TV Home Forum

Oneness on lockdown - new idents for BBC One

Split from BBC Oneness - idents and presentation (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Let's face it, the whole channel needs pulling right up to date and a proverbial kick up the bottom. The schedule is just mainly repeats in the daytimes and the evening and weekend schedules haven't had a decent refresh for ages with new original programming. This was the case even before the coronavirus pandemic struck. Kudos to the continuity announcers for at least trying to bring some life to the channel.

The tacky Powerpoint idents and Microsoft Paint promo end boards actually fit the channel quite well at the moment. The whole channel looks like it should belong in a museum. It could however be used as a case study of how not to brand a modern, vibrant TV channel in 2020.

On the other hand, yes BBC Two's schedule is full of the News channel on the weekday mornings, but the rest of the programming is very strong at the moment and idents and branding is consistent so it can be done whilst looking after the coffers.

As the flagship channel of the BBC, the fact its being left to wilt like a flower is pretty poor and those running it seem quite happy with the standard of presentation doesn't really instil much faith for the quality of any future rebrand (if it happens before 2050).
Last edited by Worzel on 24 October 2020 8:27pm - 4 times in total
FA
fanoftv
From looking around on YouTube over the years, I have admired branding efforts from BBC services around the world.

I feel that an Ident package similar to these from BBC Entertainment:

would be a brilliant way to change up the channel without relying on people or circles.
BR
Brekkie
Better than Oneness but don't think those are right for BBC1. BBC Earth actually seem to use a circle theme, but then stick a box logo at the end, so questionable BBC branding not just limited to the UK.

I wouldn't be against them digging out the BBC HD idents and reworking those - I'm sure the diamond could be switched out for a circle effect.

Also talking internationally there quite old now but the Union Jack idents from BBC America seems far better than the Rhythm and Dancer idents we had at the time, but unlike those I don't think they've aged well at all.
SP
Spencer
From looking around on YouTube over the years, I have admired branding efforts from BBC services around the world.

I feel that an Ident package similar to these from BBC Entertainment:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zKgNNFlM5k
would be a brilliant way to change up the channel without relying on people or circles.

I’m happy to lend my garden sprinkler.
BR
Brekkie
BBC First probably has the nicest presentation (both idents and general presentation) - though Youtubing it just brings up loads of BBC Firsts, but a couple of idents in these videos which wouldn't really look out of place on BBC1.

MA
Meridian AM
I wouldn't be against them digging out the BBC HD idents and reworking those - I'm sure the diamond could be switched out for a circle effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1e1hk5xF9Q

They still use these idents on the BBC HD maritime channel that we get on the cruise ships I work on in 'normal times'.
They are certainly more creative and interesting than the current BBC One offerings, but I don't like the music on them.
AS
Asa Admin
Sleeping cats? There must be a wager going for how dull you can make an ident and get it broadcast. At least Roomba had an amusing element to it.

It's galling that they've got the likes of Dog Display, Helicopter, Hippos, Mission Control, Neon...literally sitting on the shelf and yet insist on airing this batch of Oneness. I don't get it - who looks at what is being shown and thinks 'yeah, this is as good as what we've had before?'.
Alfie Mulcahy, Ittr and denton gave kudos
UN
Universal_r
The difference between the itv creates idents and oneness is crazy. They could’ve at least had the cats doing something instead of just sleeping!
AN
Andrew Founding member
They’ve backed themselves into a corner with these idents

They are very ‘March/April/May lockdown’ with the zoom choirs and dance practice etc, but are now seemingly stuck with them

They hung on to the previous non socially distanced set far too long (despite many here dismissing the idea that they should be taken off) and now can’t go back to them as they’d receive a similar backlash
BR
Brekkie
Simple landscapes would have done the job even better. Not that they have anyone spare in the regional newsrooms nowadays but I'm sure if they sent one cameraman out in each region to film a sceninc view they'd come up with a collection far superior than anything Oneness has delivered.
WO
Worzel
Better than Oneness but don't think those are right for BBC1. BBC Earth actually seem to use a circle theme, but then stick a box logo at the end, so questionable BBC branding not just limited to the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noquN2ZcKPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1e1hk5xF9Q

Also talking internationally there quite old now but the Union Jack idents from BBC America seems far better than the Rhythm and Dancer idents we had at the time, but unlike those I don't think they've aged well at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_RlwzhCn2g

The BBC shouldn't just be rebodging stuff from years gone or bringing back the globe, dancers or figures spinning on a turntable for their flagship channels - it's pretty embarrassing. The fact that BBC Two's branding became such a mess the only way out of the impasse was to keep using the classic 1990s '2' idents well after the channel's 50th anniversary was beyond ridiculous.

As much as the original Lambie Nairn '2' idents were absolutely brilliant, they were an ident package of their time. The recently revamped BBC Two idents and promo endboards have really brought the channel back to life and whilst they're not groundbreaking, suit the channel very well and are flexible - so it shows with a bit of creativity and thought a rebrand can be done on a tight budget and rolled out properly.

It's not just BBC One though, BBC Four is also in a pretty dire state presentation wise and whilst the Reith revamp of BBC News has made some inroads in updating the feel of the channel, it also could do with a refresh of its globe idents and music.

Other than BBC Two, the BBC's look and feel of their whole family of channels is bit like a jumble sale.

A simple but effective solution for BBC One would be to take some video footage of the BBC 'one' blocks used on The One Show in different scenic locations across the UK.
Last edited by Worzel on 24 October 2020 10:57pm
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Asa posted:
Sleeping cats? There must be a wager going for how dull you can make an ident and get it broadcast.

It shows that just because a lot of people enjoy cats it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good on screen. James Corden could have told them that. Razz

Newer posts