The Newsroom

Harry Gration to leave Look North

Split from The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's quite common for people taking voluntary redundancy where I work to finish before their official last day because they have accrued annual leave to take. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same applied at the BBC, which may explain why Harry hasn't presented for a while.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, I don't think you get paid out for your remaining leave.... although of course it often the cost of covering those shifts is the same or more
HA
harshy Founding member
Shame to see him go but let’s wish him all the best he’s been a first class broadcaster who’s informed and entertained as Yorkshire folk for over 40 years.
TR
trevormon
Yes, I don't think you get paid out for your remaining leave.... although of course it often the cost of covering those shifts is the same or more

The BBC will pay out for any unused leave on departure, apart from long service leave which has to be taken or lost. Some long serving employees build up months worth of that, as it accrues at half a week per year after 10 years service - meaning they depart very quickly
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I wonder if we’ve actually seen Harry host his last bulletin. He hasn’t been on for two weeks, and might just be on on Wednesday as a guest.

Now I’ve said that he’ll appear on Monday as normal

Yep, he's presenting tonight! With a package of memories to come (and from the clips in the headlines it might not be the usual one they dig up for every anniversary)
AN
Andrew Founding member
So he didn’t present his own look back, which would have been a tad odd, Paul Hudson joined him on the sofa and presented that section
ST
South Today
So he didn’t present his own look back, which would have been a tad odd, Paul Hudson joined him on the sofa and presented that section

I wonder if Christa will appear on Wednesday. Fingers crossed!
AN
Andrew Founding member
They surprised him with an interview with Michael Parkinson tonight, and he got quite emotional

It’s a shame he’s leaving during the pandemic as as he mentioned they can’t have a party and he can’t even bring in gifts for the staff. Normally tomorrow’s show would have a studio full, but any guests will have to be down the line

JO
Johnr
Nice to see Parky still in such great shape! No doubt Dickie Bird will be popping up tomorrow!
AN
Andrew Founding member
Apparently Harry will be talking to Simon McCoy on the BBC News Channel this afternoon
WA
watchingtv

AN
Andrew Founding member
Just been listening to Harry on BBC Radio Leeds, it sounds like he's hosting the programme live from South Yorkshire now tonight, so the celebrations might be slightly compromised

Newer posts