TV Home Forum

Frank Bough RIP

(October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
commseng
As a kid in the 1970s, Frank was on so many live BBC programmes, and was always calm and the programmes he presented ran well and with an air of authority.
Knowing how some of the technology then wasn't the most reliable compared to these days, you have to marvel at how easy he made it all appear.
With Nationwide and Breakfast Time (and his reports on the Holiday programme with Nesta) you also got to see that he wasn't just the solid anchor man, but also had a sense of fun too. The Uncle Frank to Auntie BBC.

That he wasn't on the screens so much in the latter part of his life is a shame.
RIP Frank
WH
Whataday Founding member
Quite a muted official response from the BBC, particularly given the role he played in establishing breakfast TV in the UK. It does seem that after he was sacked, the corporation tried to largely erase him from history.

In her autobiography, Fern Britton paints a pretty awful picture of Frank's behaviour behind the scenes on Breakfast Time, particularly towards women. I wonder if that might explain the muted response.

Given he left the BBC over 30 years ago, I can’t imagine many people currently at BBC News would have ever worked with him to have formed a negative opinion of him.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't be aware of stories. Perhaps they are extra cautious these days, all considering.
CO
commseng
I find it disappointing that most of the discussion on here is about the tabloid scandal and tittle tattle from someone who had a book to sell.
I think his long and distinguished presenting career is worth more than this obsession with what could have happened, although there was absolutely nothing to suggest that there ever was.
I will take that back if anyone on here has first hand experience of him being anything other than professional.
Markymark, bluecortina and tightrope78 gave kudos
AS
AlexS
RDJ posted:
Anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable with the focus the obituary on tonight’s Ten gave to Frank Bough’s scandal? I know it happened, and to have not mentioned it at all would have been wrong, but I’m not quite sure they got the tone and emphasis right in the circumstances. It just felt a bit mean-spirited to me.

I agree.
I wouldn’t say it was the focus of the majority of the report... they did cover in depth the broad path of his whole career with plenty of good archive clips which was very good going for it to be compiled in the matter of an hour or two.
But yeah.... they didn’t need to focus at the end on how his career turned south due to the tabloid stories and to be as blunt to say that was that. A brief mention was all that was needed.

But it wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, have been complied in an hour or 2 after the death was announced. A man in their late 80s whose death was always going to get a mention on the major bulletins (or at least breakfast) is the prime candidate for a preprepared obituary kept in the archive until it is needed.
james-2001 and BBI45 gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
AlexS posted:
RDJ posted:
Anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable with the focus the obituary on tonight’s Ten gave to Frank Bough’s scandal? I know it happened, and to have not mentioned it at all would have been wrong, but I’m not quite sure they got the tone and emphasis right in the circumstances. It just felt a bit mean-spirited to me.

I agree.
I wouldn’t say it was the focus of the majority of the report... they did cover in depth the broad path of his whole career with plenty of good archive clips which was very good going for it to be compiled in the matter of an hour or two.
But yeah.... they didn’t need to focus at the end on how his career turned south due to the tabloid stories and to be as blunt to say that was that. A brief mention was all that was needed.

But it wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, have been complied in an hour or 2 after the death was announced. A man in their late 80s whose death was always going to get a mention on the major bulletins (or at least breakfast) is the prime candidate for a preprepared obituary kept in the archive until it is needed.

Didn’t see the TV version, but the radio obit was voiced by Nick Higham....who left ages ago. So yes it would have been prepared long in advance. The BBC have them for most public figures. I knew someone who did work experience with that department in 2000 and they were preparing one for Caroline Aherne (based on her being a bit of a hell-raiser at the time). I’m sure it formed the basis for the eventual one which sadly went out sixteen years later.
TI
tightrope78
I find it disappointing that most of the discussion on here is about the tabloid scandal and tittle tattle from someone who had a book to sell.
I think his long and distinguished presenting career is worth more than this obsession with what could have happened, although there was absolutely nothing to suggest that there ever was.
I will take that back if anyone on here has first hand experience of him being anything other than professional.

Especially as the person in question with the book to sell has a reputation for being difficult causing trouble it seems.
Last edited by tightrope78 on 26 October 2020 12:56pm - 2 times in total
LL
London Lite Founding member
The frustrating thing about Frank's fall from grace is that it was at a time when once you burned your bridges, that was it. Yet a decade later, Richard Bacon was allowed to return as a rehabilitated person and came back more successful as a 5 Live presenter.

If only Frank had that opportunity as it was a complete waste of talent.
HC
Hatton Cross
The frustrating thing about Frank's fall from grace is that it was at a time when once you burned your bridges, that was it. Yet a decade later, Richard Bacon was allowed to return as a rehabilitated person and came back more successful as a 5 Live presenter.

Err. Hang on. Those stories about him sniffing the white Columbian nose powder didn't end his career though.

He still picked up regular work from Sky News, LWT and LBC Newstalk for a few years afterwards.

Not what I'd call a career stopper.
LL
London Lite Founding member

Err. Hang on. Those stories about him sniffing the white Columbian nose powder didn't end his career though.

He still picked up regular work from Sky News, LWT and LBC Newstalk for a few years afterwards.

All low profile. Regional television and radio, along with a little watched news channel is nothing in comparison to the millions who watched him on Breakfast Time, Grandstand and Nationwide.
IS
Inspector Sands

There were two sets of stories a few years apart, the first in 1988 (prostitutes and drugs) and the second in 1992 (S&M)

The first ended his BBC career, the second was after 6 o Clock Live and Sky, but he was working as a presenter of ITVs Rugby coverage and possibly at LBC. He stayed at LBC and its successor until 1996.

The two weren't career ending but were certainly career limiting, although of course he was 63 then and we don't know whether he'd have retired or but back his work around that time anyway,
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member

If only Frank had that opportunity as it was a complete waste of talent.

Depends what the scandal is

Certain scandals will get you sacked but would also gain you kudos or notoriety in some circles, such as Bacon taking drugs whilst working in kids TV.

There are many things today that can cause people to lose their career, mostly involving saying the wrong thing on social media
WH
Whataday Founding member
It could also be argued that Frank's style of presenting was out of fashion by the 90s, which would have reduced his career options.

Newer posts