TV Home Forum

Integrated sponsorship in titles

Split from Challenge - June 2016 onwards

PE
Pete Founding member North Reporting Scotland
Slightly off topic I know but is there anything more iconic of 90s TV than that Wish You Were Here theme?

Given everything that's going on in the world, it only makes you yearn to jet off to somewhere new. Especially if Barclaycard are paying.

Oh it's wonderful isn't it. As VMPhil mentioned it's on Spotify and other streaming platforms, although oddly the original album it was on has the cuts between songs a second out so the version from the best of is better.

That extra bit of This Morning is magnificent, i've never heard that before.

Also that Better Homes show had a pair of joiner twins who went on to be the twins in The Matrix.

So when did this level of integration stop?
ELM 2011: I am sick of been persicuted by you immature TV Forumers!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
More from that period when every ITV gameshow used to have newspaper sponsorship.

Lucky Numbers

Talking Telephone numbers with loads of Daily Mirror logos throughout the titles
HC
Hatton Cross Central (West) Midlands Today
Pete posted:

Oh it's wonderful isn't it. As VMPhil mentioned it's on Spotify and other streaming platforms, although oddly the original album it was on has the cuts between songs a second out so the version from the best of is better.

And for those viewers without a Spotify account .. https://youtu.be/MYMqsrCAteI
Readers are warned that this post contains some flash photography
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
I miss these in a way, it felt like there was a lot more creativity in making them quite seamless with the title sequence.

Appreciate they would be an absolute pain for repeats once the sponsorship had lapsed though. Or alternatively, more effort to ensure a clean version was created at the same time.
DE88, TVArchive and Brekkie gave kudos
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Though I imagine they weren't expecting these shows to be repeated in later years, and indeed most of them haven't been.
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
Early Millionaire used to have the sponsor logo on their break stings.

I think the practice continued when Millionaire dropped The Sun as a sponsor and Jacobs took over.

Notice how tacky The Sun sponsorship ads are, clearly created when Millionaire was going to be more brash in style.
GO
gottago London London
When was the last time a newspaper sponsored a show? I can't think of any in recent years at all, there seems to be loads in the 90s.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
This thread brings back a lot of memories and I never quite realised how in-your-face some of these were. It certainly seems less so now.
GM
Gary McEwan Central Reporting Scotland
When was the last time a newspaper sponsored a show? I can't think of any in recent years at all, there seems to be loads in the 90s.

Even The Daily Mirror sponsored Take Your Pick in 1996.
JL
JamesLaverty1925 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Over to Channel 4. Countdown was briefly sponsored by The Times in 1994, and although I can't find the clips, I've seen it on YT before, with instead of the usual sting before the break, the sponsorship logo came up. I think it invoved a pencil with The Times logo ticking round a clock.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
And not so much integrated sponsorship (at all actually) but when Countdown was sponsored by I think Cod Liver Oil they had separate stings which introduced the idea of a conundrum for viewers to solve over the break which was then incorporated into the show itself when the sponsor later changed.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
XI
Xilla
1:42

Indeed it was Seven Seas.

Newer posts