The Newsroom

BBC Regional SD/HD Transmissions

Was BBC Regional Redundancies

SE
TheSebastian
I'm not that familiar with BBC working practices, and how that might impact budget and staffing.

How many people in a typical 1830 production gallery (in normal times)

Are all the BBC regions using IP contribution with LiveU type kit regularly or do they all still have DSNG vans? Do reporters do self link as well as self shoot or basic stand ups etc?

I'm assuming production shooting cameras, edit and matching video servers are mainly HD now (via quicker replacement/shorter life , and fact HD has been primary option for 10 years for most vendors) so it's mainly studio hardware routing, switching, graphics, coders and cameras to replace.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
I think the trouble with how furloughing was initially set up (though I understand the BBC were not part of the government scheme) was it forced companies to work with less people - and clearly when they realised things still worked with less staff at a time when less money was coming in many have taken that as a sign they can reduce staff. There is of course some logic there but in addition any company needs a bit of slack too so that things do run smoothly when there are reduced staff numbers - arguably had some of the changes being implemented been in place at the beginning of the year it would have been much more difficult to continue "business as usual" when you've already had your staffing cut to the bone.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
I actually doubt anybody other than 'people like us' who have sat through the regional news, see the One Show in HD.

As the London area accounts for about 25% of England's population, then at a stroke 1 in 4 HD viewers could at least have the correct regional news on BBC 1 HD, but the Beeb continues to cut its nose to spite its face....

Which inherently means that 75% of England's population (i.e. the MAJORITY of England's licence fee payers) would be getting explicitly the wrong region on HD!

Well, governments in some democracies get elected in on similar 'majorities' !)

The Beeb don't seem to have any 'hang ups' about filling the regional slots on the News Channel version of Breakfast with London News ? Cool

I'm not that familiar with BBC working practices, and how that might impact budget and staffing.

How many people in a typical 1830 production gallery (in normal times)

And how do those figures compare with ITV regions ? (Both single region sites (Granada, London) and multi-region
sites, (WestCountry, Meridian etc) ?
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
MK
Mr Kite Granada North West Today
I actually doubt anybody other than 'people like us' who have sat through the regional news, see the One Show in HD.

As the London area accounts for about 25% of England's population, then at a stroke 1 in 4 HD viewers could at least have the correct regional news on BBC 1 HD, but the Beeb continues to cut its nose to spite its face....

Which inherently means that 75% of England's population (i.e. the MAJORITY of England's licence fee payers) would be getting explicitly the wrong region on HD!

With respect, so what? If the rest of us don't have our local news in HD in the first place, then we lose nothing. As farcical as the situation with HD BBC regions is, depriving a good chunk of the population of getting their correct local news in HD just because much of the rest of the country can't have it, is rather daft. Those unwilling to press a button on their remote to watch their own region on SD can't care all that much about it to begin with.
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight

The Beeb don't seem to have any 'hang ups' about filling the regional slots on the News Channel version of Breakfast with London News ? Cool

That's because the cost of filling what is a total of 50 minutes a week (5 days of 4x 2.5 slots), would be stupid. What are you going to do in that time, extra international news? a return of UK Today? It's pointless for such a minor amount of time per week.
MA

That's because the cost of filling what is a total of 50 minutes a week (5 days of 4x 2.5 slots), would be stupid. What are you going to do in that time, extra international news? a return of UK Today? It's pointless for such a minor amount of time per week.

Well, I could turn the argument round, why not do as BBC 1 HD does in those slots and show a caption ?
--
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight

Well, I could turn the argument round, why not do as BBC 1 HD does in those slots and show a caption ?

Really??? You're going to suggest that a news channel show a static caption for 2.5 minutes a time, every time??? Say the words out loud, and you'll realise how insane they sound. The reason they use BBC London is simple. It's the default for network BBC1 anyway for the regions to opt out of. And if you're showing it on the news channel as well, then might as well just include it as try to do something else with the slot anyway.
MA

Really??? You're going to suggest that a news channel show a static caption for 2.5 minutes a time, every time??? Say the words out loud, and you'll realise how insane they sound. The reason they use BBC London is simple. It's the default for network BBC1 anyway for the regions to opt out of. And if you're showing it on the news channel as well, then might as well just include it as try to do something else with the slot anyway.

So how's that still acceptable on BBC 1 HD then ?

By the way, try not to be so rude and please calm down, it does you no credit
--
PE
Pete Founding member North Reporting Scotland
Distribution of every regional BBC One feed on satellite in HD will either need a lot of additional transponder capacity (and that costs a lot more money) or the BBC might have to do what ITV has started to do, which is reduce the number of SD regions on satellite to free up capacity for more HD services (though the BBC may feel it can't do that in the way ITV can because of their licence fee funding)

So on Virgin Media we've already got rid of BBC One Scotland SD and 101 is now the HD version. I suppose Virgin are a bit more forceful than Sky in terms of replacing non-HD equipment (think they killed of the last SD only boxes a while ago?). What proportion of Sky's boxes are likely to be SD only still? Do their HD boxes downscale for SD displays?
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
MA
Pete posted:
Distribution of every regional BBC One feed on satellite in HD will either need a lot of additional transponder capacity (and that costs a lot more money) or the BBC might have to do what ITV has started to do, which is reduce the number of SD regions on satellite to free up capacity for more HD services (though the BBC may feel it can't do that in the way ITV can because of their licence fee funding)

So on Virgin Media we've already got rid of BBC One Scotland SD and 101 is now the HD version. I suppose Virgin are a bit more forceful than Sky in terms of replacing non-HD equipment (think they killed of the last SD only boxes a while ago?). What proportion of Sky's boxes are likely to be SD only still? Do their HD boxes downscale for SD displays?

The older HD boxes had Scart ouputs, so yes. The present Sky Q box is HDMI only, I don't think any TVs with HDMI inputs are SD anyway? Even if so, you should be able to drive the box to output 576? (SD)
--
VA
valley
Pete posted:

Considering Sky phased out SD boxes in 2010, I can’t imagine it’s very high.
SE
TheSebastian
Pete posted:

Considering Sky phased out SD boxes in 2010, I can’t imagine it’s very high.

SSSL the epg/encryption bit of Sky were suggesting over 1.8 million SD decoders are still active at end 2019 . Many used as secondary boxes.

Given the overall decline of the Sky platform (according to BARB universe data) the percent SD only will obviously fall, but its still significant - and more than total number of Freesat platform devices in use.

Newer posts