The Newsroom

Sky News | October 2019 Onwards

New Westminster Studio and Kay Burley Launch - 1st Sept 2020

ME
mediamonkeyuk Granada North West Today
Sky News special programme coming from Millbank at 9pm. I think this will be the first time we (intentionally) see a different look in the screens... nice blue theme across the graphics, lightboxes and ribbons.

This really did look great on screen. The uniformity of the blue across each element was superb and a vast improvement on the usual mish mash. I actually think this would work for KB@B. Ditch the terrible grainy Westminster backdrop and use the screens for graphics like we saw tonight. It actually felt like Sky News rather than a BBC imitation. Fantastic to have the blue split screen in use on the lives and great to see Anna doing something different too. Overall 10/10.
Last edited by mediamonkeyuk on 19 October 2020 11:30pm
DW
DavidWhitfield Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Can only echo comments made by others.

Studio looked great and screens were used to great effect to show graphics/data/contributors. The blue colour scheme looked terrific and I was especially fond of the blue split screen.

I've attached some screen caps as a spoiler below so that people who may have missed this can take a look, and those who have already seen it do not have to scroll through a mile-long post.

Full video available here:

More content-based, I think Anna handled it all really well and I found the programme very engaging and informative.

Great to see something a bit different from Sky News. All very positive for me!
Guess who's big in the back time!
jordanhowell, mediamonkeyuk and Meridian AM gave kudos
ME
Can only echo comments made by others.

Studio looked great and screens were used to great effect to show graphics/data/contributors. The blue colour scheme looked terrific and I was especially fond of the blue split screen.

I've attached some screen caps as a spoiler below so that people who may have missed this can take a look, and those who have already seen it do not have to scroll through a mile-long post.

More content-based, I think Anna handled it all really well and I found the programme very engaging and informative.

Great to see something a bit different from Sky News. All very positive for me!

Such a nice refreshing change from the clinical white. All we need now are some nice new lower thirds to match. Have to say, the screens looked much clearer in that form too. Ordinarily, the resolution looks really poor with the Westminster backdrops appearing really soft and blurry. Last night the graphics looked really crisp and clear. Almost like completely different screens were in use. Please take note Sky. Everything just felt more premium. Creative lighting is the way to go and could also make a huge difference in the glass box.
WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
For those who missed it.

That is exactly the sort of presentation Sky should be doing. Anna Botting excellent as always.
Last edited by Worzel on 20 October 2020 2:00pm
watchingtv and mediamonkeyuk gave kudos
ME
I’ve noticed throughout the day today there’s been some new blue lighting installed in the corridor on the right hand side of the glass box. Seeing it in the wide shots tonight but was also very prominent on Sky News Today when Jayne was interviewing as you could see it behind her. Looked good. Not sure if anyone has any grabs they can post? (The interview was 13:40 this afternoon I think if YouTube still lets you scroll back that far but also on the jib shot just now into the break on Press Preview) Hopefully a sign of things to come with more creative lighting in use. Totally takes away the problem of dull beige walls in the background and instantly feels more modern.
WO
I’ve noticed throughout the day today there’s been some new blue lighting installed in the corridor on the right hand side of the glass box. Seeing it in the wide shots tonight but was also very prominent on Sky News Today when Jayne was interviewing as you could see it behind her. Looked good. Not sure if anyone has any grabs they can post? (The interview was 13:40 this afternoon I think if YouTube still lets you scroll back that far but also on the jib shot just now into the break on Press Preview) Hopefully a sign of things to come with more creative lighting in use. Totally takes away the problem of dull beige walls in the background and instantly feels more modern.

ME

Great, thanks Worzel. There was a really good shot of it just out the back of the headlines sequence at 11pm if you able to grab that? I’ve been trying to upload the pics myself but really struggling to make it work Confused

Edit - managed to get it working, grabs from earlier below Very Happy

Last edited by mediamonkeyuk on 21 October 2020 11:36pm
MA
Meridian AM Meridian (South) South Today

Great, thanks Worzel. There was a really good shot of it just out the back of the headlines sequence at 11pm if you able to grab that? I’ve been trying to upload the pics myself but really struggling to make it work Confused

Looks much better with that bit of extra colour. Not so clinical. Hope they keep it.
WO

Looks much better with that bit of extra colour. Not so clinical. Hope they keep it.

Just need them to start using the view overlooking Sky Central again now.
BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
Who knew that adding in a bit of blue would be all it needs for Sky News to get a bit of appreciation on TVF again? Same studios as last week but different reactions on here.
Though the direction of travel with general Sky branding seems to be white graphics so I wouldn’t raise your hopes too much.
VA
valley

Don’t hold your breath.
AJ
AJ London London

A very empty atrium with Covid 19 information banners and one way stickers on the floor won't be particularly nice, even if relevant to the news right now 😂

Newer posts