in useful as placeholders for animated graphics explaining the rules:
DT
DTV
They're definitely settling in OK and using the space better - but it just looks so grey.

I get that they're trying to do 'in the newsroom' bits like they do from NBH, but NBH doesn't share a colour scheme with a battleship. If you look at the newsroom it includes a lot of splashes of red. And for good reason - grey is very dull.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I don't think it looks too grey in the caps above. I actually quite like the black and grey with a few spots of colour.
JF
JF World News
About the new points west studio, there’s this studio in Bristol for interviews on the national news it’s gorgeous

I think they use Studio B which is a green screen
CM
cmthwtv
About the new points west studio, there’s this studio in Bristol for interviews on the national news it’s gorgeous

"About the new points west studio" Am I missing out on something here?
JF
JF World News
About the new points west studio, there’s this studio in Bristol for interviews on the national news it’s

No Studio A is still the same but not many people know about Studio B, which is a small green screen studio.
ST
South Today
About the new points west studio, there’s this studio in Bristol for interviews on the national news it’s

No Studio A is still the same but not many people know about Studio B, which is a small green screen studio.

Yet Ian has to present from on top of the roof every evening?!
CO
Cold Open

Yet Ian has to present from on top of the roof every evening?!

I hardly think it's a case of "has to" (as if there's literally no alternative), but an artistic choice. There can't be many regions that even have an attractive outdoor presentation point proximate to the studio, such as BBC Bristol's rooftop garden and balcony area. Sensible for them to make the most of it, with some form of regular use.

The pre-recorded forecasts shown during Points West's late night and Breakfast bulletins are done in the main studio set nowadays (with the forecaster still shown in a shrunk-down inset box, rather than directly stood in front of the map itself, with a bit of the main set's faux newsroom behind them), so it's only the lunchtime & main evening forecasts that are done from the rooftop.

PW only has forecasts done in the traditional chromakey way, with the forecaster actually stood in front of the map, on those occasions that they resort to e.g. the Plymouth weather hub (or any other region stepping-in to cover West due to absence etc).
BR
Brekkie
BBC Wales Live returns next week so will be interesting to see if they continue to use their own set or now move into the main news studio.
BA
Ballyboy
A new look would also be nice

Newer posts