TV Home Forum

Fred Dinenage and ITV How

WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
Incidentally, Southern Television did not sell its network archive when it lost its franchise. It actually continued holding and exploiting the rights independently until 1988 when it was bought by Primetime, which ten years later was bought by Southern Star. I once saw an email from Southern Star claiming they only held Southern Television material deemed saleable internationally and they hold no black and white footage.
IS
Inspector Sands
I wouldn't have thought that much of Southerns programme output would have been left in the building 20 years later. The Wessex Film archive say they only have 'local TV and radio programmes'

And in the early days it was a local programme, which is why the WFSA is the best bet.

Local as in local news and current affairs. The 3 stations in the south sold on their news archives to their successors as there's not much else that can be done with them and little resale value. Something like How wouldn't have been included in that, I doubt the original series even still existed in 1982

The same happened with ATV/Central.
IS
Inspector Sands
Incidentally, Southern Television did not sell its network archive when it lost its franchise. It actually continued holding and exploiting the rights independently until 1988 when it was bought by Primetime, which ten years later was bought by Southern Star. I once saw an email from Southern Star claiming they only held Southern Television material deemed saleable internationally and they hold no black and white footage.

Makes sense, why would they want anything not saleable?

The BFI hold Southerns paperwork archive, apparently its the only complete set of paperwork existing from an ITV company, although it's not catalogued yet:
https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=AH%2FI023996%2F1
WH
There are certainly a broad range of Southern programmes in the WFSA archive, not just news/current affairs, so who knows. But I agree its likely that early How hasn't survived unless it's in someone's private collection. We'd have surely seen a clip of it by now.

I do wonder if TVS had to get any sort of permission from the rights holder of How in order to produce How 2.

EDIT: Nothing in the credits for the TVS series but in much later Scottish TV series the format is credited to Southern Star.
Last edited by Whataday on 18 October 2020 3:56pm
WH
The BFI hold Southerns paperwork archive, apparently its the only complete set of paperwork existing from an ITV company, although it's not catalogued yet:
https://gtr.ukri.org/projects?ref=AH%2FI023996%2F1

I guess that makes sense considering Southern continue to manage its archive for a good few years after losing its franchise. I imagine Thames' archive is pretty in tact too.
IS
Inspector Sands

I guess that makes sense considering Southern continue to manage its archive for a good few years after losing its franchise. I imagine Thames' archive is pretty in tact too.

Unless it was given to an archive like the BFI it's unlikely.

Thames continued as an active TV company after it went off air rather than what happened to Southern of ending up just as a company with a lot of film, tapes and documentation.

I'd have thought Thames would have kept anything for as long as they were needed/obliged to and then junked it as any company would. They moved out of both Euston and Teddington in the next 7 years so had 2 chances for a clear out. Fremantle won't be sitting on a load of documentation of when it was an ITV company, unless It's HR records of any remaining staff. That is of course except for paperwork concerning their programme archive.

Incidently, Thames had storage space near Teddington Studios, I know that was being cleared out in about 1994. Some of my friends got a work experience placement with them, but instead of anything exciting like making programmes they were clearing out the warehouse. The main thing they said that was skipped was a load of animation cells from their Cosgrove Hall productions. One of my them was wise enough to liberate a few and years later gradually released them on Ebay Cool

In fact I've got some scripts of a famous Thames show that I rescued from a skip at Teddington when I worked there

Sorry for going off topic
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 18 October 2020 5:24pm - 2 times in total
JO
Josh
Going back on topic, this video from How 2 explains the backstory behind the How hand gesture:
Fan of the media industry from the UK.
WH
A not entirely accurate explanation of the "How" greeting.

Possibly some artistic licence being used with the 'letters of complaint' too? How likely would episode 1 have gone out before they recorded episode 6?
JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
It aired once a week, so was it made at the same pace, no more than a month in advance? If so, it is possible.
WH
Obviously it's possible, but would they really shoot one a week, close to transmission? Seems unlikely for that sort of show.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Its not unheard of to record a series of something that generates loads of complaints about something on it and go back and change the offending item (as happened with the new "intense" clock music on Countdown in 1996, though it wasn't referenced on air IIRC).

Could be artistic licence for How 2, but equally could have been dropped in as a pick-up filmed insert weeks later. Soaps are good at rapidly turning round rapid inserts so it could have been done here, albeit not a priority for a Children's ITV programme but...
MU
Multi Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
The press release said it would be simulcast on ITV. I wonder what slot this will be in? Saturday mornings perhaps?

Newer posts