Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I wonder if that would have been a Newsround newsflash (or more likely left for 10 minutes until Newsround was scheduled to be on air) had it not been the 28th December and the programme wasn't on air?
DV
DVB Cornwall
I wonder if that would have been a Newsround newsflash (or more likely left for 10 minutes until Newsround was scheduled to be on air) had it not been the 28th December and the programme wasn't on air?

Almost certainly given the immediacy (the incident was less than a week before), emotion and consternation over Lockerbie the Newsflash would have been handled by BBC News rather than Newsround regardless as to whether Newsround was coming up in a few minutes. That's my hunch.
Si-Co, Richard and DE88 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I have to defer to Roger Finn on this one, reflecting on the coverage of the Challenger disaster

Quote:
"The news broke about fifteen minutes before we were on air, and an important principle was established: if a major news story broke during Children's programmes then Newsround would break it.

"On this occasion I remember Julia Somerville coming into the studio and some sort of 'conversation' going on between Children's and News. Children's won and we did the newsflash."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/static/find_out/guides/30_anniversary/1986.stm

Arguably the emotion you refer to is exactly why Newsround should handle it, if the newsflash is inserted around children's programmes?
IS
Inspector Sands
Challenger was different in that space and the shuttle in particular was an area that Newsround covered extensively and its audience were really into. I know I was.

Only seems fair that a story like that should be told by a children's presenter
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 27 October 2020 8:19am
BU
buster
I guess we'll never know the answer to that one, but in 2000 when Concorde crashed, the Newsround slot was taken by Michael Buerk in the BBC News studio. I remember switching on during the bulletin and doing a double take that it was on air at 1705. This is the day that they decided to go to News 24 at 1735, the first time it had been done outside of overnight/Weekend 24.
RD
RDJ
A 1991 edition of Spotlight, with a rather interesting ‘BBC1 South & West’ globe. And they’re using the wrong BBC logo on the end caption too.

Philheybrookbay, DE88 and jonO gave kudos
AS
Asa Admin
This is the day that they decided to go to News 24 at 1735, the first time it had been done outside of overnight/Weekend 24.

That's prompted me to upload a video of it that I've been meaning too. It's around the last 10 minutes before BBC One goes to the Six with Huw as normal.

SW
Steve Williams

Anna Home's book about running CBBC in the nineties says that the convention was that breaking news during children's time should be handled by Newsround if it was appropriate, otherwise the newsflash should be on BBC2. The other point I suppose is that there were unlikely to be many adults sitting through CBBC on the off-chance.

There were examples at the time of newsflashes during Saturday morning programmes, the famous one is the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster when not only did Saturday SuperStore start an hour late but there were also a few news updates during the programme, and I remember in the first weekend of the Gulf War they interrupted Going Live for news at ten o'clock. Although there would be a much wider audience around on a Saturday morning, and BBC2 would be doing the OU or not be on air at all. They would often touch on the news as well, you may have seen the Swap Shop that Sir Neil Miles recently uploaded to YouTube where they take some footage of the State Funeral of Anwar Sadat.

The one I always remember is when John Major resigned in 1995, it broke on Newsround and I remember them very gingerly reading it off a bit of paper, and then a minute or so later it got faded out for a proper newsflash.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
The one I always remember is when John Major resigned in 1995, it broke on Newsround and I remember them very gingerly reading it off a bit of paper, and then a minute or so later it got faded out for a proper newsflash.

That's the one I remember as well, would love to see it again to see if it's as I remember it. Easy to understand why now, but at the time I was a bit miffed that it wasn't acknowledged that Newsround got there first.
BU
buster

That's the one I remember as well, would love to see it again to see if it's as I remember it. Easy to understand why now, but at the time I was a bit miffed that it wasn't acknowledged that Newsround got there first.

Yes and then I seem to remember staying on the rolling news coverage for ages and ages. I think it was a repeat of The Machine Gunners that got canned?

Princess Margaret's death was another announced during CBBC - Wild Thornberries faded out on a Saturday morning to join News 24 (which was already on BBC Two). BBC Two eventually left to start The Saturday Show late, which eventually switched back to BBC One as intended.
JA
JAS84
You're misremembering. He was Prime Minister until 1997.
NW
nwtv2003
JAS84 posted:
You're misremembering. He was Prime Minister until 1997.

You may want to read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Conservative_Party_leadership_election?wprov=sfti1

Newer posts