The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IM
ImMaxClaydon
Do you think we will ever see a day when MSNBC gets put on Sky, like when Fox News used to be on Sky years back. I hope in the future Sky and NBC can have a better partnership, maybe in the new year we may see something.
LH
lhx1985
Perhaps, but the NBC network has its own news operation whereas the Fox network pretty much doesn't.

If s story is sufficiently important for sky to dip in to MSNBC, it might already be simulcasting s simulcasting an NBC News special report.
MO
Mouseboy33
As read on a PRESENTATION forum: "but the content is excellent" "and "content is king"......

well duh.

No one is doubting their journalism or have a problem with that. But this is a presentation forum. IF presentation didnt matter, all news presenters would be sat in small room on a folding chair at a card table against a plain white wall facing a single locked down camera. With no music or opening graphics, with the presenter saying: "Here is the news"...
Bringing a bit of interest, imagination, flair, uniqueness and sparkle back to the channel, isnt wrong and it doesnt always mean, having presenters zipping around a massive studio and swooping gib cameras and flashing WSVN style graphics, or even for goodness sakes, standing up, as some seem to think Rolling Eyes . This quiet, hushed presentation WASNT a part of their DNA for DECADES. There are modern ways to do what they did with out copying your competition or being OTT.

And FranceInfo may not have the ability to cover breaking news, but goodness their format and presentation is far more interesting lively and engaging to watch. Imagine if SkyNews looked like this or a version of this. Bouncy, lively and engaging innovative and modern. Coupled with their ability to integrate breaking news?! Its a channel that could be watched for hours. Instead of boring newspaper reviews and their dreadful music bed repeated over and over and the non-existent TOTH.

Heck the new EuroNews seems more lively and engaging these days. Except for their awful graphics....of course.

I'm here to give you something to talk about! You're Welcome.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 16 October 2020 10:31pm - 2 times in total
LL
London Lite Founding member

And FranceInfo may not have the ability to cover breaking news, but goodness their format and presentation is far more interesting lively and engaging to watch. Imagine if SkyNews looked like this or a version of this. Bouncy, lively and engaging innovative and modern. Coupled with their ability to integrate breaking news?! Its a channel that could be watched for hours. Instead of boring newspaper reviews and their dreadful music bed repeated over and over and the non-existent TOTH.

While nobody here would disagree that Franceinfo's pres is one of the best in the business, the actual news content (you know what people actually tune in for) has been minimal at best until early September.

Weekends from 10am-11pm are still a struggle, there's a 30 min wheel consisting of a 15/20 min live bulletin at the top of the hour, followed by filler. (The x30 appears to be a recording from x00 past the hour. You can have the best presentation going, but if you don't have enough resources to provide a rolling news service, then viewers are going to tune to BFMTV and the other news channels, even if they're over-reliant on opinion around a table these days.
MO
Mouseboy33

While nobody here would disagree that Franceinfo's pres is one of the best in the business,

And for a PRESENTATION forum thats really all that needs to be said. Journalism can be discussed elsewhere.
JO
Jon

While nobody here would disagree that Franceinfo's pres is one of the best in the business,

And for a PRESENTATION forum thats really all that needs to be said. Journalism can be discussed elsewhere.

It’s a presentation and related forum. If it relates to the output and isn’t trivial, it’s relevant.
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Ridge back in Westminster this morning. Guess they can’t decide where her show should be coming from
SI
sigma421
Ridge back in Westminster this morning. Guess they can’t decide where her show should be coming from

Guess it was the only way of getting Gove in the studio
VA
valley
Sky News special programme coming from Millbank at 9pm. I think this will be the first time we (intentionally) see a different look in the screens... nice blue theme across the graphics, lightboxes and ribbons.

mediamonkeyuk and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
CW
CraigWills
Sky News special programme coming from Millbank at 9pm. I think this will be the first time we (intentionally) see a different look in the screens... nice blue theme across the graphics, lightboxes and ribbons.

This evenings Sky News Tonight coming from the Glass Box tonight as a result.
ME
mediamonkeyuk

This really did look great on screen. The uniformity of the blue across each element was superb and a vast improvement on the usual mish mash. I actually think this would work for KB@B. Ditch the terrible grainy Westminster backdrop and use the screens for graphics like we saw tonight. It actually felt like Sky News rather than a BBC imitation. Fantastic to have the blue split screen in use on the lives and great to see Anna doing something different too. Overall 10/10.
Last edited by mediamonkeyuk on 19 October 2020 11:30pm
DW
DavidWhitfield
Can only echo comments made by others.

Studio looked great and screens were used to great effect to show graphics/data/contributors. The blue colour scheme looked terrific and I was especially fond of the blue split screen.

I've attached some screen caps as a spoiler below so that people who may have missed this can take a look, and those who have already seen it do not have to scroll through a mile-long post.

Full video available here:

More content-based, I think Anna handled it all really well and I found the programme very engaging and informative.

Great to see something a bit different from Sky News. All very positive for me!
jordanhowell, mediamonkeyuk and Meridian AM gave kudos

Newer posts