The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

With added Impeachment 2.0 (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
mark Founding member
Finally NBC...

NBC's sets have probably been the least consistent of the networks. Sometimes just a repurposed Nightly News or NBC Sports studio, sometimes something specially- constructed on Rockefeller Plaza - and, last time, a temporary set in the corner of the newsroom.

Their coverage is always really good, though. They're my go-to network on election nights nowadays.
DK
DanielK
I LOVED that 2012 theme and the various remixes and cuts used up until recently.

Shame that the package hasn't made its way out yet as it would be lovely to listen to in high quality.
TI
TIGHazard
Do we think Parliament will simulcast CSPAN's coverage again like they did in 2016.

Not currently scheduled but then again neither were the Presidential debates on the news channel originally.
MA
mark Founding member
The good thing nowadays is that, with smart TVs/Chromecast etc, availability of coverage on UK channels has almost become a moot point.

At a bare minimum, I'd expect NBC's coverage to be streaming on YouTube and CBS's to be on CBSN, which is streamable on your TV in a few different ways.

ABC is a bit harder to predict. ABC News Now streams on YouTube but, for past election nights, they've done separate online-only coverage. However, for Super Tuesday and the 2018 mid-terms, they simulcast the network coverage. In 2016, the network coverage was available via the ABC News website, but whether you could stream that on a smart TV depended on how good your browser was.

I'd hope that, as ABC News Now is trying to be more like a proper news channel, they'll take the network election night coverage this year like they do with other network news specials.
Last edited by mark on 25 October 2020 3:35pm
UN
Universal_r
Julie etchingham is now in the us, I assume it will still be Tom that’s the main anchor from the us and Julie will be with one of the candidates campaigns?

BR
Brekkie
I wouldn't have thought they'd want to remove both Tom and Julie from News at Ten for a long period.
TI
tightrope78
For the coverage of Super Tuesday earlier this year you were able to access all three main networks on YouTube easily enough.
MO
Mouseboy33
Again PBS gets left out of the conversation. They offer the best coverage without all the flash and dash. Headed by Judy Woodruff and previously by the amazing and dearly departed Gwen Ifill (Recently a postage stamp was issued in her honour - https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/gwen-ifill-S_475804
PBS 2014 Election Coverage

PBS 2016 Election Coverage

PBS 2018 Election Coverage

Also dont forget PBS incomparable cerebral calm coverage from the team from PBS Newshour headed by the brilliant and experienced Judy Woodruff. This coverage will likely be streamed as in the past live on PBS Newshour Youtube page.
https://www.pbs.org/election-2020/
Also including the best news documentary team Frontline

Watch the full documentary here. https://youtu.be/7Icu6qupf40
BBI45 and JosiahStuart gave kudos
CA
cat
And ironically PBS was the first network to project Trump as winner in 2016, about 15 minutes ahead of the next closest (Fox). So none of the drama but actually quicker to get to the result. They rely on AP calls and don’t make their own projections. Same for Bloomberg.

Looks like CBSN will do their own thing until 11pm ET, then handing over to the network.

Will be watching MSNBC on the night. CNN’s John King is better but they are excruciatingly slow/cautious about calling races. There’s caution for good reason, but in 2012 and 2016 they were routinely 20 mins behind the other networks, and if you’re also following the results online it makes for a confusing watch.

Fox and AP are also working together on a different set of exit polling from the rest of the networks, so that could be worth keeping an eye on.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
For overnight radio coverage who would you rate the most:

- BBC Radio 4
- LBC
- LBC News

I'm not sure who's coverage to listen to. I'm leaning towards LBC News but would like to get your opinion.
LL
London Lite Founding member

- BBC Radio 4
- LBC
- LBC News

I'm not sure who's coverage to listen to. I'm leaning towards LBC News but would like to get your opinion.

It's likely that LBC News will be simulcasting the LBC output as they did for the December 2019 General Election.
JF
JF World News

- BBC Radio 4
- LBC
- LBC News

Also, BBC Radio 4 and 5 Live are simulcasting with world service until 6am
Last edited by JF World News on 26 October 2020 9:50am

Newer posts