The Newsroom

Harry Gration to leave Look North

Split from The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I was surprised that there wasn't a tribute from Peter in the package they played out (or Judith Stamper for that matter). There was a nice message from Christine Talbot passing on good wishes from all at Kirkstall Road.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I was worried they were going to run out of time at the end, I was just hoping he could hear the gallery counting down.

I wonder if Harry jumped at the chance to do the OB so he didn’t have time to dwell on it
SP
Spencer
I was surprised that there wasn't a tribute from Peter in the package they played out (or Judith Stamper for that matter). There was a nice message from Christine Talbot passing on good wishes from all at Kirkstall Road.

I was also surprised there was no appearance from Judith Stamper. I hope they didn’t decide that they couldn’t do ‘messages from former co-hosts’ due to the whole Christa issue.

Incidentally though, Clare Frisby paid tribute to Harry on the lunchtime bulletin today, using the ‘When Harry Met... Clare’ billboard ad, from the time of Harry’s return to LN, on the screen behind her.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I think it’s generally been forgotten that he hosted with Clare for a few years, on all the radio interviews he did today, they always mentioned Judith, Christa and then Amy. I think there is only Clare herself who seems to remember it!

To be fair in normal circumstances they would have had best wishes from all those old co-hosts, but what with the news agenda and the fact his leaving was fairly short notice, i bet they didn’t have time.
Last edited by Andrew on 21 October 2020 9:17pm
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Brilliant tribute. I remember starting uni, and not really knowing who he was, and instantly being told by local coursemates he was a "Yorkshire Legend". They were certainly right. I met him about a year after that, when he was presenting at the RTS Awards at York Racecourse and he was a lovely chap. Didn't get annoyed at all when I initially poured him the wrong drink.

Have to love how he still referred to "News 24" in that clip. I still do occasionally myself by mistake, so good to know I'm not the only one.
RD
RDJ
harshy and London Lite gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member
Here's the full farewell to Harry...

MA
Markymark

Have to love how he still referred to "News 24" in that clip. I still do occasionally myself by mistake, so good to know I'm not the only one.

You're not, I still mentally think of it as that too, as do many 'normal' folk out loud Cool
SO
Soupnzi
I’ve heard people refer to their 6pm ITV regional news as About Anglia, which hasn’t been on since New Kids on the Block were in the charts
MA
Markymark
I’ve heard people refer to their 6pm ITV regional news as About Anglia, which hasn’t been on since New Kids on the Block were in the charts

New Kids on the Block. Who on earth are they ? Very Happy

I will often refer to Radio 1 to my (much) younger colleagues, as 'The BBC Pop Service'
DE88, Soupnzi and Ballyboy gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM

Didn't 'About Angia' become the name of a 30 minute regional programme with Helen McDermott, shown before the 6pm 'Anglia News' bulletin in the late 90s?
BA
Ballyboy
There’s a online version called about anglia presented by Donovan Blake

Newer posts