Media Websites

TV Forum: New for (the middle of) 2020

AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
It certainly seems useful but I got the impression from the discussion above that there was still a bit of a problem with short replies

It's new, a result of the recent discussion. Hopefully acts as a little reminder about whether a post really needs to be made.

And while I'm here, a quick thank you to everyone who has started creating new topics too - I think it's been a positive move.
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Hi Asa, this is a minor annoyance but it's happened a few times now - when adding a YouTube video to a post, my reflex action is to hit ctrl-V then return. Unfortunately hitting return at this point submits the (incomplete) post rather than adding the video tag to editor. Is that something you could take a look at at some point?
Write that down in your copybook now.
EL
elmarko Central Reporting Scotland
That has caught me out too. Assume something to do with focus changing post-upload and then enter triggers the form submit button
JO
Joe
I feel like I’m reading about every BBC regional news presenter departure in 15 different threads at the moment.
AN
Anglialad Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Joe posted:
I feel like I’m reading about every BBC regional news presenter departure in 15 different threads at the moment.

Sounds like TV Forum is becoming the ideal venue for retirement parties.
commseng - "Radio Homicide would be murder to listen to".
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
Is that something you could take a look at at some point?

A good shout Steve, this has been fixed.
elmarko and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos

12 days later

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
The tooltip for PIDLE if it appears too far "into" the post (ie past the halfway point of the screen) causes scrollbars to appear on the bottom of the browser window, as can be seen here (I'm in 1920x1080 and 150% zoom in Windows 10):
https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1269927#post-1269927

(PIDLE in this post where its further to the left isn't affected)

9 days later

PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
How often are users allowed to change usernames? I have changed mine and realised I actually would have preferred to only slightly amend my old one, not go for a full on change.

I amended it on 1st October, how long do I have to wait to change it again? Thanks.
CH
chris Granada North West Today
Could I propose that topic-threads such as the “Coronavirus” and “US Election” are closed and similar are discouraged?

I find that it leads to a megathread in which genuinely interesting presentation gets lost, and is often filled with posts like this, that aren’t related to TV Presentation.

Completely understand the want for a thread to cover a big breaking story, but for issues that last for weeks, if not months, I’m not sure it works.

Happy to be voted down of course if others like them!
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
I think you need a thread for the US election, but perhaps coverage of the aftermath could be split into different threads. Bit more difficult this year of course as the actual election dragged on for days rather than getting the result overnight, but certainly now it could be split.
IS
Inspector Sands
I think you need a thread for the US election, but perhaps coverage of the aftermath could be split into different threads. Bit more difficult this year of course as the actual election dragged on for days rather than getting the result overnight, but certainly now it could be split.

Is there really much going on in 'the aftermath'. It's all over bar the formalities next month and unless anything totally unexpected happens there'll be no particular news coverage until the inauguration.

The fact the thread has gone very quiet suggests it's dying out naturally
TE
tesandco Founding member Granada North West Today
Took me a little while to work out what was causing this yesterday, but I'm guessing that the forum doesn't generate thumbnails for PNG images. Normally fine, but means if someone posts up an 8000x4500 PNG mock (as has been done in the Children In Need thread), the homepage downloads the full image every time someone opens it then squashes it into the thumbnail space. Resulting in some quite sluggish rendering on mobile browsers in particular.
TV Whirl - Still covering UK idents, presentation, teletext and programmes after 19 years

Newer posts