Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
DTV posted:
HIGNFY must hold the distinction for longest running show with the same set? (I know they change the newspaper cutouts on the back for each series but it's the same overall design)

It's definitely the same design (although in the early years it wasn't always red), but I do wonder how long the physical set for a show like that lasts. I imagine it's a bit of the 'broomstick conundrum'.

Sets on shows which film in set-strike-set studios can start to show their age after a few months, especially if being stored off-site. Quite often they just need a touch-up to look decent on camera though.
MA
madmusician
So here's something quite fun that I found a little earlier:

Posted by Mitch himself, Live and Kicking visits Network 1 in TVC, including a look at the network director, the breakdown slide, the CA, the tape machines and more!

Whilst I've seen the Zoe and Jamie (and Mr Blobby) visit to network control posted here before (featuring Zeb Soanes in the announcer's chair), this behind-the-scenes visit was new to me.

(The segment in question starts at 8:45)
SO
Soupnzi
An interesting junction from BBC2 this day thirty years ago, at the tail end of the pre-corporate era. First a slide for BBC Radio Kent, then a specially made joint HIGNFY/Monty Python trail of the kind you don't really see now.

It also reminds me that I've noticed in the show's early years, they seemed unsure as to whether the title of HIGNFY ended with a question mark or not. (Surely the answer is not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAZorIDpssI

The warning at the start of Red Dwarf is rather curious, not least because we didn’t used to get many back then. Why was it not done by the CA? Or is it the set-up for a joke later on or something?
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kucT9Ri25mA

Posted by Mitch himself, Live and Kicking visits Network 1 in TVC, including a look at the network director, the breakdown slide, the CA, the tape machines and more!

Whilst I've seen the Zoe and Jamie (and Mr Blobby) visit to network control posted here before (featuring Zeb Soanes in the announcer's chair), this behind-the-scenes visit was new to me.

(The segment in question starts at 8:45)

Great find, you can tell how geeky Andi is about everything. Plus, in the director's chair is a lovely person I worked with many years later and would constantly bombard with questions about the old days and the Broom Cupboard.

An interesting junction from BBC2 this day thirty years ago, at the tail end of the pre-corporate era. First a slide for BBC Radio Kent, then a specially made joint HIGNFY/Monty Python trail of the kind you don't really see now.

It also reminds me that I've noticed in the show's early years, they seemed unsure as to whether the title of HIGNFY ended with a question mark or not. (Surely the answer is not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAZorIDpssI

The warning at the start of Red Dwarf is rather curious, not least because we didn’t used to get many back then. Why was it not done by the CA? Or is it the set-up for a joke later on or something?

That's from Polymorph, it's part of the episode. Think it's more of a tone-setter than done for any compliance reason, although it was a show a lot of kids (including the eight-year-old me) seemed to be allowed to stay up past the watershed to watch, and this episode was a bit scarier than usual.
UKnews, DE88 and Soupnzi gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

That is the transmission area known as the NTA (Network Transmission Area) which opened in 1995, so it was new when that was broadcast. You can tell by how clean it looks.
DE88 and Hatton Cross gave kudos
GO
gottago
Description: 'As part of the BBC's Music Live weekend in 2000, a band was created, its members voted for, its wardrobe selected, and its song chosen by the British public'.

The internet doesn't seem to have any other evidence that this band existed at all, other than a forum post on Digital Spy…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVrUkXWaPD4

There was a thread on here (or maybe it was in this thread) fairly recently about BBC Music Live and it had a clip of the selection process for this band which was literally about 20 people stepping forward to badly sing about 15 seconds of a song (possibly Bring It All Back by S Club?) with a phone number at the bottom of the screen for each of them. It was, of course, impossible to gauge how good any of them were and I expect most of the people who phoned and voted were likely friends and family of the singers!
VM
VMPhil
Keep forgetting to post this. An Audience with Michael Parkinson, produced in Australia and I don't think ever shown here? A great shame because it is a really fascinating retrospective of his career, not just the talk show. In particular for me, the story at 49:05 about his time working for a newspaper and doing the obituaries is really poignant and has stayed with me.

It's in the wrong aspect ratio of course, but you can't have everything.

JO
Joe
stretch.site
VM
VMPhil
Great site but not very useful when you want to watch it on YouTube on your TV!
IS
Inspector Sands

Great find, you can tell how geeky Andi is about everything. Plus, in the director's chair is a lovely person I worked with many years later and would constantly bombard with questions about the old days and the Broom Cupboard.

Yes, she is lovely. She was well known for bringing her knitting into the suite. She retired only a few years ago.
DE88 and Blake Connolly gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member
Yes, she is lovely. She was well known for bringing her knitting into the suite. She retired only a few years ago.

Talking of knitting in the continuity suite, here's the late Annie St. John doing just that... (6.56 in)

RO
rob Founding member
Andy Crane hands over to Philip Hayton in the BBC Newsroom for a news report regarding the Lockerbie bombing.

Newer posts